Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

Comments

• looks like Andersons loan is going ahead, one less on the bench with first team experience and ability if he could be bothered
  • Here's something fun*. As far as I can make out, we've only ever sold 10 players for £10m or more. Our record sales are:

1. Payet - £25m (who should have been worth double that)
    2. Arnautovic - £22.4m (£2.4m profit)
    3. Rio Ferdinand - £18m (who was sold for £30m about 18mths later)
    = Diangana - £18m
    = Ayew - £18m (which looks like a good amount, but we did take a £2.5m loss on him)
    6. Bellamy - £15.5m
    7. Lampard £11m
    8. Kouyate - £10.7m
    9. Tomkins - £10m
    10. Anton Ferdinand - £10m

It's insane to me that the British transfer record since 2000 has grown by 367%, and our record sale has grown by 39%. When you consider how the market has absolutely exploded in the 21st century, our outgoing transfers have been utterly abysmal.

*Not fun at all. Quite depressing, actually.
  • edited October 2020
    Interesting state elderz.... slow day? =)
  • If Anderson goes, I am going to try and defer my concerns until the end of the mini-window. I can only assume that we're letting him, Wilshere, Cullen, Grady go because we have some very promising irons in the fire.
  • So what you are saying is even Brentford have managed better (Ollie Watkins)
  • yoyo said:

Interesting state elderz.... slow day? =)

ELDERZ?!

(It's actually a really busy day, but I don't want to do the things I'm meant to be doing)
  • edited October 2020
    Sorry about that, I'll never did like predictive text! =)
  • Apparently Bournemouth are desperate to shift josh king off their books and would even consider a deal involving instalments- surely worth us considering? Assuming he would be happy coming to us?
  • BBC rating our transfer window as poor.
    " Lacking ambition and support for the manager"
  • edited October 2020
    Wouldn't get your hopes up too much re the domestic window. From Sullivan's mouthpiece, C&H:

"West Ham raised £26m in outbound sales over the transfer window but only spent £5m of that signing the Slavia Prague right back."

So £21m left to get 3-5 quality players.
  • edited October 2020
    And another depressing stat from Twitter. Remember, Villa finished 17th, one place below us:

• Welbeck being released from Watford on a free...
  • Welbeck being released from Watford on a free...

Shhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell the dwarf dictator
  • Ryan Manning
    Josh King
    Lewis Cook
    Benrahma (the dream)
    Rico Henry
    Todd Cantwell
    Bright Samuel

Those are the players we can be looking at now

Don't know many CB from the Championship
  • Should have gone for the Swansea lad like the look of him, he will probably sit on the spuds bench and ruin him, Rio rates him and that’s good enough for me
  • I hate Cantwell
  • Big fan of Lewis Cook, personally.

I saw a rumour that Josh King was available for £10m a week or so ago. To me, he is the midpoint between Haller and Antonio. If Haller is a skillful link up striker who is capable of dropping deep, and Antonio is a willing runner with explosive pace, King is capable of both things, but probably not quite as well as our existing two.
  • Cuz1 said:

Should have gone for the Swansea lad like the look of him, he will probably sit on the spuds bench and ruin him, Rio rates him and that’s good enough for me

Granted I've never seen this lad play, but doing a quick Google hes seems to be a bit injury prone

Given there are 46 games in the championship, the most hes played in a season is 24
  • alderz said:

Big fan of Lewis Cook, personally.

I saw a rumour that Josh King was available for £10m a week or so ago. To me, he is the midpoint between Haller and Antonio. If Haller is a skillful link up striker who is capable of dropping deep, and Antonio is a willing runner with explosive pace, King is capable of both things, but probably not quite as well as our existing two.

Yeah, we should be all over this. But would he come, knowing that Antonio is a nailed on starter? Even if we went two up front, you'd expect it to be Antonio and Haller.
  • Cuz1 said:

Should have gone for the Swansea lad like the look of him, he will probably sit on the spuds bench and ruin him, Rio rates him and that’s good enough for me

Granted I've never seen this lad play, but doing a quick Google hes seems to be a bit injury prone

Given there are 46 games in the championship, the most hes played in a season is 24
    Even more of a shoe in then
  • edited October 2020
    Absolutely rate Josh King, think he was underused by Bournemouth. I also think he would fit our style well. Good back up replacement for Fornals on the left and can play up top and do the hard man work.
  • edited October 2020
    Cantwell would also be a handy addition for the middle of the park with Wilshire going too but not sure how much Norwich would consider.
  • Cantwell would also be a handy addition for the middle of the park with Wilshire going too but not sure how much Norwich would consider.

Considering Godfrey went for £20m+, I would imagine Norwich would want a minimum of £15m for Cantwell.
  • I think Samuel would be a really good value for money deal if Anderson leaves

Natural wideman on either flank, was almost as important as Eze, only 22, full of confidence and hes into the last year of his contract so is available for around £5mil
  • There must be players doing fairly well at Bristol city and reading?
  • we are of course asking the wrong questions, we need to know who has the agents that double D work for/with rather than who makes sense to sign
  • Well they obviously screwed up when they bought Bowen, Soucek and Coufal didn't they.
  • C&H now stating a £30m budget.

Also saying that Moyes claims he's an expert in finding talent in the Championship. Yes, he signed Bowen, but also signed Hugill and turned down Maddison, so expert may be pushing it.

Either way, £30m isn't getting us all that we need.
  • C&H now stating a £30m budget.

Also saying that Moyes claims he's an expert in finding talent in the Championship. Yes, he signed Bowen, but also signed Hugill and turned down Maddison, so expert may be pushing it.

Either way, £30m isn't getting us all that we need.

If reports are to be beleived

Manning £5mil
    King £10mil

Thats half the reported budget and already we look massively stronger
  • The strategy appears to centre around staying in the Prem. Where it is at risk, it seems the net might be cast further afield. Like in jan just gone. In the grant season a whole battery of players arrived (to no avail) on that occasion.

To be fair they did try a bit different once during Pelle’s 7 or 8 purchases in one summer. But that as a whole was a disaster we are still suffering from (is that fair to say?). But they put a good amount of trust in D of F (who they hired) who was rubbish and had failed in his previous role - so one has to look at what diligence they do on people who source our players.
This discussion has been closed.