Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

So here we are again. The Day of Days is upon us and maybe we'll finally sign the centre back that Moyes wanted back in July.

Elsewhere, will Liverpool sign a new 'keeper now that the reality has dawned that Adrian isn't 'the best reserve 'keeper in the world'?

Will Man Utd sign a defence?

Has Patrice Evra calmed down yet?

A lot of questions will be answered over the course of the next 14 hours or so, so buckle in and get ready for the ride.

Comments

• Posted this on the other thread:

So best case looking like we will do some loan deals today

Tah and Grujic on loan (hopefully with options to buy) would imo be two great pieces of business and address two of the biggest weaknesses in our squad

Then hopefully we can bring in another striker and LWB but I think that will be unlikely as I can't see us getting in more than 2 (if that)

Atm I feel like we have a squad of 15, the 11 thats played yesterday then Diop, Fredericks, Noble and Haller

All of the others I don't think Moyes fancies or trusts, they are just there because we can't shift them
  • edited October 2020
    Champo 👍

Four players would be ideal; LWB to cover Masuaku, CB to give us another option as we're playing three, CM to cover Rice and Soucek, and an Antonio clone as he is so key to how we play.

Agree re Tah and Grujic, and I'd take Ryan Manning at LWB (can't imagine QPR would want too much for him). Finding another Antonio may not be so easy, so I think this is the least likely signing to happen, although Ex has said that Xande Silva is likely to leave today, so our depth in that position would be even shallower.
  • I would take Rico Henry and Manning, both attacking minded left backs who can shift into a back 4 if we need to

Am I right in that we can purchase players from the championship up to the 16th October as the domestic window is extended? Or have I misinterpreted it?
  • last day to justify the Diangana sale =)
  • edited October 2020

I would take Rico Henry and Manning, both attacking minded left backs who can shift into a back 4 if we need to

Am I right in that we can purchase players from the championship up to the 16th October as the domestic window is extended? Or have I misinterpreted it?

No, that is right. So Manning or Henry could join up until the 16th. Today is for players from foreign leagues and PL to PL transfers.

And I've just realised that means another Transfer Deadline Day in 11 days time...

• I don’t think it is now feasible now for us to do any perm signings at all which involve a fee.

So if anything it’ll be loans only
  • I don’t think it is now feasible now for us to do any perm signings at all which involve a fee.

So if anything it’ll be loans only

Quite possibly. But then Sullivan will have some explaining to do as to what happened to the £30m we supposedly had for Tarkowski, particularly, as Yeold says, we were told Diangana was sold to strengthen the defence.
  • We may never end up knowing where the Grady money went

A bit like when we never got to find out where the £18m Rio money went
  • I think the money went on two Haller instalments and Coufal at best we might get a couple of loans in now we have too many players on massive money not making the first eleven Anderson/Haller/Yarmo/Wilshere/Lanzini that half a million a week there :-(
  • edited October 2020
    Ex's update so far:

Tah the No1 target but a deal is not close

Cullen to Anderlecht is on

Portuguese departures (Silva and Cardoso I assume)

Potential midfield and forward deals but again, nothing close.

Bit concerning that the window has been open for over two months and with 12 hours left we're still not close to bringing in a centre back.

Also concerning that in a window that we needed to strengthen the squad from where it was in July we've brought in one player and will have let go seven players if the above happens.
  • Funny isn’t it that our most relied upon current back 6 (not including Diop as he didn’t play v Leicester and wolves), including the keeper cost under £40m in total.
  • That's good business.
  • Does our bench cost more than our starting 11?
  • Jacob Steinberg reporting that a loan deal for Tah is unlikely and that we'll need to pay £30m to get him.

#welcomedawson
  • Everton are going some aren’t they? They have now also signed ben Godfrey

That is in spite of still carrying the significant cost of the likes of schnerderlain, bolasi, tosun and Walcott on their books
  • They still need a keeper though.....
  • Jacob Steinberg reporting that a loan deal for Tah is unlikely and that we'll need to pay £30m to get him.

#welcomedawson

We bid that for Tarkowski, so Sully can afford that no problemo 🙃
  • We probably offered them £3m up front with a promise to pay the rest later
  • Standard reporting that there'll be no business today and we'll use the EFL window to get a couple from the Championship.
  • We were never going to do anything today (in terms of incomings). Today is for grown ups.
  • edited October 2020
    alderz said:

Jacob Steinberg reporting that a loan deal for Tah is unlikely and that we'll need to pay £30m to get him.

#welcomedawson

We bid that for Tarkowski, so Sully can afford that no problemo 🙃
    And this is the dilemma that Sullivan now faces. He was giving it the big 'un to Jim White on Talksport saying that there was money available when he was getting slated for not having any money, and will now get slated if he doesn't spend that money.

Ah well, it's his bed.
  • To say news is quiet is a bit of an understatement......
  • I mean, I'd rather we didn't sign anyone than sign someone that isn't good enough just for the sake of spending.

And I like the model of picking up players from the Championship. When you take one or two and put them among Premier League players they tend to do an awful lot better than if a team get promoted.

My worry though, is that relying on the Championship window means that we would be relying on Championship clubs having pre-emptively done their business if they were buying replacements from abroad, or for them to be picking up Premier League replacements.
  • In a weird way I'm looking forward to the day we sign Dawson. Sullivan will know the fan-base will be fuming and will be ready to pin it on Moyes by releasing a statement that 'the manager wanted an experienced, British defender.' He's already publicly stated that he has offered random (i.e. cheap) players to Moyes who have been turned down, so he's already laying the foundations of his defence.
  • Our board are a disgrace imo. Fair enough don't buy for the sake of it but do not sell for the sake of it either. To me it just looks like they are lying again. No intention of using the Grady money. Just used it to pay off the Haller payments. That may or may not be the case but they can't be surprised that people would assume that after the rubbish they've come out with.
  • When we go fishing for championship players after today it won’t be the star turns of the likes of Matty cash who we’ll be after. That’s the problem

• Queen of the South make a proper Nortey signing.

(Still my favourite name in football)
  • When we go fishing for championship players after today it won’t be the star turns of the likes of Matty cash who we’ll be after. That’s the problem

And they'll cost more because the selling club will know the buying club has no other option.
  • It's funny because everything seems to point to the fact that we need CBs. But for me in this new system we have some cover. Unfortunately I think we are a Bowen, Antonio, Rice and even Fornals or Arthur injury away from being in trouble. Those other players we have on the bench are just not up to it.
This discussion has been closed.