The Actual Transfer Window

Comments

• Zouma plays every other game it seems.
    I reckon we could manage an extra CB
  • Kehrer is an example of the problems we are going to have keeping top quality players, we just don't get enough playing time and players with international ambitions aren't going to be happy sitting on the bench

That’s why it’s important to use substitutes, and rotate your squad properly.
  • edited January 9
    Ex says that with Benrahma expected to leave we're looking for a LW with a preference for home grown players . Options include Sunderland's 23yo Jack Clarke and Arsenal's 24yo Reiss Nelson.

Another option is 19yo Northern Irish forward Callum Marshall who can play on the left and is set to sign a new contract with us

Fornals might be off to Sevilla

https://www.thewesthamway.com/2024/01/09/cash-in-exwhuemployee-west-ham-january-transfers-update/
  • Trevoh Chalobah is a January transfer target for West Ham, according to reports #Vague!

I like him, hence hope its actually got some legs in it
  • I'm surprised we've not really pushed for Ekitike from PSG on loan, preferably with an option. He's not getting game time nor is he likely to, we've got a decent working relationship with PSG, he can play centrally or off the left, he'll definitely get game-time, we're in the last 16 of the Europa, so, as long as we pick up some of his wages/pay a fee, there's something in it for him, them and us.

I can't see him being particularly expensive, there'd be no long term commitment if it didn't work out (we know PSG are open to loans), so just get it done.
  • Agree, its not like we've not shown any interest in him previously. Strong, pacey and young with plenty to show after being frozen out at PSG
  • edited January 11
    If we get him on loan then he'd be able to cover any minutes Ings would, so no excuse not to offload Ings this window while we've got a chance; I can't believe he'd offer us less than Ings. Benefits us for the remainder of this season and next season too if Ings's wages are off the books. If Ekitike worked out well (assuming we've got an option which PSG have been open to in the past), then it would be a bonus on top.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Trevoh Chalobah is a January transfer target for West Ham, according to reports #Vague!

I like him, hence hope its actually got some legs in it

He was going to Bayern Munich in the summer to reunite with Tuchel but suffered a hamstring in pre-season and hasn't played since July, He tweeted that he "was healed" this week but wasn't on the bench against Boro

Bayern are rumoured to still be interested although they want a loan with option to buy while Chelsea want a straight sale
  • As much as i was against lingard coming back to the club. Maybe he should be looked at as an option, giving him a contract until the end of the season? Desperate times lol
  • edited January 11
    Lingard might be a little rusty, hasn't played since April, just 4 appearances last year and hasn't played more than 45 minutes since December 2022

By the time he's match fit we'll probably have Bowen and Paqueta back!
  • Lingard might be a little rusty, hasn't played since April, just 4 appearances last year and hasn't played more than 45 minutes since December 2022

By the time he's match fit we'll probably have Bowen and Paqueta back!

Thats very true. I didnt think about that. I was just thinking about how desperate we are 😂
    We needed another attacker before we had all these injuries.
  • Ex says we are interested in Leeds Utd 20yo Italian LW/RW Wilfried Gnonto, joined September 2022 from FC Zurich for £3.8m, he wanted a move in the summer but Leeds are now looking to cash in and are reported to be asking £30m

Fulham also interested
  • edited January 12
    IIRC he tried to engineer a move in the summer (maybe refused to play?), wasn't a good look at all for me. His stats don't look anything special, but, as sometimes happens, he had a really good game against us in one of the matches last season so it skews our perception of how good he actually is. Has been pretty ordinary so far this season in the Championship, with just one goal and one assist in 20 matches (mostly substitute appearances, totalling 707 minutes).
  • Conor Coventry has been sold to Charlton:

https://www.whufc.com/news/conor-coventry-completes-charlton-athletic-transfer

No surprise, although technically part of the first team squad he wasn't getting any minutes, and his contract is up in the summer.

On a separate note, Gideon Kodua has joined Freddie Potts on loan at Wycombe Wanderers.
  • Yeah he started the first match of the season then had a three match sulk in August after Leeds rejected a £25m bid from Everton. He started the next five matches, scored in the first but picked up an ankle injury than kept him out for four matches, Since October he's been in and out - mostly out - starting XI

I can't see us meeting Leeds £30m price-tag unless we get a shedload of money from selling players
  • I can't see us meeting Leeds £30m price-tag unless we get a shedload of money from selling players

No way he goes for £30m imo, he's been a bit part player in a lower league so far this season.

• Would rather go for someone more of a finished product than Gnoto, especially for £30mil when money is likely tight

He hasn't got a lot of professional football under his belt, and he seems very raw with pretty poor return in terms of G/A

• edited January 12
    Bazshuayi said:

Coutinho's been a bit of a donkey for a time and he's back from a loan I believe... #incoming

Coutinho's loan deal is until the end of June but the Qatar league takes a break from 22 December to 14 February

Rumours are Coutinho could be going to Inter Miami but according to Brazilian outlet UOL Coutinho would have to pay £22m to leave

Plus if Al Dunhail decided to end the loan Coutinho would also have to pay £22m! That's a tough deal!
  • edited January 12
    Conor Coventry joins Charlton Athletic on a 3-and-a-half year contract for an "undisclosed fee"

Good luck to him

In other news Callum Marshall has been named December PL2 Player of the Month. Was PotM for September
  • Conor Coventry joins Charlton Athletic on a 3-and-a-half year contract for an "undisclosed fee"

Good luck to him

In other news Callum Marshall has been named December PL2 Player of the Month. Was PotM for September

It puzzles me that Callum Marshall has yet to be introduced to the first team, he’s scoring goals for fun and would surely be worth a punt, given that we have so many injuries as well.

• C&H said earlier this week that a possible loan move for Marshall in January has been cancelled (WBA and Colchester interested) because Antonio's return has been put back

Scoring goals in PL2 and against League One/Two sides in the "Johnstone's Paint Trophy" is one thing, stepping up to the Premier League is another
  • DJ Hammer said:

Conor Coventry joins Charlton Athletic on a 3-and-a-half year contract for an "undisclosed fee"

Good luck to him

It puzzles me that Callum Marshall has yet to be introduced to the first team, he’s scoring goals for fun and would surely be worth a punt, given that we have so many injuries as well.

We’ve only got the injuries in the last week though
  • I personally like Gnonto and hope we mke a move for him. Yes, he threw toys out of pram over a move which isnt pretty. However, his youth and potential have been noted by plenty of teams. He's definitely a pacey dangerous player and I think a step up would lift him too. The sort of player who will be worth a pretty penny if he realizes a fraction of that potential. That all said, I wouldn't pay more than 15M (maybe add ons too)

I do recall his goal against us but that's not a swayer as I've seen him in other games plus we could do with a dangerous pacey left sided player
  • Ex has linked us with ex-Celtic 24yo LW/RW Jota who joined Al-Ittihad in the summer but hasn't been registered as they already have eight non-Saudi players in the squad and is available on loan

Also says we are looking at taking Kalvin Philips on loan if he doesn't go to Newcastle

https://www.thewesthamway.com/2024/01/13/available-exwhuemployee-west-ham-january-transfers-update/
  • West Ham Way website says we're looking to cash in on Ben Johnson this month with Rangers, Leeds, Southampton and Sheffield United supposed to be interested although they may favour a loan deal rather than a transfer.

Apparently he won't sign a new contract as he wants £60k pw (currently £20k) and board doesn't think he's worth that

https://www.thewesthamway.com/2024/01/13/number-of-clubs-ben-johnson-likely-to-leave-west-ham-this-month/
  • I don't think he is worth that either
  • I wonder what Coufal is being offered and turning down as he is a first eleven full back, where as Johnson is very much cover at present.
  • edited January 13

I wonder what Coufal is being offered and turning down as he is a first eleven full back, where as Johnson is very much cover at present.

I'm not sure, but I think Coufal might be on his original contract, and I think it was about £35k per week. I seem to remember he was a bit miffed a couple of years ago that he felt he should have been on more, but I don't think he got a new contract at that point. Then he had an injury that he played through last season, and, hardly surprisingly, his performances were below par so again he was overlooked for a pay rise.

Again recently there are suggestions that he is annoyed that we've extended his current contract by a year (up to the end of next season) but only on his current wages; it's been reported that he wanted more money and a longer contract although he will be 33 in August 2025 so I can understand the club's reluctance to offer him anything much beyond that.

£60k a week for Johnson does seem way too much (especially if Coufal is on about £35k a week); he's not done much in the last 18 months to suggest he deserves it. I can't see him getting that much elsewhere either tbh.
  • Never really rated Johnson ,But perhaps he thinks he is better then he is .Championship level at best
  • I am curious to know who earns 60K a week but isnt a first team regular in the Premier League. I get that someone like Phillips at Man City probably is and more. However, he at least has been main man for a team and got a transfer to a top team. Johnson has done what to earn such a wage?