Declan Rice departs West Ham United

edited July 2023 in Completed Transfers
Thought I’d open a specific Declan Rice thread, given the likelihood of him leaving this summer, just to ensure the more generic transfer thread doesn’t get completely consumed by Rice discussions. I can see this needing lots of attention over the summer so a thread to discuss all things Declan & maybe a potential tribute should he move on.

It looks like Arsenal is his ‘favoured’ move, which makes sense with the likes of Ramsdale, White, Saka, Smith-Rowe, Nketiah, plus a London club & the likelihood that Xhaka is moving on in the summer. I’m not sure they are going to get better next season after this, even with Rice, but it’s probably a comfortable club for him to move to & one where he fits the squad demographic - young, developing.

Hopefully he can sign off with a win at Leicester, a trophy & an open-top bus parade. I really hope the owners hold out for £100m.

Comments

• It's quite funny over on KUMB, with people arguing that Arsenal is barely a step up and that Dec shouldn't even consider it. Whilst it's true that Man City is really the only club that can, atm, almost guarantee PL titles and realistic CL challenges, they're the one club that has someone of similar quality to how Rice plays and at a decent age in Rodri. That doesn't rule out a move for Rice; they'd certainly upgrade their squad by replacing Phillips with Rice, but is that their priority? Maybe it is a consideration to prevent Rice going elsewhere?

Behind City though, you can make a strong case for CL for probably 5 teams, so at least 2 will likely miss out (and I'm not even counting Spurs). Starting with apparent favourites to sign Rice, Arsenal have really upped their game this season, and, but for a collapse of Crisp proportions in the run-in, would have won their first title in 20 years. They have the joint youngest squad in the PL, and, at times this season, have played some fantastic football. I think the loss of Saliba through injury was a big factor in their season tailing off as it has done; they either need to strengthen their depth at CB, or possibly at RB where Ben White has had a surprisingly good season unless, of course, he stays there going forward. With the likely departure of Xhaka and the inconsistent performances of Partey this season, you can certainly see why Rice is a target, but Arsenal have also been strongly linked with Caicedo at Brighton; it's hard to see them spending the required nearly £200m in CM alone.

Will Arsenal manage to repeat a good league finish next season and those to come? On the face of it, with such a young squad and, even though I dislike him, an improving manager, you'd certainly think so, but they may find it tougher in the early part of next season as they're playing in the CL group stages, for the first time since the 2016/7 season, rather than the much easier EL groups. In addition, for those of you interested in such things, up until the international break at the end of March (right before the wheels started to come off), Arsenal were exceding their xG for the season by over 13 goals, suggesting they'd had a bit of a purple patch in front of goal for the first part of the season.

Man Utd seem to be heading in the right direction, and they do often play a 4-2-3-1 although sometimes with 2 holding players, and sometimes one holding and one deeper playmaker. Neither Fred nor McTominay are really good enough (certainly not as good as Rice), and Casemiro is 31 although playing very well.

Liverpool have surprisingly been well off the pace this season after having narrowly lost out on the title to City twice, and beaten them once, in the last 4 seasons. They have finished the season strongly though, and, with an ageing midfield, would really benefit from Rice, but question marks have been raised as to whether they could afford the transfer fee. No CL next season, but likely to challenge at least for top 4 next season, and probably start as favourites for the EL as well.

With a decent season, you'd have made Chelsea favourites to sign Rice; much has been made of his friendship with Mount, and Rice's own connection with the club. However, it's been a crazy season for them, so many players brought in, 3 managers with a new one to come next season (albeit a good one) and owned by someone who makes Sullivan look like an astute owner. On top of that, Mount hasn't signed a new contract is expected to move, so I'm not sure Chelsea are likely to come out on top of the race for Rice's signature; definitely no European football for them at all next season as well.

Newcastle have enjoyed their best season in a long time, obviously backed by Saudi money. They are, however, hampered by the FFP regulations moreso than Chelsea or Man City were when they benefited from a big money takeover, and they'll also have to cope with European football which will undoubtedly stretch their current squad (although the fact that they're in the CL rather than a lesser European competition will hugely boost their revenue helping with squad building amidst aforementioned FFP restrictions). Repeating top 4 could be a big ask next season imo.

Geography is something to be considered. I'm not saying it would stop a move to certain clubs, but much is made of Rice's closeness to family and friends, and the impression is that he would prefer to stay in London; the fact that he has a partner and young family could mean an added factor, and all in all location is probably one of the main reasons Arsenal seem to be favourites to sign Rice.
  • That says it all, Buffy 😉
  • edited May 2023
    Chelsea is the club he should go to. Under Poch (if they get him), money to burn, his local team, came from their academy. I saw a couple of rumours that something had soured behind the scenes which now made the deal unlikely, but I could see him being captain in that Chelsea midfield for the rest of his career. They’d need to buy some good players to get back towards the top, but I think that is the sensible move for him. I also think it is still more likely Chelsea will win the PL than Arsenal, despite this season.

Man City are the club I’d want him to move to. They need a player that they thought Phillips was, they have lots of young English talent (Foden, Stones, Grealish, Phillips), a world class manager, a trophy winning machine, humble set of fans. They are your guarantee of trophies. Have won the PL, with potentially CL & FA Cup to follow. Play fantastic football.

Arsenal is a ‘safe’ move, but I don’t think he’ll sit there in 5 years with a cabinet full of medals.
  • Let's hope he gets a great send off after the match, whatever the result. It'll be sad to see him go
  • edited May 2023
    https://www.skysports.com/ipad/liveArticle/12476234?postid=5980048#liveblog-body

West Ham's Rice speaks to Tuchel and Bayern
    Declan Rice has spoken to Bayern Munich manager Thomas Tuchel over the phone and is open to joining the German champions, report Sky Germany.
    Sky Sports News revealed earlier this month that Rice could leave West Ham over the summer and he has a "gentleman's agreement" with the club to let him leave, providing the price is right.
    However, Arsenal are set to bid for Rice this summer and time is running out for Bayern to enter the picture.
  • I don't want him to go, but he's going, isn't he. Like, I know he is, but I don't want him to. Despite knowing that he is.

I just want it done quickly. Lift the trophy on the 7th, sign for City or Bayern on the 8th. Get it done, get his replacement signed and let's all move on. A protracted saga would really annoy me.
  • Bayern Munich are prepared to pay £95m sign West Ham and England midfielder Declan Rice, with the German side determined to beat Arsenal to the signature of the 24-year-old. (Mirror)
  • I can't see him at Bayern at all, but the more who come in for him the bigger the price. Lets get Newcastle in as well hopefully just to really push that price up.
  • I would love it if he went to Bayern. I don’t want him staying in the Premier League
  • I agree with Claret. Zero chance of him going to Bayern/ They may win the league every year but that dont pay the sort of money it'll take to buy Declan. He's Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea or Newcastle bound i.e. the Premiership with its money
  • I can't see Arsenal paying over £100 million for him.
  • edited May 2023
    Bayern is the no-brainer, but I would be surprised if he wants to leave England.

They’d play in the CL every year without fail, get further in it than Arsenal, pretty much always win the Bundesliga, domestic German trophies.

In terms of if he wants a guarantee of silverware, that’s a no-brainer.

Bayern
    Arsenal
    Man Utd

Anybody else want to join the party?
  • edited May 2023
    Nowhere is Declan Rice quoted that he's leaving West Ham.
  • Much the same as Scamacca then? 😉
  • That's my point exactly.
  • German news agency TZ have claimed that Tuchel, sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic and technical director Marco Neppe met with Declan and his dad in London last week

Oddly Salihamdzic was sacked along with CEO Oliver Kahn an hour after Bayern won the title on Saturday
  • Declan has been mature and professional beyond his years around all of this. However, just because he hasn't said anything doesn't mean he will stay. He would be completely justified in wanting to play at the highest level possible and win trophies imo. My guess is that his agents and the club have already got a verbal agreement.

We will want to interest as many clubs as possible in order to get the best deal. That might mean we take some time to see who the highest bidder is. Declan's agents will also want a good deal and Declan will want to make sure he goes somewhere that respects and values him as a player and where he can fit in well.

We might want it all to happen quickly but my guess is it won't.
  • Nowhere is Declan Rice quoted that he's leaving West Ham.

But he wouldn't say as much, would he. He's a professional lad and is, for now, 100% committed (and contracted) to West Ham. He's not daft enough, or badly advised enough, to say he's leaving until at least the season is over.

But I think it's probably a fair assumption that he is going to move on in the summer.
  • Lukerz said:

Bayern is the no-brainer, but I would be surprised if he wants to leave England.

They’d play in the CL every year without fail, get further in it than Arsenal, pretty much always win the Bundesliga, domestic German trophies.

In terms of if he wants a guarantee of silverware, that’s a no-brainer.

Bayern
    Arsenal
    Man Utd

Anybody else want to join the party?

Is there any satisfaction in that though? Unless he wins the CL, it’s just coasting.
  • If you had the choice to go to the Bundesliga or to one of the top English sides, what would you pick? Bayern cant compete financially and nor does the league offer any enticement for a young, hungry international. Bayern are going in hoping but I doubt any of them think they'll get him once the Man Utd, Chelsea etc flex their financial muscles. Chelsea not being in Europe wont help. I think he will got to Utd or Arsenal. Then Newcastle in 3rd and City forth guess wise
  • edited May 2023
    I get the sense that Rice Is the type of player who doesn’t just want to win but wants to be a player who makes the win happen. Arsenal would appeal for that kind of reason - he goes in and becomes the player that pushes them beyond the point they reached this season. Bayern would be like going to PSG, you’re just playing for the champions league. Even Man U would offer him that satisfaction.

Maybe I’m completely wrong in that but I would’ve thought that would play a part in his decision making.
  • Bazshuayi said:

If you had the choice to go to the Bundesliga or to one of the top English sides, what would you pick? Bayern cant compete financially and nor does the league offer any enticement for a young, hungry international.

I think Bellingham, although at Dortmund, might disagree as he prepares to join RM though I generally agree with your post.
  • Bellingham joined at a very different stage of his career to Rice though.
  • But he was better than Rice at that stage.
  • edited May 2023
    You think Bellingham was better then than Rice is now?

Personally can understand why a teenager would go for regular game time and European competition that he would struggle more for at his age in the premier league but less so for someone approaching his mid-20s and already established in the premier league. Bundesliga was a step up from the championship but clearly isn’t from the premier league.
  • Nice interview with Rice, although it must have been second half of last season so not particularly recent:

One thing that comes through time and time again (100% 😂🤣😂) in the interview is how much Rice values the closeness of his family, and friends to a degree as well. I really can't see Germany happening, and you can see why many think London based clubs have an advantage in the race for his signature.
  • You think Bellingham was better then than Rice is now?

Personally can understand why a teenager would go for regular game time and European competition that he would struggle more for at his age in the premier league but less so for someone approaching his mid-20s and already established in the premier league. Bundesliga was a step up from the championship but clearly isn’t from the premier league.

I don't think I said that more Bellingham was better than Rice at the age of 17.
  • IronHerb said:

Bazshuayi said:

If you had the choice to go to the Bundesliga or to one of the top English sides, what would you pick? Bayern cant compete financially and nor does the league offer any enticement for a young, hungry international.

I think Bellingham, although at Dortmund, might disagree as he prepares to join RM though I generally agree with your post.
    Madrid are a way bigger draw than any German team and obviously have that winning pedigree too plus arent frightened to lay out a few quid either... I just dont see any appeal for Rice in Germany
  • West Ham's England midfielder Declan Rice would prefer to stay in the Premier League this summer as he prepares to snub a move to Bayern Munich, with Arsenal and Manchester United most keen on the 24-year-old. (Mail)