Declan Rice departs West Ham United

Comments

• edited June 2023
    But he wants to win things. He’s not likely to win the PL at Arsenal. Certainly not the CL.
  • Of course he wants to win things, but not just anything.
  • Don’t think the Bundesliga is any old league. Bellingham appeared to be in tears when Dortmund blew it last week.
    He could go to City and play 3 or 4 games and claim to be a double winner, no satisfaction in that.
  • I don't think he will end up ay Bayern but if he wanted to try something different he is probably in a great place to dictate a contract. He could potentially ask a buy out clause that can be actioned after two years providing the original fee paid is offered.

At this point I am just happy with each club that registers an interest in the hope it gets us a larger fee.
  • Four year deal, means he leaves at 28 or they sell him earlier to make money on him. He probably wins half a dozen trophies.

In world football, not many clubs bigger than Bayern.
  • Obviously players want to win things but I see it more as Dec wants to be at a club thats at the very least capable of challenging for cups and titles. I know they arent in the CL next season but I think Dec would be amazing at.... Liverpool ;)

If he does go to Arsenal or Man Utd at least he will feel that both clubs have aspirations and capacity to challenge for top things every season. They might not win anything at all but Dec being there won't harm their chances.

Just not Man City please!
  • Bazshuayi said:

Obviously players want to win things but I see it more as Dec wants to be at a club thats at the very least capable of challenging for cups and titles. I know they arent in the CL next season but I think Dec would be amazing at.... Liverpool ;)

If he does go to Arsenal or Man Utd at least he will feel that both clubs have aspirations and capacity to challenge for top things every season. They might not win anything at all but Dec being there won't harm their chances.

Just not Man City please!

Both Liverpool and Man Utd could really use Rice imo, and if it wasn't for his apparent preference for a London club you'd feel either would be a very attractive move. However, given Liverpool supposedly said Bellingham was too expensive at similar money to what we're asking for Rice, I can't see them being in for Rice.
  • If Rice only really wants to move to a London c!ub it limits the transfer fee the club would get ,Better for an auction if he would move anywhere
  • Thing is if a non London team make a much higher offer what can Dec really do about it? If he refuses then that doesn’t reflect well on him in a way…
    Just hope it is done sooner rather than later, just like any decision re Moyes staying or going….
  • Surely Rice goes where he wants to go, why would he go to somewhere he doesn't want to be? It's down to the Club to sort out the fee.
  • Personally I can see this being concluded in early July.
    After the cup final I assume he has a few days off then meets up with the England training camp. England fixtures 16th and 19th and then I reckon he will have his proper holiday (with mason mount). Then back to business.
  • IronHerb said:

Surely Rice goes where he wants to go, why would he go to somewhere he doesn't want to be? It's down to the Club to sort out the fee.

It’s a bit of both, isn’t it. He needs to want to go somewhere, that somewhere needs to be able to offer him and us what we want. If he doesn’t get what he wants he doesn’t go there, if we don’t get what we want he doesn’t go there.

If the club can’t sort out the fee he stays put, surely?

I really don’t want us held to ransom or feeling like we have to sell him for under his value. I’m sure Crystal Palace would have preferred to get money for Zaha, but I’m also sure they are happier to have had him for the past few years and lose him for free. We should be comfortable doing the same, IMO, if we can’t get a good price.
  • Agree. And I don't know how this works but maybe Rice could sign a new deal if that was the case but have a low buy out clause. 40 or 50m?
  • Hamstew said:

Agree. And I don't know how this works but maybe Rice could sign a new deal if that was the case but have a low buy out clause. 40 or 50m?

Absolutely no point in it being that low, we could still get more than that next summer without a new contract. If he can't get a move this summer (no club that he wants to go to meets our price), then try one last contract offer. 4 years (so an extra 2 years), but with a £100m buyout. He finally gets decent money, but knows he can leave easily enough next summer if he still wants to go, and we get him for at least another year and are guaranteed a decent price (compared to if he doesn't sign a new contract) if and when he goes.
  • IronHerb said:

Surely Rice goes where he wants to go, why would he go to somewhere he doesn't want to be? It's down to the Club to sort out the fee.

Personally don’t think it is that easy IMO.
    We hold the cards not him.
    If he’s desired destination is Arsenal but they don’t meet our valuation, but let’s say Man U do, then what happens…..
    We should not ( not saying we are or will be ) held to ransom by Rice and his demands no matter what he’s done for the club.
    Saying all that I hope if he does leave it’s to the club he wants to go to, as long as they pay what we want…
  • By the same reasoning Rice doesn't need to anything and go on a free a year or two down the line.
  • IronHerb said:

By the same reasoning Rice doesn't need to anything and go on a free a year or two down the line.

Indeed, but he's potentially passing up 2 seasons in a better team during his peak years.
  • My point is that should Man U offer £150m it doesn't mean we can force him to go there if his heart is set somewhere else.
  • Yeah for sure. But he also must accept that if Arsenal offer £50m and he says he only wants to go there, he can’t force us to accept. This is what I mean by us needing to get comfortable with the possibility of him leaving on a free in two years.
  • Fabrizio Romano claims that Arsenal have a verbal agreement with Youri Tielemans who will leave Leicester on a free

He's a like-for-like replacement for Xhaka so if they hang onto Partey do they need Rice?
  • Rice is an upgrade on Partey, but hopefully that means he either spends next season with us or abroad.
  • edited June 2023
    http://www.skysports.com/share/12896812

Why all-action Rice appeals to Europes elite
  • Manchester United are interested in Bayern Munich and Germany midfielder Leon Goretzka. The German champions could offload the 28-year-old to fund a move for West Ham's 24-year-old England midfielder Declan Rice. (Sky Germany)
  • At the moment there's a lot of speculation going on about my future. There is interest from other clubs but ultimately I still have two years left at West Ham.

I love this club and I love playing for this club. My focus is playing for West Ham at the moment. I'm captain of this club and I can't speak highly enough of this place. Let's just see what happens. Let's wait and see. Who knows

• I was shocked when he said 2 years
  • As positive a comment as we could’ve hoped for
  • Why shocked. I thought it was facts out there?
  • Just thought it was 1 year
  • Hamstew said:

Just thought it was 1 year

1 year and the 1 year option