The Actual Transfer Window

Comments

• BBC tells me Jesse Lingard has sacked his agent. A year too late IMO. I wonder who Ben Johnson 's agent is? 🤔

• Bazshuayi said:

I am curious to know who earns 60K a week but isnt a first team regular in the Premier League. I get that someone like Phillips at Man City probably is and more. However, he at least has been main man for a team and got a transfer to a top team. Johnson has done what to earn such a wage?

Probably City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle, Spurs, United squad players for a start.
  • IronHerb said:

Bazshuayi said:

I am curious to know who earns 60K a week but isnt a first team regular in the Premier League. I get that someone like Phillips at Man City probably is and more. However, he at least has been main man for a team and got a transfer to a top team. Johnson has done what to earn such a wage?

Probably City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle, Spurs, United squad players for a start.
    I’m sure I’ve seen it reported that Danny Ings is on over £100k pw
  • Genuine question, how does anyone know what players earn or how much they want?
  • Guesstimation.
  • Agents (and others) leaking info; People making calculations based on clubs' published accounts; knowledge of clubs' wages policies. Not necessarily to be relied on 100%, but you can see how someone who does the research might arrive at a ballpark figure.
  • Slacker said:

Genuine question, how does anyone know what players earn or how much they want?

Don't really know but I use this site -

https://salarysport.com/football/
  • https://salarysport.com/about-us/

Link to the bit of that site which explains where they collate info from.
  • I guess there is more than the wage demand to be considered for the club as they will factor in the cost of acquiring his replacement. It all comes down to whether they think he can make it into our starting eleven, as if not anywhere near that wage is an awful lot of money.

He may be throwing an unlikely figure in to see if it's worth his time staying if not playing, at his age he really needs to be starting for someone. I could understand him taking 30k per week from someone like Southampton if starting rather than 40k from us to be on a bench, but at 60k he may say ok I will warm the bench if it secures me and my family for life.

From a Football point of view rather than economics I am not sure he would be more than good cover for us.
  • He's 23. imo he needs at this stage to be playing a lot more if he's going to reach his full potential.
  • edited January 16
    Sky Sports linking us with 19yo Ghanaian LW/RW Ibrahim Osman (joined Nordsjaelland in July last year) as an alternative to Al-Ittihad's Jota who is currently on £200k pw which might be a bit more than we are prepared to pay
  • If we weren’t in the market for a player or two, we should be now.
  • We aren't paying anyone 200k a week
  • Jordan Henderson's going to Ajax. Does anyone think they're matching his Saudi wages? Pay cuts are a thing, it just depends on the players motivation to move.

Regardless, the hottest rumour seems to be Jack Clarke from Sunderland. According to the salary website that Herb posted he's on about £15kpw, so wages aren't going to be an issue. I think the work that Moyes has done with Jarrod Bowen would be quite a good case to prove that he would get opportunities to make that left wing position his own. Even aside from Bowen, Moyes has given Benrahma plenty of opportunities after coming out of the Championship, so there's a good precedent set.
  • I'm no advocate of January buys, but surely we can't be happy with Ings, Cornet, Benrahma and Fornals as our offensive back-ups

I'd be putting all 4 firmly in the shop window but I doubt we'd have many interested clubs
  • Aren't Marseille reportedly interested in Benrahama? Maybe thats why he kicked out, to push his price down and try to force a move. It just seems crazy how he kicked out yesterday.
  • Marseille wanted Benrahma on loan with option to buy but we want a straight sale, He's also been linked with Lyon
  • Ajax fans must be delighted at that news, they lose Kudus and Alverez but get Henderson on loan after it didn't work out for him in Saudi.
  • Few reports out there mainly from Leeds sites saying Gnonto is coming to us .Not sure about him bit of a wild card and don't think he will come cheep .Thought he looked good last season ,But has shown nothing this season and tried to force a move last summer .
  • The sort of pacey, skillful left sided player I hoped Cornet woudld be. I'd be very happy if the Gnonto rumour is true
  • Talk again about Kalvin Phillips signing, whilst I would very much like him I fear it would involve Paquetta going in the opposite direction. To be fair though he is linked with a different club twice a week at present.

• We need attacks or a CB, we don't need a other defensive mid unless Alvarez injury is much worse then it seems
  • Phillips played CB a few times when at Leeds 2018/19 season. Ex says Moyes is a big admirer of Phillips although Brighton and Crystal Palace also want him

Ex also says that "negotiations have started" over wingers FC Nordsjælland's brahim Osman, Al-Ittihad's Jota and Sunderland's Jack Clarke although I don't imagine we're going to sign all of them
  • Reports are saying City want 7 mil for Phillips Loan .If that's true it,s crazy just for 5 months
  • Its being reported that we are looking at trying to get Smith Rowe on loan.
  • Aslef spotted wearing a Twitter shirt amid rumours of a transfer away from WHU606.

https://x.com/shruggedaslef/status/1748316359979638854?s=46&t=QtRzG_joPcLexO4DuTX8Rw
  • I would be extremely happy if we signed Smith Rowe. I think he’s quality. Phillips is a bit of a strange one to me as you’d think he’d be a starter, but Alvarez has been great. So does that mean Soucek wouldn’t play?
  • alderz said:

I would be extremely happy if we signed Smith Rowe. I think he’s quality. Phillips is a bit of a strange one to me as you’d think he’d be a starter, but Alvarez has been great. So does that mean Soucek wouldn’t play?

Yes. Soucek can be good in both boxes but he lacks top quality in midfield.
  • edited January 19
    alderz said:

I would be extremely happy if we signed Smith Rowe. I think he’s quality. Phillips is a bit of a strange one to me as you’d think he’d be a starter, but Alvarez has been great. So does that mean Soucek wouldn’t play?

Atm we have a pretty decent starting 11 for how Moyes sets us up, but basically zero cover; the drop off in quality in nearly every position is huge. Phillips could well start ahead of Soucek in a one-off game of huge importance, but the main thing would be to have an extra player of decent ability to enable us to cover injuries and suspensions, and to allow us to rotate players in what could be a busy schedule should we have a deep run in the EL.

Any quality player, especially if they can cover a number of our starting 11, will improve us. Any concern I have with Phillips relates to what value for money he would give, and the opportunity cost of signing him at the expense of not signing someone else.

• £7mil for a 5-month emergency loan for a potential back-up DM would be tragic business and completely unsustainable for a team that clearly can't spend just whatever we want

We struck gold with the Lingard loan deal, but that was clearly the exception and not the norm, not just for us but for pretty much any team