Declan Rice departs West Ham United

Comments

• edited June 2023
    Apparently Sullivan has told TalkSport that Rice wants to leave. Haven't heard the interview myself so can't confirm, but I think we all accept that it's true.

Last night's interview probably gave a few some hope, but I think he was being as diplomatic as he could be in the situation. If he had any intention of staying, last night was the perfect opportunity to say so.

So a perfect ending for him; scoring on his last home game and lifting the trophy in his last ever game. No better time for him to leave, to be honest.

Perhaps Sullivan could have kept this quiet for a few more days, or at least until after the bus parade, but if he wants out, get it done.
  • edited June 2023
    There is so much speculation around Declan Rice's future and West Ham chairman David Sullivan has shed some light on the situation.

When asked whether the historic victory over Fiorentina was Rice's last match in a West Ham shirt, Sullivan told talkSPORT: "I think it has to be.

"We promised him he could go. He set his heart on going. You can't ask for a man who has committed more to us this season.

"In due course, he has to get on and we have to get a replacement - or several replacements. It's not something we want to happen. We offered him £200,000-a-week 18 months ago. He turned it down.

"It's cost him £10million to stay at West Ham in that time (in lost wages). And he wants to go. You can't keep a player who doesn't want to be there."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/65841454

He is definitely going. :(
  • "I think it has to be".

I mean, it doesn't have to be, does it? Let him reflect on things for a few days at least. Then he might, might have a change of heart and stay for another season to captain us through another EL campaign.

Sullivan's comments here seem to be pushing him out of the door, almost. I doubt they've spoken since the final whistle so maybe seeing the fans reaction may have convinced Rice to give it another year.

The cynic in me wonders if Sullivan just doesn't want to miss out on the £100m...
  • Just watched the Moyes interview on BBC and made me think what a shame that David Gold wasn't there to see West Ham finally win something.
  • Sounds like to me a deal is already in place in my opinion. Would not be surprised if he signs for another club before he goes away with England.
  • It’s still speculation. We all know that last year he was promised a transfer if he stayed for one more season. Sullivan may just be expressing an opinion that as he was told he can go this summer then he will actually go. He didn’t say, although he may have recently had the conversation, that Rice has specifically said he wants to go now.
    I expect he will but last night on the subject his final comment was “who knows”.
  • edited June 2023

"I think it has to be".

I mean, it doesn't have to be, does it? Let him reflect on things for a few days at least. Then he might, might have a change of heart and stay for another season to captain us through another EL campaign.

Sullivan's comments here seem to be pushing him out of the door, almost. I doubt they've spoken since the final whistle so maybe seeing the fans reaction may have convinced Rice to give it another year.

The cynic in me wonders if Sullivan just doesn't want to miss out on the £100m...

Apart from just generally wishing he would hush up, is it even the best strategy to get the £100m to say "you can't keep a player".
  • "I think it has to be".

Apart from just generally wishing he wouldn't hush up, is it even the best strategy to get the £100m to say "you can't keep a player".

Yeah, this is the thing. How difficult would it have been to say 'we'll have a chat with Dec in the next few days and take it from there'. No need to tell the world that Rice wants out. Probably just knocked £10m off the asking price.
  • edited June 2023
    Absolutely no benefit to Sullivan doing that interview. We know he’s going, Rice has played it down which allowed us to demand a massive fee. Sullivan has now gone & ruined that with those comments that he wants to leave & we will let him go.
  • I don't think that interview will make much difference, tbh. There's no way that Rice's agents aren't staying "he wants to leave and West Ham have promised he can leave" to everyone the're negotiating with anyway. Realistically, everyone knows he's off, everyone knows he wants to go, everyone knows the price we want.

I still think he'll leave for about £85m.

Our record sale is still Dimitri Payet at £25m, btw.
  • Lukerz said:

Absolutely no benefit to Sullivan doing that interview. We know he’s going, Rice has played it down which allowed us to demand a massive fee. Sullivan has now gone & ruined that with those comments that he wants to leave & we will let him go.

I can't decide if Sullivan knew what he was doing, i.e. making it sound like Rice leaving was 100% his choice and and making Sullivan blameless in us losing our best player, or that he's just completely brainless.

Just feels so unnecessary after last night's success.
  • edited June 2023
    Sullivan couldn't even wait till after the bus-top parade, could he? 12 hours and he's spouting off. Last night might even have made Dec have a think about another year, but Sullivan is already counting the money coming in (which will obviously be less now the world and his wife knows Rice is definitely going).

Classless and clueless, as always.
  • edited June 2023
    Personally don't think any blame lies with Sullivan re his comment.
    He is allowed to say what he wants, while there may be a time and place, sometimes we just have to say it as it is, we are all guilty of that, and sometimes the truth hurts, knowing our captain wants out.......
    It has been the worlds worst secret that for ages now, I'd be shocked if winning last makes any difference to his thoughts or to his value we want from the sale.
    After last night and all the owner has put into the club ( financially ) think he deserves a bit of slack, he just IMO told it how it is, and we wishing it could be different, is likely pie in the sky...
    All IMO of course.
  • edited June 2023
    Lukerz said:

But we have known all this for how long?
    The whole world has been told that he'll be free to leave and that is Declan's desire...
  • Personally don't think any blame lies with Sullivan re his comment.
    He is allowed to say what he wants, while there may be a time and place, sometimes we just have to say it as it is, we are all guilty of that, and sometimes the truth hurts, knowing our captain wants out.......
    It has been the worlds worst secret that for ages now, I'd be shocked if winning last makes any difference to his thoughts or to his value we want from the sale.
    After last night and all the owner has put into the club ( financially ) think he deserves a bit of slack, he just IMO told it how it is, and we wishing it could be different, is likely pie in the sky...
    All IMO of course.

The issue for me is that Rice has never said, publicly at least, that he wants out. Even last night he was professional and as diplomatic as he could be.

We all know it was likely to happen, but it's the timing. Now Rice has the bus parade with the fans knowing that he wants out. Just sours what should be a wonderful occasion.

No reason Sullivan couldn't have waited a few days to make this all public. Let the players enjoy the moment, enjoy today and the start talking deals over the weekend.
  • edited June 2023
    I totally get and accept everything you’ve said OCS, and actually agree with you, BUT while Rice has never perhaps said he wants to leave, it’s glaringly obvious in all honesty…. IMO
    It’s also a little similar to the Craig Dawson sale, re “ an agreement “ then the club were in general praised on here for allowing him to get his wishes even if some thought it was detrimental to the team…
    I would love Rice to say, but refusing R200k a week is pretty blatant to me that it’s his wish and in his own thoughts the only choice he wants/ has….
    I will and I’m sure no other fans will feel differently towards Rice today, to me it’s just life and reality
  • I thought the BT interviewer was bang out of order when she asked Dec if it was his last game.
    The boy had just had the greatest night of his football life, let him enjoy the moment with his mates.
    He was very diplomatic in his reply, if that was me I don’t think I would’ve been.
  • Yeah, given our league form this season and the fact that he's probably as good as he's ever been, I can see why he'd want to move on. And the fact he hasn't signed a new contract suggests he's wanted out for a while.

But I just wonder whether yesterday's win, the reaction of the fans and their love for him (and his for them) and another EL campaign may have put doubt in his mind.

But less than 24 hours later his boss is basically pimping him out on national radio. Just think that everyone would have benefitted from enjoying the moment and not speaking about it for a few days.
  • Very sadly I think he’ll be an ex West Ham player in a few days, we just have to accept it and move on.
    West Ham is bigger than any player and while we’re all gonna be gutted when it happens, the top teams will always and have always been able to attract the best players…
  • I think I'll be more gutted about where he'll end up rather than him actually leaving us.
  • Yep it looks like Arsenal & if we’re honest he could do far better.
  • Would prefer Bayern Munich out of the few mentioned to be interested, but that’s being more that I’m gonna hate seeing him play against us…
  • Wherever he goes the club have still got to offer what we want for him? IMHO what will be the most gutting is if we don't get a really good price for him.
  • Saw this on SSN transfer talk , wasn’t there someone on here with this name?!?

“Bradders87
    If you ask me, it seems like Rice isnt pushing for a move and would happily stay another season, but Sullivan wants to cash in. Offer Rice the same as what the others are willing to offer and I'm sure he would be willing to see if we can win the Europa League to get Champions League.”
  • Braderz 🤔
  • edited June 2023

Saw this on SSN transfer talk , wasn’t there someone on here with this name?!?

“Bradders87
    If you ask me, it seems like Rice isnt pushing for a move and would happily stay another season, but Sullivan wants to cash in. Offer Rice the same as what the others are willing to offer and I'm sure he would be willing to see if we can win the Europa League to get Champions League.”

Bradez was a pretend ITK from twitter about 10 years ago. I think we invited him to come onto the forum to answer some questions and prove his credentials. But basically he had none, and some of us added "erz" to our user names to mock twitter ITK culture (Jorderz, Lukerz, alderz, etc).
  • I think we all know he's likely to go and everyone knew that this parade could be his last moment. But there was also the opportunity to just enjoy the moment and even imagine him continuing with us - something he even kind of encouraged with his comments.

I don't want to talk about whether Declan leaves or even whether Moyes leaves right now. Just enjoy it.
  • alderz said:

Saw this on SSN transfer talk , wasn’t there someone on here with this name?!?

“Bradders87

Bradez was a pretend ITK from twitter about 10 years ago. I think we invited him to come onto the forum to answer some questions and prove his credentials. But basically he had none, and some of us added "erz" to our user names to mock twitter ITK culture (Jorderz, Lukerz, alderz, etc).
    Was he actually Braderz, or was he Bradley and we turned it into Braderz?
  • Wasn’t his handle on twitter braderz 🤔
  • What a time to be alive that was.