The Actual Transfer Window

Comments

• Ex on Twitter says that neither Arsenal or Smith Rowe are interested in a loan deal
  • Rather than chasing Kelvin Philips who has hardly played for a long time, WHU ought to keep Flynn Downes. He has had a goo season with Southampton (on loan). Shame we can't recall him now as we have a glut of injuries.
  • I suspect he wants Phillips to improve the overall side rather than cover injuries, if he were the Phillips who Leeds sold to City he would be our best DM and not too far from Rice and probably better than Soucek, JWP and Alverz, if we could field Phillips, Paquetta, Kudus and Bowen that would be a frightening prospect for most opponents.

Whether we would get a prime Phillips after all this time of largely bench warming is another thing. It would certainly show intent by the board and the manager.
  • I don't want Phillips to much money to gamble with
  • steve said:

I don't want Phillips to much money to gamble with

Phillips on loan isn't much money to gamble
  • Aston Villa have rejected an offer from West Ham to sign Jhon Duran on loan with an option to buy.

Duran seems hungry (like the wolf) and has the Reflex of a cat. Hope the deal doesnt Come Undone... ;)
  • The bits I saw of Duran earlier in the season he looks really exciting
  • Duran is useless on his own. He needs another Duran playing beside him. And even then they'd be average 😄
  • Duran is useless on his own. He needs another Duran playing beside him. And even then they'd be average 😄

And then they will be "The Wild Boys"........I'll get my coat!
  • mike said:

Duran is useless on his own. He needs another Duran playing beside him. And even then they'd be average 😄

And then they will be "The Wild Boys"........I'll get my coat!
    I thought about making that joke but it was so bad that I decided not to. Thanks for taking the bullet, Mike
  • On last night's podcast Ex said "talks have progressed" with Kalvin Phillips and that he is "very keen to join West Ham".
  • I like Phillips, but CM seems like one of our lesser priorities right now
  • I like Phillips, but CM seems like one of our lesser priorities right now

The Alvarez calf injury has been pretty underplayed so far, not much has really been said despite him missing two games already. Now, it could be that it's nothing serious at all, but there's also the possibility that it's been kept pretty quiet so that we're not bent over a barrel for Phillips if we're concerned that it's gonna keep him out for longer than a week or two. If Alvarez is out for a bit, then suddenly someone who can play DM is a very big priority right now imo.

Obviously there's definitely room in the squad and our midfield for Phillips, to either play alongside or instead of Alvarez, so the latter's absense may not be significant, but I do find it odd that so little information has been put out about his injury.
  • Do we ever put much information out about injuries, though? Apart from when they’re really long-term.
  • edited January 23
    I would welcome Philip’s with an option to buy, he has not played much so may be rusty but I still believe that he would nonetheless improve the squad.

The loan fee, if true, appears steep, but puts less money at risk if he is not the player he was, he has something to prove and I am not aware of him being reported as being a player with a negative attitude.

That being said, I was quite excited when Ings was signed 😀

• As it stands, when Alvarez doesn't play we look very easy to play through. With the remaining league games and the Europa League, I can see there being plenty of time for both Alvarez and Phillips.
  • Foot Mercato says we are in negotiation for Stade Brest's French U22 LB Bradly Locko, joined from 4th tier Stade Reims in January 2023 and has started every Ligue 1 match this season
  • alderz said:

As it stands, when Alvarez doesn't play we look very easy to play through. With the remaining league games and the Europa League, I can see there being plenty of time for both Alvarez and Phillips.

True. Alvarez loves a yellow card, too, so I'm sure there are more suspensions to come for him
  • According to F Romano, Phillips is happening, with medical booked for tomorrow. He's also included the "he we go".
  • Sky saying a loan has been agreed with option to buy
  • edited January 23
    I am very happy with that. I think Phillips and Alverez would be a superb pairing and were one injured the other could ensure we were still strong.

I suspect if it works out for us and him then the option to buy could end up including Paquetta. I hope he arrives not too far off match fitness as he could make a big impact. He has also been training with the best in the premier league, even dealing with Haaland and co in training can't leave you too off the pace.
  • I thought the same about Paquetta going the other way in the summer
  • I'd be surprised if Paqueta was a part of this deal, but I do think there's a good chance he'll end up there by the end of the summer independently of this. Having a good working relationship isn't a bad thing from City's perspective, though.

For me, this is a great signing. I think he improves us hugely as a squad. My only issue with it is the same as Jorderz's: This doesn't feel like the priority position for me.
  • I am very happy with this news and I hope it makes it over the line. It's an upgrade. Imagine the whole squad if fit and available, who is the weakest link in the starting eleven, it's Soucek, can be good in both boxes but lacks quality in midfield. Phillips become part of the first eleven but Soucek improves the squad depth and plenty of games when they will both get game time.
  • Says we are paying his wages ,How much is he on
  • I read somewhere £135k p/wk.
  • edited January 23
    £7m + £135k wages? Taking the Michael or what!
  • He will be an asset and trust the club have got full control over financial matters.
  • edited January 23

£7m + £135k wages? Taking the Michael or what!

I suspect the £7m (or whatever is agreed) is the total figure; we'll likely be paying his wages plus a loan fee on top, but the total will be the figures that are flying around.
  • edited January 23
    Bayern bid £12m for Trippier lol

#risible