Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Hamstew said:

Our board are a disgrace imo. Fair enough don't buy for the sake of it but do not sell for the sake of it either. To me it just looks like they are lying again. No intention of using the Grady money. Just used it to pay off the Haller payments. That may or may not be the case but they can't be surprised that people would assume that after the rubbish they've come out with.

They're lying. I have no doubt about that. Look at Ben Godfrey; £20m (which we apparently have), fits Moyes's vision (young, hungry to succeed), fits Sullivan's vision (hefty sell-on value) and plays in a position that was our priority in July. So why weren't we in for him? Because that £30m was a lie; the Tarkowski, Milenkovic and Car bids were never done with any intention of seeing them through.

At the start of the window a number of fans identified Dawson and Steve Cook as cheap Salthouse clients and predicted we'd end up with one of them. In 11 days time we'll find out if they were right.

• But Matty Cash got run ragged last night in a 7-2 win. 😳
  • edited October 2020
    I don't care whatever way they spin it. Diangana was sacrificed for nothing and the justification for his sale is a disgrace.

#GSBOUT
  • OK, so if we look at the squad from a 3-4-3 perspective:

GK: Fabianski / Randolph / Martin :+1:

DC: Ogbonna / Balbuena / Diop / Cresswell - :-1: IMO we need one more, unless the club want to use Alese / Akinola / Baptiste as the 5th choice, but I'm not sure they will

RWB: Coufal / Fredericks / Johnson :+1:

LWB: Masuaku - :-1: Crucial. The only cover we have is an out of position Ben Johnson, or a woefully exposed Aaron Cresswell. We absolutely need an alternative here.

MC: Rice / Soucek / Noble / Wilshere - :-1: I've not included Snodgrass or Cullen because the rumours are they are both leaving, but even with them we are light. Realistically, Rice and Soucek are the only CMs we have that can play the way we need them to - box to box. Fornals is probably the best cover we have, but he seems to be first choice LW at the moment. We absolutely must sign another dynamic midfielder, IMO. Possibly even two of them.

RW: Bowen / Yarmolenko - :+1: We're fine here, particularly as other wingers can cover here.

LW: Fornals / Lanzini / Anderson - :+1: We're probably fine here, except from the manager doesn't want to play two of the three! If we don't strengthen in CM then I will be extra annoyed about the Grady sale, as I think he would have allowed Fornals to play more centrally, but whatever.

ST: Antonio / Haller - :-1: We are very light up front. I know that Moyes doesn't like rotating, and that Antonio will play a lot of games, but we have two strikers, and both of them had a chunk of last season out injured. Really we could do with someone to back them up.

So, for me CB / LWB / MC / ST are all important. LWB and MC are most important, IMO.

• They're lying. I have no doubt about that. Look at Ben Godfrey; £20m (which we apparently have), fits Moyes's vision (young, hungry to succeed), fits Sullivan's vision (hefty sell-on value) and plays in a position that was our priority in July. So why weren't we in for him? Because that £30m was a lie; the Tarkowski, Milenkovic and Car bids were never done with any intention of seeing them through.

The bigger question is why would he want to come to us? What is the draw to come to us when other clubs are sniffing around. They can see we have no ambition.
  • I'd have LW as a 👎. Lanzini isn't great anymore and Anderson is one of the worst players we've had at West Ham imo. Fornals is doing well but isn't an actual LW.
  • edited October 2020
    alderz said:

So, for me CB / LWB / MC / ST are all important. LWB and MC are most important, IMO.

The problem is, we were saying this in July (well, maybe LB rather than LWB), and we're already 10% of the way through the season and none of these problem areas have been addressed.
  • MIAHammer said:

They're lying. I have no doubt about that. Look at Ben Godfrey; £20m (which we apparently have), fits Moyes's vision (young, hungry to succeed), fits Sullivan's vision (hefty sell-on value) and plays in a position that was our priority in July. So why weren't we in for him? Because that £30m was a lie; the Tarkowski, Milenkovic and Car bids were never done with any intention of seeing them through.

The bigger question is why would he want to come to us? What is the draw to come to us when other clubs are sniffing around. They can see we have no ambition.

I don't disagree. Choosing Everton over us is a no-brainer for the lad, but I suspect we didn't even try. If we had bid £20m for the England U21 captain there's no way we wouldn't have heard about it.
  • Snodgrass to Celtic was the rumour but apparently that has cooled now and Snodgrass is probably staying. I don't see why we would loan him personally, last year of his contract and if we end up in a battle at the bottom of the table characters with good work ethic like Snodgrass will be important.
  • Dawson would be a shocker of a signing. Even Watford fans would drive up and drop him off.
  • I don't care whatever way they spin it. Diangana was sacrificed for nothing and the justification for his sale is a disgrace.

#GSBOUT

And I think Sullivan is going to get hammered if/when this happens. But again, I think he's painted himself into a corner here. He had to sell Grady to pay off Frankfurt of face some kind of sanction from FIFA, but couldn't admit that the club is so financially mismanaged that we couldn't afford to make the payments without selling a player.

So he lied about reinvesting the money to save face, but is now facing scrutiny for the lie he told to cover the original lie.

All IMO, of course.
  • Tbf to Sullivan, didn't he actually say that the money would be invested in the squad? Not that we would make signings. That could have meant "we can pay our wages now" or "we can pay our existing transfer bills off" or "we can pay someone to take Jack Wilshere off us".
  • Hamstew said:

I'd have LW as a 👎. Lanzini isn't great anymore and Anderson is one of the worst players we've had at West Ham imo. Fornals is doing well but isn't an actual LW.

I don't disagree, but we won't be signing a winger. The club has made a whole song and dance about how we were overstocked and needed other areas as a priority. We sold Grady because we had one thousand wingers and nothing else. If we now sign a winger all that fury about Grady will come back to the surface (unless we someone sign someone objectively better than him).
  • Where was it stated that we couldn't afford to pay the instalment? It went to FIFA as a dispute between the two clubs and FIFA sorted it and told us to pay up.
  • alderz said:

Tbf to Sullivan, didn't he actually say that the money would be invested in the squad? Not that we would make signings. That could have meant "we can pay our wages now" or "we can pay our existing transfer bills off" or "we can pay someone to take Jack Wilshere off us".

"The decision to sell Grady has been made reluctantly but – ultimately – in the best interests of the Club and with the aim to strengthen the squad in different areas at this time. The money received for Grady will be reinvested entirely in the team, in line with the manager’s targets."

Don't think so alderz. This seems pretty clear that they would be investing in the team according to Moyes’s targets.
  • In that case, I completely misremembered! Shows why you should research things
  • He can’t afford Moyes’ targets and Moyes doesn’t want Sully’s targets. So we will end up with whomever is available on Salthouse’s client list.
  • Much as I like Snodgrass, have to be honest and say his worth ethic these days can barely cover his lack of mobility. We just cant go back to that midfield that seemed like bikes with flats trying to get ahead in the race.
  • I want a young up and coming Mendy/Kante type player (for cover and eventually replace Rice)
  • I want a young up and coming Mendy/Kante type player (for cover and eventually replace Rice)

Not happening in the near future. Let’s maybe hold that thought till, say, 2023?
  • Don’t go to 🛌
  • I’m not staying up again!!!!
  • Have we signed anyone yet
  • edited October 2020

Have we signed anyone yet

Yes, Vladimir Coufal for £5m and we should all be eternally grateful for that and the board's amazing work in getting a team together that beat Leicester at home (according to Jim White and Danny Murphy on Talksport earlier)
  • Have we signed anyone yet

Yes, Vladimir Coufal for £5m and we should all be eternally grateful for that and the board's amazing work in getting a team together that beat Leicester at home (according to Jim White and Danny Murphy on Talksport earlier)
    Ah yes....but don't forget Soucek

He was instrumental yesterday
  • If we need cover for Rice and Soucek why are we letting Cullen leave ?

Presumably the club don't think he is good enough to offer cover?

Just to clarify, are you suggesting that Cullen leaving is evidence that we must not need cover?

So Sullivan can pocket another £800k.

Seems crazy, doesn't it. I mean, fine, if Moyes doesn't rate him and we're getting a replacement, I have no real issue with it, but to let him go without bringing someone in - as we did with Obiang - seems absolutely barking.

Cullen was widely considered as a Noble replacement but that doesn't get him near the team in the style we are playing.
  • Not sure why we are being derisive about Coufal and Soucek. The former had a great debut and the latter has been brilliant every game he's played, as has Bowen. Our record in the transfer window this year has been fantastic.

We've had two phenomenal results in our last league games and look a good side. I'm baffled by the hysteria from our fanbase.

Of course our squad isn't perfect. Of course we are a few injuries away from having a much weaker side. Tell me the clubs in the league that isn't also true for.

Man City have Aguero and Jesus out and are struggling. Burnley have a couple of key injuries and they're struggling. Imagine if Liverpool had Salah and Van Dijk injured. Imagine if Everton had Calvert-Lewin and Rodriguez injured. Imagine if Wolves had Neves and Jimenez injured. It's the same for every team.

I'm not a huge fan of the board but at the same time think the squad looks in decent enough shape.

We could do with a couple of players (just like pretty much every other team in the league), but if we haven't got our first choices I'd rather we didn't just waste money on people who probably won't be good enough even when they do come in and play.

Let's save money - something we clearly don't have much of - and get the next Bowen or Soucek in January if need be. Bodies for bodies' sake is a backwards step.
This discussion has been closed.