Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

Comments

• Dodger58 said:

at least the youth will get a chance as they will have to

Isn’t this what most of us actually want?

Still too much wasted expenditure we haven’t managed to shift, the wages Bill is still far too high (largely to the wrong people). Paying off Wilshire hasn’t saved money, just removed him from the rosta.

Let’s see if anything materialises over the additional window ...

I meant that as a positive not a moan
  • Why did I bother to stay awake??

Now the anger is making it hard to drop off!
  • 22 at the moment, including Anderson.
  • Have we even got a full 25 man squad anymore ?

Don't think so. We've lost 5 from the February 25-man squad. 6 if you include Anderson.

Though Wilshere was the only recent outgoing who was in that squad.
  • just looking for my boots and my inhaler then good to go
  • Dodger58 said:

I meant that as a positive not a moan
    My apologies, but my comment was meant to be more general, not aimed at you.

• at least the youth will get a chance as they will have to

If we get any injuries we may have to draft in some of the ladies team =)
  • Bringing in one at a time from the Academy will do no harm. As long as we don't sell them straight after. Ps I'm sticking with 4 ... 3 from the Championship arriving soon!

• We need to get some bodies in from the championship (or league 1 who im sure have some gems) before I make a decision

As except for Diangana, I'm happy all the rest have left, even if we are a bit light

If you look at our squad, in terms of how they fitted into the pecking order you get the following:

GK: Fab, Randolph, Martin Roberto

CB: Ogbonna, Diop, Balbuena, Cresswell, Alese, Cardoso

RWB: Coufal, Fredericks, Johnson Ngakia

LWB: Masuaku

CM: Rice, Soucek, Noble, Snodgrass, Cullen, wilshere, Coventry

RW: Bowen, Yarmolenko

LW: Fornals, Diangana, Anderson, Lanzini

St: Antonio, Haller, Ajeti, Hugill

Most of the players that left were bottom of the pecking order and contributing very little

Now if Wilsheres or Hugills 200 minutes of game time they would've got this year goes to Coventry (who by what I've read is rated above Cullen) or Odubeko then I'm all for it
  • Didn't stay up as I wasn't advised to by the owners & as baracks said I would have had difficulty sleeping as I would have been really frustrated. I am struggling to find the words to sum this all up. Of course GSB don't have to issue a statement to explain what's going on as we can still get a couple from the Championship & all will be well then, won't it?
  • Thing is, this is still salvageable, because there's enough talent in the Championship. Problem is, I don't trust the board to get it right.

I would say we need five players; LWB, CB, CM, LW (if Anderson is confirmed as going) and ST. To het the quality we need we'd have to spend upward of £50m, so we're clearly not getting five.

Manning or Henry at LWB, Rodon at CB and Benrahma at LW would repair some of the damage. Still short in the middle and up front, but I would imagine Coventry and Odubeko would be the cover.

So a squad of:

GK: Fabianksi/Randolph/Trott
    RWB: Coufal/Fredericks/Johnson
    LWB: Masuaku/Manning/Longelo
    RCB: Diop/Balbuena
    CB: Ogbonna/Rodon
    LCB: Cresswell/Alese
    CM: Rice/Noble
    CM: Soucek/Coventry
    RW: Bowen/Yarmolenko
    LW: Fornals/Benrahma
    ST: Anderson/Haller/Odubeko

That should be enough to keep us up, if we can limit the number of injuries we get.
  • Still furious over Diangana.
  • We stay up with the squad we have now imo

Many have said if we lose one of Antonio, Masuaku, Rice, Soucek we are in trouble, but the same goes for every team in the bottom half of the league

You lose key players you will struggle, but you can't just panic and waste money on depth or we are back to square one
  • We stay up with the squad we have now imo

Many have said if we lose one of Antonio, Masuaku, Rice, Soucek we are in trouble, but the same goes for every team in the bottom half of the league

You lose key players you will struggle, but you can't just panic and waste money on depth or we are back to square one

I’ll say it again, though, it’s not about being weakened by injury. That’s an inevitability. It’s about not being able to play our system. That’s not good enough.
  • I’m jealous that Fulham signed Loftus Cheek
  • We didn’t need to waste money on depth but maybe offer the going rate for the managers choice, it was obvious none of our targets would be joining us, because the board had no intention of making them happy, now we have to look in the championship for the best players to come and join the shambles of a club that they have turned us into, it’s ok saying we have enough to avoid relegation but is that the level we adhere to? Backing the manager surely is a must and imo they haven’t even tried, god help our key players don’t get an injury
  • For those trying to have a glimmer of hope via the championship, I fear the same story. In terms of cash, it isn’t £30-£40m available. It is more like £3m (up front) I would say. This £3m would have been touted around to all and sundry in Europe with the inevitable conclusion. Even if the price for manning were £5m, I suspect we would only offer about £500k in front.

The Grady sale was only done to avoid defaults on previous player purchases, and also to make sure interest payments were honoured - definitely not a penny would have been for the benefit of team/squad improvement.
  • Loftus Cheek is on £150K a week must be costing Fulham a fortune to loan him if there a loan fee involved aswell
  • I’m ok with the clear out apart from GD. Looking thin but with all those wages off the books gives DM a chance to rebuild in future windows and play some youth.
    Happy that Snodgrass is staying too.
  • I would rather the likes of Alese come in, have a run on games (if called upon), and make mistakes to learn from over signing someone like Dawson who will only embarrass our entire defence.

• The Grady sale was only done to avoid defaults on previous player purchases, and also to make sure interest payments were honoured - definitely not a penny would have been for the benefit of team/squad improvement.

And you know that how?
  • Because we are at minus 9 in terms of players
  • So far Moyes hasn't made a bad signing in his second stint, Bowen and Soucek have been excellent, Coufal's performance on Sunday suggests he'll be just as good and Randolph is a good backup keeper.

Rice is still here

A month ago we were worried we might get to November without any points, instead we're 10th. We beat Wolves and Leicester, last season we lost home and away to both of them.

I'm feeling pretty positive right now.
  • edited October 2020
    IronHerb said:

The Grady sale was only done to avoid defaults on previous player purchases, and also to make sure interest payments were honoured - definitely not a penny would have been for the benefit of team/squad improvement.

And you know that how?
    No-one knows for sure, but the evidence certainly supports the argument. We missed two installment payments for Haller. We were reported to FIFA. We sold Diangana and the full £18m was promised to be re-invested into the team, which hasn't happened, but we have (coincidentally?) now settled our debt with Frankfurt.

Granted, if we spend £13m in the next 10 days, then the board have been true to their words; if not, then I think Baracks could have a valid point.
  • Disappointed? YES ........ Surprised? NO. Sums it up for Me
  • We basically have a first team with little wriggle room. That first team is top 8 quality IMO if it plays well.

However if you take out 2 out of

Rice
    Soucek
    Antonio
    Masuaku
    Ogbonna
    Coufal
    Bowen

then the side would not be able to lay a glove on most sides in the league IMO.

Even if you removed one of them it is a problem, especially I would say Antonio.

So it is basically boom or bust as things stand.
  • And unfortunately for us it's usually bust, particularly where Antonio's hamstrings are concerned.
  • Sooooo...

Top 3 Office characters:

Dwight
    Kevin
    Michael
  • From BBC Transfer News last night

20:37 5 Oct
    Enjoying Neil Warnock's Colin's take on current defenders on 5 Live.

What do you think of defending in the Premier League Neil?

"I haven't seen any.

"I'd like to see Harry Maguire just whack it away. He thinks he's a good player.

That last sentence. =) =)
  • Sooooo...

Top 3 Office characters:

Dwight
    Kevin
    Michael

Dwight
    Michael
    Prison Mike
This discussion has been closed.