The Actual Transfer Window

Comments

• Alvarez has improved because he doesn't have to travel to and from Mexico.
  • Remember Sonny Perkins, youth player who joined Leeds on a free in July 2022 after rejecting a contract because we wouldn't meet his wage demands?

Now aged 19, he's been recalled from a season long loan at Oxford United (League One) after making just 6 appearances and scoring once

Still developing, I guess
  • Probably a case of his agent/adviser filling his head with the idea that he's better than he actually is.
  • You could say he did the right thing if he got a contract at the highest possible rate as that contract may make a big difference to the rest of his life if he doesn't make the grade, and if he does make the grade then all good anyhow. If he got say 10k per week for a three year contract, then If he never got another contract he would have earned £1.5m in those three years. If he uses it well and maybe buys two houses, one to live in mortgage free and one to let out, then his short career would have set him up pretty well. As with Mubama I have no idea what real figures we are looking at regard these youngsters.

I respected Dec for not pushing for a move and securing his first huge contract, he had to risk getting injured whilst honouring his contract here and and never getting the big contract, to achieve his aims of a move to a bigger club but honouring his contract until we wished to sell. I think he was on around £40k with some extras anyhow I guess, if reports at the time were accurate.
  • Everyone relax,

Reports that Eric Dier has agreed to join Bayern Munich but will only be allowed to leave once Spurs have signed a replacement defender

Obviously they need someone to translate what Harry Kane says into English
  • Kehrer has joined Monaco on loan with option to buy.
  • Remember Ben Brereton Diaz? Blackburn forward, Chilean international born in Stoke, we were linked on a regular basis but he joined Villarreal in July on a free?

After 20 appearances but only 6 starts and no goals he's joining Sheffield United on loan
  • I do remember that and we shoud of have been all over it =)
  • He could have been a Sully special but probably not deemed South American enough.
  • Lummey

Sky Sports says Felipe Anderson will have negotiations this month over a pre-contract agreement to join Aston Villa on a free in the summer

We all know what happens next...
  • Lummey

Sky Sports says Felipe Anderson will have negotiations this month over a pre-contract agreement to join Aston Villa on a free in the summer

We all know what happens next...

We talk about Fornals' form falling off a cliff, Anderson makes it look like Fornals fell off a kerb.

Anderson had such a good start and genuinely looked like a great signing, but my goodness did he drop off the map. Guessing it was a confidence thing; if so, I wonder what sparked it.

It's a shame he's gonna go on a free, as I think we have a fairly healthy sell-on clause should he be sold.
  • Anderson was a brilliant player on his day, sadly I think there were only about four of those days during his stay with us. I did at one point last season think Paquetta was due the same obituary, but he found his feet in the Premiership in the last third of last season, and would now probably get in every team in the league.
  • I did at one point last season think Paquetta was due the same obituary, but he found his feet in the Premiership in the last third of last season, and would now probably get in every team in the league.

Was he playing

a) over twenty years ago
    b) in Scotland
    c) at rugby union

😂🤣😂

The top tier in English football has been the Premier League since 2001.
  • I did at one point last season think Paquetta was due the same obituary, but he found his feet in the Premiership in the last third of last season, and would now probably get in every team in the league.

Was he playing

a) over twenty years ago
    b) in Scotland
    c) at rugby union

😂🤣😂

The top tier in English football has been the Premier League since 2001.
    Peak Barclays
  • I dont agree woth Kehrer going somewhere on loan (unless he pushed for it). He can fill in plenty of places, especdially with Europe in mind and I'd rather him be back up RB than Johnson.

Sell him and look for a replacement, but no loan for me
  • I suspect he did push for it tbh, he can't have been happy with the game time he's had so far this season. I think our main issue wrt new players is wage/revenue ratio rather than being able to finance a purchase (within reason), so very important to get the wages of any fringe players, especially those on a decent wedge, off the books for the remainder of the season.

I think it was being suggested that there's an obligation included in the loan, so it's likely to be made permanent in the summer anyway.
  • edited January 6
    Shame. He seemed a good personality to have around the club. Improved during the back end of last season & did have a few games where he was really good. Always felt like a utility player, though. Couldn’t see him becoming a regular first team player.

Good look to him. Will always be remembered for being part of that squad that won a trophy.
  • edited January 6
    It's was reported that Kehrer wants more playing time as he's not been called up for the German squad since August and we've got the Euros in the summer. Clearly he wasn't going to get that here so he asked for a move
  • edited January 6
    So lots of noise about Aguerd, which surprised me after this season. I don’t think he’s unsellable but has improved over the season. Apparently we will sell for £30m, if we can sign a replacement, but other reports saying we are in talks with Milan over a loan deal. Not sure if he wants out. Does that explain the ‘virus’? Did he stop playing to avoid injury ahead of January?

Also Antonio has suffered a setback according to the Telegraph, & will likely now not return until February.

Being linked with Bergwijn according to Fabrizio. Currently at Ajax. Loan deal.
  • Timo Werner to Spurs from various sources
  • I’d be really surprised if we sold Aguerd unless it was for a profit. Not saying it won’t happen, but I don’t understand it really.

re: Kehrer, I’m sure I read that he was in like £90k a week. If we do need to reduce wages, then high earning fringe players should be let go.
  • alderz said:

I’d be really surprised if we sold Aguerd unless it was for a profit. Not saying it won’t happen, but I don’t understand it really

Completely agree. CB is an area we need to look at over the next couple of windows, even if we keep Aguerd.

Although he's looked OK in the last couple of games, Ogbonna looked really shaky in some games earlier in the season and he'll be 36 in May; I don't think he's got another season left in him.

Meanwhile, although Zouma is only 29 he definitely has knee issues that affect his availability. He never appears to move freely, and, although he's a quality player despite this, he hasn't got a long term future in the Premier League imo. He's got 18 months left on his current deal, and I doubt we'll offer a new one on good enough terms (eg it should only be something akin to pay as you play) for him to sign it then, especially if there is any interest from Saudi Arabia as has been suggested. If that interest is solid enough for them to make an offer now or in the summer, you'd think we'd have to seriously consider it, especially as I think he's on a pretty high wage.

So big question marks over 2 of our 4 CBs, with our main cover outside of those just released on a loan which might well see him leave permanently. I really don't see why we'd be actively looking to offload Aguerd, especially mid-season, given we're already in the market for 1 or possibly 2 CBs over the course of the current and the summer transfer windows.

• As you say buffy, We need another CB anyway. Would make no sense to let him go unless we have someone lined up.
  • I am not unhappy that Werner has gone to Spurs as there were rumours we wanted him. Whilst I would like us to bring in a striker preferably on loan I just wasn't impressed with him at Chelsea and so don't see him making an impact for Spurs.
  • Although I see this evening we are linked with Steven Bergwijn of Ajax who like Werner failed to have any impact when previously with Spurs. The same BBC gossip page ahs Wolves linked with Ings which would be good for us and him I feel.
  • Perhaqps sell Aguerd for 30M and sneak Kilman from Wolves in a part ex with Ings type of deal.
  • If we can get a resonable fee (and wages off books) for Ings that'd be a major result. We could've signed any number of strikers that dont actually score anymore for less wages
  • I like Aguerd don't really want to see him go .Also like Kilman can't we have them both
  • I dont want him to go either but perhaps there's no smoke without fire if we are considering offers for him.
  • Bergwijn joined Spurs in January 2020 when he was 22yo, made 83 appearances with 38 starts before he left in July 2022. Hardly surprising that he didn't make much of an impression at Spurs when he was basically backup for Son and Kane

Kehrer is an example of the problems we are going to have keeping top quality players, we just don't get enough playing time and players with international ambitions aren't going to be happy sitting on the bench

If he stays fit Zouma will be hoping to get called up for the Euros and Greece are likely to qualify through the playoffs so Mavropanos will still want regular football to stay in contention. Add Aguerd to the equation then they might accept being 3rd choice CB but bring in another quality CB and 4th choice isn't such an attractive proposition.

Maybe at Man City, Real Madrid or PSG but not at West Ham