Declan Rice departs West Ham United

Comments

• They have a good FA Cup record, which as an Englishman Dec may aspire to want to win.

But in terms of winning the PL, I don’t see that happening. They’ve not won it for 20 years. I also don’t see them as strong enough to win the CL.
  • I suppose the good thing for him is that he's still only 24. If he goes to Arsenal and they achieve nothing over the next 3 or 4 years, he can get another move at 27/28 where he'll be reaching his prime and may have his pick of top European clubs.

And then when he's 34 with two dodgy knees he can come back to Stratford.
  • I think his next move will be his last if it’s in England.
  • He strikes me as someone who likes the story of it all. He probably likes the idea of taking on Man City and being part of something magic, rather than joining them and being another cog in a machine. Maybe I’m wrong, but him dragging Arsenal up to the title (maybe) puts him in Balon d’Or conversations. Doing it at Man City or Bayern people will just say “well they would have done it without him”. He wants the love, he wants to be The Guy.
  • I’m not ruling Chelsea out of this
    They are having a midfield revamp and can see them coming back in
  • Ravel49 said:

I’m not ruling Chelsea out of this
    They are having a midfield revamp and can see them coming back in

Not if his BFF Mason Mount goes to Manure.
  • I think he still would go tbh
    He stays in LDN
    Gets to work with Poch
    I know Chelsea have had a terrible season but I believe they will be back again
  • We’ve known this has been coming for a long time, but man I really want him to stay. When he goes I’m going to be properly gutted.
  • Ravel49 said:

I think he still would go tbh
    He stays in LDN
    Gets to work with Poch
    I know Chelsea have had a terrible season but I believe they will be back again

Yeah, I can see Chelsea being better more successful than Arsenal over the next few years. Can't shake the feeling that this Arsenal season was a bit of a one-off.
  • Seen a couple of reports that, having been on the FFP watchlist with UEFA since September, we need this money to ensure we fall inline with guidelines.
  • edited June 2023
    Sorry, what? I know we bought in a few players last season but that followed some very limited transfer windows and most of those transfers were fairly reasonably priced. I did wonder if we were spending the Rice money in advance last season (which would mean we haven't done very well with it) but I would struggle to understand how we'd be on an FFP watchlist.
  • Reports from CIES Football Observatory claim that the Hammers have a net spend of minus €207million (-£183.1m) for this season and since the start of the 2018/19 season, have a net spend of -€435m (-£384.9m) in the past five seasons, the fifth highest in the whole of Europe
  • We've been pretty terrible at selling players for anything like their value, so I can see how we've gotten to that situation.
  • He should sort it out quickly in one phone call.

'That you Pep? do you want me? no, ok speak to you next year'

'Right lads bring on the Europa now!'
  • Can anyone recall ( I'm happy to do the legwork myself, if not) the game early on in his first team career where Dec had a mare and was taken off at half time?

2 seasons ago?
    Pre pandemic?

Gimme a starting point!
  • MrsGrey said:

Can anyone recall ( I'm happy to do the legwork myself, if not) the game early on in his first team career where Dec had a mare and was taken off at half time?

2 seasons ago?
    Pre pandemic?

Gimme a starting point!

So long ago he was Irish.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/football/declan-rice-hooked-off-half-time-172311
  • Thanks alderz.

So long ago he was Irish 😂

Imagine. Manuel Pellegrini... Robert Snodgrass. Yikes.
  • Bayern Munich's top midfield transfer target is West Ham's Rice but Arsenal remain favourites to sign him. (Sky Sport Germany, in German)
  • edited June 2023
    I just really hope we don’t budge on our asking price. We sold Payet for £25m, Arnautovic for £20m. You know that Southampton will get £60m for JWP in the Championship. We need to hold out for £100m & be prepared to keep Rice if we don’t get it. None of this £80m with add-ons or players included.
  • £92m is the figure that keeps getting thrown out there.
    Not sure how that figure is constructed tho, future add ons etc
  • Lukerz said:

I just really hope we don’t budge on our asking price. We sold Payet for £25m, Arnautovic for £20m. You know that Southampton will get £60m for JWP in the Championship. We need to hold out for £100m & be prepared to keep Rice if we don’t get it. None of this £80m with add-ons or players included.

I agree with what you're saying re. Rice, but genuinely can't see Soton getting anywhere near £60m for JWP. For me, I wouldn't pay more than £30m, but I can see him going for £35-40m. No-one is going to pay £60m imo, given the relegation, regardless of what Soton want for him.
  • I think he’ll stay then. Point is they will ask for £60m & if they don’t he’ll probably stay in the Champ for a year.
  • Lukerz said:

I think he’ll stay then. Point is they will ask for £60m & if they don’t he’ll probably stay in the Champ for a year.

Depends if he has a relegation clause, which I doubt, in his contract to some extent.
  • I think the board will look to get a deal on par with Bellinghams to Real Madrid, 85m with 25m in bonuses allegedly
  • edited June 2023
    Seen a few Twitter comments claiming Sullivan can’t wait to sell Rice & Rice probably doesn’t even want to go.

Let’s remember, Rice hasn’t signed a new deal, so not much Sullivan can do.
  • Maybe a u-turn with a new 5 year deal & a £120m release clause?
  • Sully will be sweating on that clip !
  • Sully will be sweating on that clip !

Apparently Sully's ordered a shed load of Imodium =) =) =)
  • If only that was the whole truth 🙏