The Actual Transfer Window

Comments

• So lets hope Phillips doesn't take the No 10 shirt next season. 😬
  • Don't like this no option to buy .
  • According to Ex Phillips has a £40m release clause in his contract which we wouldn't be able to afford but there will be further negotiations over a permanent transfer at the end of the season

https://www.thewesthamway.com/2024/01/26/sticky-point-exwhuemployee-hammers-sign-phillips-contract-clause-update/

Also Callum Marshall going on loan to WBA

https://www.thewesthamway.com/2024/01/26/on-the-brink-exwhuemployee-west-ham-striker-set-to-depart-on-loan/
  • Feel like City are pretty relaxed about player values, they don't hold out for every single penny like other clubs

They let players go for good but not overinflated values
  • I know it was kinda a photo opp arranged by the club, but KP does come across very well, a genuine guy 👏👏👏.
  • West Brom is a pretty high level for him. I thought he’d go lower down the leagues, tbh. If he makes an impact I’ll be very impressed and excited about his future
  • Yea a perhaps strange move for Callum

It's a hard league and he's 19, he's I n ateam in the playoff spots and they play with a lone striker, that striker has an okish 9 goals from 21 games which is pretty decent and is gonna be unlikely he'll be dropped

Seems a strange one
  • edited January 27
    A good signing for the squad. We are light in midfield; Soucek, JWP, Alvarez only now that Paqueta plays in a narrow left position. I’d assume he’d be expecting to get games, so any of those three could come out for him. I’d expect we’d keep JWP in there, so one of Soucek or Alvarez (possibly Soucek). With Kudus back & Bowen ok again, we look pretty strong. Just need Paqueta & Aguerd to return & our squad looks very healthy again. I think the only position we need now is an attacking player due to the likelihood of Fornals going & possibly Benrahma.

Whether he will be successful is up for debate. He’s only here for 4 months & has barely played for 2 years. No option to buy means it may not last long.
  • So our (current) fully fit squad looks like…

Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Aguerd - Emerson
    Alvarez - JWP
    Kudus - Soucek - Paqueta
    Bowen

Fabianski
    Johnson - Mavropanos - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Cornet - Phillips - Fornals - Benrahma
    Ings
    Antonio
  • Lukerz, surely Phillips comes in ahead of Soucek.
  • edited January 27

https://www.thewesthamway.com/2024/01/26/on-the-brink-exwhuemployee-west-ham-striker-set-to-depart-on-loan/

West Brom is a pretty high level for him. I thought he’d go lower down the leagues, tbh. If he makes an impact I’ll be very impressed and excited about his future

They were my thoughts, I think he will be doing well to get minutes at West Brom and if he isn't then whats the point? If my memory serves me I think Declan went to Bradford, they chose a less prominent team and he got regular minutes and made an impact.
  • If you’re talking about Declan Rice, he didn’t go on loan anywhere
  • I wasn't sure as I mentioned and I must have got the player mixed up, I do have a memory of us sending someone out to Bradford? and it working out well and them really getting on with him and the player getting lots of playing time. Maybe I am imagining the whole thing, it wouldn't be the first time.
  • edited January 27
    Just looked up the connection. It was Josh Cullen who made 40 appearances for Bradford on loan, that's the player I was thinking of. I found out that Reece Burke also went out on loan to Bradford and made 34 appearances. Both good examples of loan players getting good minutes.
  • edited January 28
    C&H reporting that Fornals is close to joining Real Betis to reunite with Manuel Pellegrini which makes sense now we have Phillips and Betis selling Henriqueand.

Soucek told Czech podcast V Repre he rejected a move to Saudi Arabia in the summer because "this is not my cup of coffee" and "I don't want somewhere where I will have the highest contract, but seven hundred people will go to the matches".

He would also reject offers from USA or China and when he does finally leave he would prefer to go back to the Czech League - especially Slavia Prague - although he would also consider offers from Italy or Germany

Gotta love Tommy
  • Plenty of Benrahma drama

Sun says Brentford are interested after deciding Sunderland's Jack Clarke is overpriced

HITC says Everton want him to replace Arnaut Danjuma (on loan from Villarreal) who has agreed to sign with Lyon

C&H reporting that Sullivan has been told by an "advisor" (the hint is its Will Salthouse) that Ibrahim Osman is not up to Premier League standard and is "a massive gamble for the price being asked"
  • Sullivan was also probably told that Toney wasn't up to Premier league standard and look at him now.
  • Barry Fry offered Toney to us for £6m before he went to Brentford.
  • Apparently some rogue agent has claimed he has to be paid millions for Osman to join West Ham, even though he has no actual involvement with the club or player. Not sure why that would scupper the deal though. Strange.
  • IronHerb said:

Barry Fry offered Toney to us for £6m before he went to Brentford.

Still glad we didn't get him - he's nasty.
  • Apparently some rogue agent has claimed he has to be paid millions for Osman to join West Ham, even though he has no actual involvement with the club or player. Not sure why that would scupper the deal though. Strange.

Jacob Steinberg and Fabrizio Romano both reporting that the problem is simply that we have offered £15m which they rejected, they want £21m which we have refused and neither is prepared to budge
  • Sunderland reject Lazio's £14m bid for Jack Clarke and have set a price tag of £21m according to Fabrizio Romano
  • so i assume they have rejected our bid of ings for clarke =)
  • I am not sure if that is a serious possibility, but I have watched Sunderland a lot these past few years and they play a blend of attractive forward looking football that might just suit Ings, they are also a very young team who would benefit from his experience.

For me, I was quite excited when he joined us but it has obviously not worked out, but for Sunderland, that seems to make a whole lot of sense to me
  • Lyon submit £15m (plus add-ons) offer for Benrahma, according to The Athletic.
  • Lukerz said:

Lyon submit £15m (plus add-ons) offer for Benrahma, according to The Athletic.

It's a decent offer imo, given the role he's likely to play for us going forward.

• Lukerz said:

Lyon submit £15m (plus add-ons) offer for Benrahma, according to The Athletic.

It's a decent offer imo, given the role he's likely to play for us going forward.

I personally would take it, but I worry about a lack of options from the bench. If he goes and we can get Clarke for £21m, then that’s a decent deal. Clarke may or may not prove to be an upgrade, but we know for certain that Benrahma just isn’t the guy.
  • I imagine it's a deal that will happen if we get a replacement in and that's why it's not quite gone through yet. If the add-ons are reasonable then it's not a bad price.

He is a decent player and it's rare he doesn't beat his man and deliver the ball, it's just that delivery is so often a let down.
  • I’m assuming we don’t let Fornals & Benrahma go with nobody else coming in.