Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

Comments

• If GSB are going in 2023 they will only be looking for safety and not experimenting as they did with Pelle. If they say that they get slaughtered, if they don't say that they still get slaughtered. The fans can moan about them for as long as they like but nothing will change them now.
  • Did anyone say anything when they stayed silent? People had a problem when he poured his heart out to talksport and basically laid the blame elsewhere? Sometimes, especially in their case, it is better to say nothing as opening their mouths often makes it worse.
  • So short of players now ,We have hardly anyone to push our starting 11
  • steve said:

So short of players now ,We have hardly anyone to push our starting 11

Were any of the players who left pushing our starting XI other than Diangana?
  • Diangana is the only one that concerned me, really. I'm kind of unsure of the point of the Wilshere thing when we still had to pay so much.

The rest were just bodies for an injury crisis.

I think Moyes wants to rely on a small squad. Like Liverpool, like Leicester when they won it. Wolves are similar as well. But we're probably too small and it's risky with our injury record.
  • Better to have someone than no one we are a shambles the sooner these clowns 🤡 leave the club the better for two people that love the club the mind boggles, just think where we’d be if they didn’t like us we’d be a laughing stock. Wait one we already are
  • You sure Cuz? Roberto, Sanchez?
  • edited October 2020

steve said:

NO, but neither are their replacements. Oh, hang on
  • Individually, I think every transfer (except one, I wonder which...) makes sense, and I support them.

However, as a whole, it doesn't make sense. There is no sense in selling Diangana and saying you have too many wingers, then getting rid of Anderson. There is no sense in selling Cullen if you're planning on releasing Wilshere later in the day. No sense in selling Hugill and Ajeti if you're planning to loan out Silva.

It's sensible to keep some cover at least.
  • Looking back just a few months ago.....I mean, Sanchez....Come on! You have to laugh, what did the scout see in him?
  • The classic Carlos Kickaball - maybe they thought he was a different Sanchez ...
  • I think every position has strong competition already. Squad has good balance right now. Injuries means get to see youth players.
  • steve said:

Were any of the players who left pushed our starting XI other than Diangana?

steve said:

Yea but why are we short 'now?

The players we lost barely managed 1000 minutes last season cumulatively, and half of those were zab who was well past it last year and who has been internally replaced by johnson

Don't agree with just getting in anyone, that's exactly why we are here
  • The thing is Cullen and Wilshere were cover for Noble who won't get in the starting line up as things stand. So it makes good sense to me to let them go.
  • the reality is that we cannot judge until the end of the EPL window, I just hope we do not get many injuries until then. It maybe smart to wait for the other teams to run out of steam it may not be
  • The thing is they were contemplating letting go of snodgrass too. And IMO they did so without any specific intention of replacing him directly.
  • I think every position has strong competition already. Squad has good balance right now. Injuries means get to see youth players.

Each to their own opinion
  • Id rather Alese get minutes than Dawson as 5th choice CB

I'd rather Coventry get minutes then Wilshere as 5th choice CM

Id rather Odubeko get minutes than Ajeti or Welbeck as 3rd choice striker

Thats how I'm viewing it

Similar to how Moyes brought in Ngakia/Johnson when Fredericks got injured and Zab wasn't up to it anymore

Still think we need a couple signings, but I'm glad we aren't rehashing the same mistakes we've made in the past of signing anybody
  • Moyes has been diligent and patient in the transfer market. The Sullivan special has been stamped right out. Long may it continue
  • edited October 2020

steve said:

steve said:

The players we lost barely managed 1000 minutes last season cumulatively, and half of those were zab who was well past it last year and who has been internally replaced by johnson

Nor do I, but at least we had some sort of stand in should injuries occur, albeit not brilliant replacements.

So who have we actually replaced / added, obviously Coufal, but who else.
  • Regarding centre back. Anyone that can head the ball well would be an upgrade on Diop (as seen with Balbuena). Not really fussed on that one, although if Collins wanted a proper send off...
  • edited October 2020
    Champo

All well and good and not a huge problem if that is the actual plan - and more so that it is Moyes’ wish. And if it was, why then go around seeking out a huge splattering of random defensive names in Europe in desperation? It isn’t consistent at all with what actually happened in the first section of the transfer window.

And surely by your logic you could add Grady as a back up winger rather than anderson - only that argument can’t now be made can it?
  • steve said:

steve said:

Nor do I, but at least we had some sort of stand in should injuries occur, albeit not brilliant replacements.

So who have we actually replaced / added, obviously Coufal, but who else.
    But thats not the point, yes we do need some additions, who doesn't?

But I don't get the logic that all of a sudden we are in a desperate situation and have no depth because we can no longer rely on Wilshere or Cullen, two players who im not even sure have been included on the bench

If at any point this season i say "wish we had kept Wilshere/Hugill/Ajeti/Zabaleta/Sanchez/Roberto/Cullen/Silva" then fair enough but I don't think I will

And for me, Odubeko/Akinola/Diallo can cover the 140 minutes Hugill/Ajeti/Silva got last year

Coventry covers the 250 minutes wilshere/cullen/sanchez got last year

Coufal is a hugeee upgrade over Zabaleta

Randolph already replaced Roberto in Jan, again, huge upgrade
  • The only one of those who had a reasonable amount of game time was Roberto and look what that did to us.
    We now have room to bring in players without having to get rid first.
  • I am happy for Alese and Coventry to be the backups for their positions. We’ve got at least one alternative for their positions so we wouldn’t be reliant. But LWB we are an injury away from Johnson out of position or Longelo, who looked very, very shaky in his cameo the other week.

I still feel that is extremely poor planning to leave us with so little depth, but yeah if we play some youth players and sign a LWB I’ll be fairly easily placated.
  • alderz said:

I am happy for Alese and Coventry to be the backups for their positions. We’ve got at least one alternative for their positions so we wouldn’t be reliant. But LWB we are an injury away from Johnson out of position or Longelo, who looked very, very shaky in his cameo the other week.

I still feel that is extremely poor planning to leave us with so little depth, but yeah if we play some youth players and sign a LWB I’ll be fairly easily placated.

Yes I agree

My point is more in reference to players that have left

But yes I hope we get a new LWB, as O just cannot see Cresswell be an effective LWB and Longelo is too Green

I will say (gets behind sofa), that the team that saved us last year was with a back 4 with Cresswell at LB.....IF masuaku get san injury and we don't bring a LWB (which i would be very upset with) we can revert back to a back 4 that worked so well last year
  • Johnson has looked better at left back than right back! Fredericks could also fill in at left wing back (he has played left back and left midfield before). I think we are building good enough system now that players can come in and do a good job as roles are more defined. Only Antonio is never gonna be replaced by anyone ever never ever
  • Let's hope Antonio is not lured away by the offer of more money. He's apparently on £70,000 pw, Haller btw is reportedly on £100,000 pw.
    I would think it must irritate players who are doing it on the pitch to be paid less than some of the benchwarmers, and some who don't even make the bench - injuries aside of course.
  • Let's hope Antonio is not lured away by the offer of more money. He's apparently on £70,000 pw, Haller btw is reportedly on £100,000 pw.
    I would think it must irritate players who are doing it on the pitch to be paid less than some of the benchwarmers, and some who don't even make the bench - injuries aside of course.

Strange times. Hopefully he becomes a top earner soon
  • Rice is still on £30k........
This discussion has been closed.