Declan Rice departs West Ham United

Comments

• Couldn’t they have come up with a better name than Denver Nuggets? 🤔
  • Couldn’t they have come up with a better name than Denver Nuggets? 🤔

Something to do with striking gold I think.
  • Didn’t they just win the NBA playoffs?
  • No, the World Series of putting the ball through the hoop.
  • IronHerb said:

Didn’t they just win the NBA playoffs?

Yes
  • edited June 2023
    Apparently £70m plus Philips will be the offer.
  • Hamstew said:

Definitely not enough, Phillips should be valued at about £20m after the season he's just had, injury, then overweight and had his commitement questioned by Pep.
  • According to Transfermarkt, Declan Rice's market value is £80m, and Kalvin Phillips' is £35m. I have no idea how they calculate that, but let's remember that the guy was worth £50m a year ago. I agree that his price should be lower based on contribution, but I'm not sure that it should have more than halved - particularly as he's got five years left on his contract.

FTR I also think Rice's market value is irrelevant, as the only value that should matter is what we want to accept.
  • Phillips would be a gamble ,might work but why risk it ,now if City offered 95m and phillips okay
  • edited June 2023
    The one it works best for is Phillips as he needs to play regular football and that wont happen at City. He has winners medals for his trophy cabinet now but really needs play football and realise his potential to try and return to the England team. We are perfect for him I feel. We are in the Europa, have a decent squad even without Rice and hopefully will look to improve again with the money spent well.

It can't be a long term plan for him to just sit on a bench and watch his teammates win medals for him as he gets the odd twenty minutes here and there.
  • edited June 2023

Couldn’t they have come up with a better name than Denver Nuggets? 🤔

For starters the team was supposed to be in Kansas City, MI but they couldn't find a suitable stadium so in April 1967 they moved to Denver as the Denver Larks, named after the Colorado state bird, the Lark Bunting.

In June they were bought out by the owner of Ringsby Rocket Trucking and the name was changed to Denver Rockets before they played their first game in October

In 1974 they switched from the ABA to the more successful NBA but as the NBA already had the Houston Rockets they had to pick a new name and chose Nuggets which was the name of Denver's previous basketball team (1932 - 51)

The original Nuggets had other names: Refiners (50-51), American Legion (41-44), Ambrose Jellymakers (45-46) and Safeway Pigs (32-38)

Maybe Nuggets isn't such a bad choice after all...
  • edited June 2023
    Sounds awful though.
    Should have been Dinosaurs

• Although their badge seems strangely familiar.
  • It wasn't always like that

• Should have been the Denver Pickaxes going their badge.
  • edited June 2023

Couldn’t they have come up with a better name than Denver Nuggets? 🤔

For starters the team was supposed to be in Kansas City, MI but they couldn't find a suitable stadium so in April 1967 they moved to Denver as the Denver Larks, named after the Colorado state bird, the Lark Bunting.

In June they were bought out by the owner of Ringsby Rocket Trucking and the name was changed to Denver Rockets before they played their first game in October

In 1974 they switched from the ABA to the more successful NBA but as the NBA already had the Houston Rockets they had to pick a new name and chose Nuggets which was the name of Denver's previous basketball team (1932 - 51)

The original Nuggets had other names: Refiners (50-51), American Legion (41-44), Ambrose Jellymakers (45-46) and Safeway Pigs (32-38)

Maybe Nuggets isn't such a bad choice after all...
    This reminds me of one of my favourite things - the Philippines Basketball Association - and in particular TNT Tropang Giga.

They were founded in 1990 as the Pepsi Hotshots, but in 1992 their name was changed to the 7-Up Uncolas, but that only lasted for a year before they become what is imo their ultimate form - the Pepsi Mega Bottlers (aka Spurs lol). They were the Mega Bottlers for 3 years, then they become Mobiline Cellulars for a year, Mobiline Phone Pals for 4 years, and then spent 7 years as the Talk N Text Phone Pals. Since then they've had some very boring names, which is a real shame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNT_Tropang_Giga

My favourite team in the PBA though, is the San Miguel Beermen. They have a couple of excellent former names too, such as the Magnolia Ice Cream Makers, Magnolia Cheese Makers and Magnolia Beverage Makers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Miguel_Beermen
  • Friday afternoon fun facts.
  • Brings new meaning to blessed are the Magnolia Cheese Makers.
  • Wolves agree deal with Al-Hilal for Ruben Neves of £47m. He has one year left on his contract.

Makes Rice worth a bare minimum of £94m then doesn’t it, with two years left. Not to mention that Rice is arguably better.
  • edited June 2023
    Is this saudi thing going to be a problem, Stealing all the players seem to have been players past there sell on date ,but Neves is only 26 ,how many more will follow him
  • Why on earth would Neves be going to Saudi? Apart from the vast money of course.
  • edited June 2023

Why on earth would Neves be going to Saudi? Apart from the vast money of course.

It's been suggested on KUMB that he could then get loaned to Newcastle on the cheap as a way around FFP 🤔🤔🤔.
  • steve said:

Is this saudi thing going to be a problem, Stealing all the players seem to have been players past there sell on date ,but Neves is only 26 ,how many more will follow him

It was in the media the other day that they would start with the players looking for one last really massive pay cheque then move onto the next layer age wise. It appears they have started on that plan earlier than expected.
  • Why on earth would Neves be going to Saudi? Apart from the vast money of course.

It's been suggested on KUMB that he could then get loaned to Newcastle on the cheap as a way around FFP 🤔🤔🤔.
    Well, both clubs are owned by the PIF.

Bit like the Pozzos (Watford, Udinese) loaning players back and forth.

If the FFP rules permit it, they should be tightened up.
  • Re: will players follow him. It reminds me of Oscar to China. The first top younger player to go, and probably the last too.
  • There welcome to Grealish,Kane,Salah to name just 3
  • edited June 2023
    I really hope if Arsenal don’t pay up the £120m, we keep him.
  • So do I. It's been a thrill to have two European cup runs in two seasons and he will give us the best chance to have another next season. We can't attract players of his calibre so I would love to keep him as long as possible.
  • Hamstew said:

Definitely not enough, Phillips should be valued at about £20m after the season he's just had, injury, then overweight and had his commitement questioned by Pep.
    If Phillips is having injury problems when working with the arguably the best medical team (and training facilities) in the Premier League, then what hope do we have with our mediocre physios and below-par Rush Green
  • Don’t get that welove. Don’t top surgeons lose a few on the operating table?