Declan Rice departs West Ham United

Comments

• Arsenal
    Bayern Munich
    Manchester City
    Manchester United
    Unknown Spanish club

All interested according to Ex
  • Captions for the above photo of Dec and Mason......

" Let's run off to the Emirates together "...........
  • I'd be very sad if he ended up at Utd
  • Captions for the above photo of Dec and Mason......

" Let's run off to the Emirates together "...........

All very Arabian Nights =)
  • All very Arabian Nights =)

Rosan Kobar!

Size of an elephant!
  • Hamstew said:

I'd be very sad if he ended up at Utd

It's gonna happen
  • Arsenal have agreed personal terms with West Ham's England midfielder Declan Rice, 24. (FootballTransfers)

But Bayern Munich have not given up hope of signing Rice from the Hammers after a positive meeting with him in London, with the German champions set to prepare an official offer. (Sky Sport Germany)
  • Not sure I believe “FootballTransfers”. Pretty sure that the news has been that there won’t be any discussions between player or clubs until after the final.
  • Exactly. If what is being said is true then it doesn’t look good on Rice when he’s supposed to be preparing for a final. Having said that footballers can’t seem to think or deal for themselves and it’s possible his agent is doing it all.
    Obviously his agent will have Declan’s best interests at heart and not his own.
  • Rice's agent is his dad.

I have no doubts that he's been in conversations with suitors and his son.

The club line is that they won't entertain bids until after Wednesday, but I think that's probably not the case in reality. I suspect conversations have been going on for months between chairmen.
  • I would not have any doubt about Dec’s mentality or commitment for West Ham ahead of that cup final. If he wants to lay the groundwork ahead of Wednesday for a move, I see no issue with that. He’ll give everything on that pitch next Wednesday.
  • edited June 2023
    Rumours are Declan has decided he wants to join Arsenal & his family are in agreement and the fee is £70 million, the gooner supporting hacks are saying much the same. Problem is we don't have to allow him to go for that fee and I would expect us to hold out for more money. If no one offers what we value him at where does that leave us?
  • Rumours are Declan has decided he wants to join Arsenal & his family are in agreement and the fee is £70 million, the gooner supporting hacks are saying much the same. Problem is we don't have to allow him to go for that fee and I would expect us to hold out for more money. If no one offers what we value him at where does that leave us?

Our board may have painted themselves into a corner on this one. If they've stated it'll cost £100m, and then sell for £70m, they're opening themselves up to a world of pain.

If they hold out for the full amount, and don't get it, it might force Rice to hand in a transfer request, or see out his contract on bad terms.
  • Which makes the £40m valuation of JW-P even more ludicrous.
  • The report was by "Arsenal correspondent" Steve Kay

This is from his Twitter page

• There's no way we accept a fee of £70m, and I don't think Rice would realistically expect us to either.
  • The report was by "Arsenal correspondent" Steve Kay

This is from his Twitter page

I’ve lost track of the rules here, but is this not seen as “tapping up”? I believe a person under contract cannot speak to other teams. I’m not naive enough to think it’s not going on, but not sure all these reports are accurate.
  • edited June 2023

I’ve lost track of the rules here, but is this not seen as “tapping up”? I believe a person under contract cannot speak to other teams. I’m not naive enough to think it’s not going on, but not sure all these reports are accurate.

Indeed, it might be "tapping up" if what "transfer expert" Steve Kay is reporting is factual but it could be a load of rubbish from a Gooner who reckons he's an ITK

I haven't been able to find a Linkdin profile or anything else so I have no idea if he's genuine or not
  • Tapping up doesn’t seem to be something that anyone cares about anymore and I don’t understand why that’s the case. It always used to happen, but at least people tried to be secretive about it!
  • If the club has said to Rice they will sanction a sale for the right fee, I don’t see why he won’t be able to have informal discussions with clubs.
  • I think if they were to get an offer for £85m+ the club would have to have some tricky conversations with Rice, but at less than that I think he’d understand our reluctance to accept.
  • alderz said:

I think if they were to get an offer for £85m+ the club would have to have some tricky conversations with Rice, but at less than that I think he’d understand our reluctance to accept.

I agree, but I think we quoted £120m to ensure we get at least £100m; at £85m we tell Rice he needs to persuade the buying club to pay more as he must realise he's worth more than that, especially if Mount, a significantly worse player, is being touted at £60-70m with only a year left on his contract.
  • I think we’ll end up around £90m for Rice with some additional payments down the line.
  • Maguire went to Man Utd fpr £80m 4 years ago. If we want a high fee, they will pay it.

£70 million would be a joke
  • If Arsenal were supposed to be bidding 90M (as has been mentioned a few times but yes its always guesswork by virtually everyone), whats another 10M between friends?

Personally, I want him to go to the highest bidder whoever it is so we can get more Kamaras and Songs for our money
  • edited June 2023
    I think people believing Bayern is a no-go are wrong. If you’re Dec, you could easily go there for 2/3 years & bag a load of trophies quickly, playing in the Champions League, then come back to the PL at 26/27 for another big club & still have like 8 years of football left in you. They play for four trophies each season, winning two trophies last season, the year before, in 2020/21 & three trophies in 2019/20 & 2018/19. They have qualified for the Champions League 1/4 finals for the last four consecutive seasons, winning the entire competition in 2020. To me, it doesn’t matter if the Bundesliga is a two team league. He’s played in the competitive PL for 4 years now. He can always return at a later date.

It’s a guarantee of trophies for as long as Dec stays there. He could go to Arsenal for 5 years, play in the CL, but quite easily win nothing. Arsenal have had their best season in quite some time this season, yet ended up quite far away from winning anything. Man Utd won the league cup, Chelsea finished bottom half, Liverpool aren’t even in the CL next season.

Staying in the PL is only worth it IMO if it’s Man City. Anybody else; Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, it’s going to be a massive gamble if those clubs are going to be in a position to win any trophies whilst Man City are operating as they are.

Ok, it’s moving abroad. That’s the only catch. But in terms of his desire to win silverware it’s a no-brainer, which is what he has said on countless occasions in interviews. At Bayern, it’s at least two trophies a season (almost a guarantee), Champions League football every year, playing for England as a regular in midfield when he’s not playing for Bayern, playing in a fantastic football stadium under a manager who clearly rates him & achieved miracles at Chelsea with hindsight. Even if he goes there for only three years (until 27), that’s 6 trophies based on their recent history, plus the potential to win an additional 6.

The only issue is going to be whether he has the confidence to give up London for Munich.
  • edited June 2023

Not sure how accurate, but he is a journalist who works for Marca with 177k followers.
  • Only, it isn't really four trophies. Nobody here cares about the league cup and they have come up against tough opposition in the DFB cup in recent seasons.
    Personally I hope he doesn't go to Bayern because I hate that team but at least it would give me an excuse to watch the Sportschau every week where they show all the highlights.
  • edited June 2023
    It’s still a trophy. Point is if he signed a four-year deal with no intention of staying beyond four years, it takes him to 28. They would have to sell him sooner to make money on him.

He can spend a couple of years ensuring he has some trophies to look back on when he retires, then he can move back to England in his mid 20s with the aim of winning a PL & an FA Cup etc. He has as good a chance of winning the CL with Bayern as he does with Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea. Man City are probably the exception but don’t seem to be seriously interested with Rodri & Stones in midfield.
  • edited June 2023
    Personally I don't think winning the Bundesliga is much of a draw to an English player; Bayern's dominance completely devalues it, and although it's a stronger league than, say, France (PSG) or even Scotland (Celtic) where a certain team is almost guaranteed domestic success, personally I don't think it will be a big draw for Rice. La Liga is the only foreign league than can compare with the appeal of winning the PL, unless you have a personal connection with another league (eg a Frenchman winning Ligue 1).

On top of all that, Rice seems reluctant to leave London, let alone England, so I just don't see a move to Bayern happening.