LIVERPOOL (A) WED OCT 19TH

12345679»

Comments

• Lukerz said:

Nothing wrong with Bowen taking pens. He’s taken a few for us & scored all of them. All players miss.

I think he misses because of how long he had to wait.
  • It’s examples like last night why Nobes was so good. He would have just waited patiently, ran up, watched the keeper commit to a movement & then slide it the other way. All Bowen needed to do was watch Allison as he ran & he could have rolled it the other way.
  • At school we were told never to change your mind in the run up ,no matter what the keeper is doing .I scored one from the spot ,and our usely spot taker i think never missed .,our manger was a guy called mark cox .Really liked him .Think he`s dead now one of the few teachers i listened to .So not having Nobes has cost us 2 games already
  • Give him a job as penalty coach.
  • Nobes.

Not the dead teacher, obvs.
  • edited October 2022
    When I was keeping, I simply fixated on the ball so that at the moment of the ball being struck, you knew which side of you it was going, or if straight down the middle.

Now admittedly, I would be nowhere near a well taken penalty struck into the corner but by waiting, you stood a half decent chance against a not so well taken strike, I do recall how good it felt on one occasion when the player dinked the ball in and I was able to just stand there and catch it.

I get that pros are able to cover greater ground than I but I always wonder why professional keepers simply throw themselves at random one way or another.
  • edited October 2022
    MrsGrey said:

Nobes.

Not the dead teacher, obvs.

Ouija board
    Ouija board
    Can't you help me?

Is anybody going to start the Bournemouth thread? I'm off to West Virginia next week to stay with the future Mrs shrugged so I will be out of the loop until Palace on Sunday 6th
  • It seems pretty normal for hold ups before a pen is taken these days. So I dont think it was the wait, I think it was purely composure and Allison reading it the right way.

We should study and emulate how Toney scores his pens...
  • Toney watches the keeper
  • There's always a delay of some sort these days as all penalties have to be checked by VAR, so that shouldn't really be a reason to miss.

Is it 2 out of 3 pens we've missed in the PL so far this season? Given we've not exactly been free-scoring, it's definitely something we should spend some time working on. Corners too, as our delivery on the whole this season has been pretty poor imo.
  • Our free kicks and corners have been as poor as I can remember and opposition managers are still saying we are dangerous from set pieces and long balls. Klopp said it last night.
    Apart from Nobes nearly all our previous spot kickers, Bond, Hurst, Stewart, Dicks have put their foot through it. The average speed of a penalty is 70mph so it takes less than 0.4 of a second to cross the line so no keeper can move that fast and unless they stand still and it goes straight at them they won’t get near it.
    If you’re going to place it top or bottom corner is better than halfway up as the keeper has further to go and it could be out of reach.
  • Was that the first penalty we've ever had at Anfield? Credit to Stuart Attwell, thought he was calm and in control, ignored the Liverpool players and crowd.
  • VVD scuffing the penalty spot

• MIAHammer said:

VVD scuffing the penalty spot

Jolly japes, according to the pundits.

Reckon it would've been laughed off if it was Zouma doing it before Salah stepped up and missed a Liverpool penalty?

I have such a low opinion of Liverpool already, so congratulations to Van Dijk for managing to make it lower still 👏
  • To be fair, I wouldn’t say he scuffed it. He basically stood on it like you would any blade of grass as you walk around the pitch.
  • Didn’t affect the penalty, it was poor.
  • Lukerz said:

To be fair, I wouldn’t say he scuffed it. He basically stood on it like you would any blade of grass as you walk around the pitch.

He wasn't absent-mindedly wandering around the penalty area. It was a deliberate act. Ok, in all liklihood it didn't make any difference to the kick, but the act itself is poor sportsmanship, IMO.
  • Liverpool, sportsmanship? Wash your mouth out..