Comments

• Can I change my mind to Moyes in =)
  • steve said:

Can I change my mind to Moyes in =)

Fickle? Moi?
    😉
  • steve said:

Can I change my mind to Moyes in =)

Looking forward to your change of change of mind after the next three Premiership fixtures, Steve 😉
  • edited February 2023
    I think there have been slow signs now that Moyes is turning this around (or steering it in the correct direction, after several new players joined the ship & needed to work out what they needed to do).

Form in 2023 (all comps):
    Leeds 2-2 West Ham (PL)
    Brentford 0-1 West Ham (FA Cup)
    Wolves 1-0 West Ham (PL)
    West Ham 2-0 Everton (PL)
    Derby 0-2 West Ham (FA Cup)
    Newcastle 1-1 West Ham (PL)

I think some of the recent key changes have been:
    Dropping Soucek/Cresswell
    Aguerd returning
    Sticking with the back 3
    Brave enough to start Benrahma

Settling on this 3-4-3 formation is a positive move. It allows Emerson to build up some confidence in the side & gives us good defensive solidity. The injury to Zouma & now Kehrer doesn’t really leave us with much left here other than Johnson playing RCB.

Antonio I think gives us much more as a starter getting a run of games than a sporadic, impact sub. I don’t think it benefits him sitting out the side & then being given 25 mins to do something; he takes most of that just getting his touch right.

Coufal seems to be getting some sort of form back, in terms of getting forward & delivering crosses. Looks a bit sharper. Oggy has been really good since coming into the side & Aguerd just brings the quality of the back 3 up a level.

Rice & Paqueta are working nicely as a CM at the moment. Bowen is starting to impact games & Benrahma gives us a nice out ball. The pressure is on him though to start being better with it. He was so wasteful at Newcastle. If he’d made the correct decisions, we’d have been leading at half time, & you could see the frustration on many players faces (including one clip of Cresswell warming up as he decided to shoot & not pass).

We still have reasonable options on the bench with Soucek, Downes, Fornals, Lanzini, Ings & that’s not including the likes of Zouma, Cornet & Scamacca.

We should be well set now to steer away from the bottom 3 &, even though we have some tough games, we should be looking to take points off Chelsea & Spurs.
  • Luke, that was a really nice blast of fresh air.
    Obviously it could all go wrong but it’s great to see some positivity on here.
  • Wish I’d written this.
    My position to a T.

Time for a ceasefire (by Paul Walker)
    https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=44500
    #koyi #whufc
  • For me, I think that we will do enough under DM to keep us up and that moving him on this year is likely to be more disruptive than anything, I am however doubtful that he should still be in charge for the start of next season.

There is a new cadre of younger managers out there with new ideas and hopefully we will secure somebody who can take us forward.

I think that if I was DM, I would look to step down even if we stay up, he has had a good run in the game and should look to get out whilst still ahead.
  • IMO, if we were going to get rid, the window was 5 or 6 weeks ago. Clearly, Moyes will be here for the rest of the season, and if he keeps us up (which I think he will) then he should stay on, for me. His Everton record had a really good 5th place, followed by 17th followed by a couple of top 6 finishes (that’s from memory, but the pattern is something like that). For me, if we stay up he stays and we’ll have a much better season next year, as loads of our players will have a year under their belts by then.
  • The problem is that most of those players have already had more than a year under him. Unfortunately, because of injury, three of his new signings will have had less than a full season and, by the looks of it, one of those less than half a season if anything at all.
  • Former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp would be open a return to management should Leeds United ask him to come out of retirement. (Mirror)

We should have been all over that ;)
  • The problem is that most of those players have already had more than a year under him. Unfortunately, because of injury, three of his new signings will have had less than a full season and, by the looks of it, one of those less than half a season if anything at all.

True, but I believe our longer serving players have been poorer this season as we've tried (failed?) to implement a new style of play, with new players who have failed to settle as quickly as required. I know he's injured now, but Paqueta recently has started to look like a real player. If we'd had that Paqueta from the start of the season I think the likes of Bowen would have had a better season than they have.

Similarly, it's not just about the settling on the pitch when it comes to new signings. Paqueta, Kehrer, Scamacca and Aguerd have all moved to London from other countries. I'm not sure what their families are doing, but it takes a bit of time to settle into a different culture. Once they settle down off the field, I think we'll see a lot more of them all on it.
  • Dodger58 said:

Former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp would be open a return to management should Leeds United ask him to come out of retirement. (Mirror)

A brown paper bag slowly shuffles by....
  • I'd now keep him until the end of the season. I think he'll keep us up but we'll be down near the relegation zone come end of the season. I wouldn't keep him on next season though. Reasons being:

I think the core players who've been with Moyes for a few seasons have regressed. This might be because many of them are getting on, but also maybe an element of complacency and perhaps Moyes isn't very inspiring or motivational? As a fan, he doesn't come across as the most exciting of managers and I wonder if this is how some of our players see it.

Too slow at immersing new signings into our team. Yes, I do agree with comments above that next season the likes of Paqueta, Kehrer, Scammaca etc should feel more at home both on and off the field (assuming they're still here), however if we sign new players, it'll be the same situation with the new signings all over again. Benrahama is a great example of a player who's been with us for a fair amount of time now but Moyes hasn't really developed his game into a regular and consistent first team player. I don't think Moyes knows how to find a striker like a younger version of Antonio who'd suit our system.

Lastly, my big question/concern is if we have a dip in form at some point in the season (every team has them to some extent), it could become a toxic atmosphere with our fans and this could manifest itself internally in the club (ie with the players).
  • Areola
    Kehrer - Zouma - Aguerd
    Coufal - Paqueta - Rice - Emerson
    Bowen - Scamacca - Benrahma

Fabianski, Ogbonna, Johnson, Soucek, Fornals, Lanzini, Cornet, Antonio, Ings (this doesn’t include Cresswell or Downes).

We’re probably now not too far away from this 11, which is what Moyes will probably want when everybody is fit. That 11 includes all our summer signings except Cornet. Ings is also on the bench.

But it’s been a slow process, filtering players in slowly over time. Kehrer was thrown in quickly due to the injuries we had at CB at the start of the season (Johnson playing as a CB in a back four) & suffered for it (plus he was also played at CB & RB). Aguerd was injured from the start. Cornet picked up an injury by October. Emerson had a much more settled phase into the side & his form now is showing it. Scamacca also had a phased in period where it showed with his goal return, before some niggly injuries disrupted him. Paqueta came straight into the side but that put pressure on him to perform immediately. He was also moved around from a number 10 to a number 8. Ings has only just signed. Areola hasn’t yet done enough to displace Fab but that time will come given Fab’s age.
  • Dodger58 said:

Former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp would be open a return to management should Leeds United ask him to come out of retirement. (Mirror)

I can't imagine a meeting in 2023 regarding a new manager in which someone would say ' Harry Redknapp anyone?' Why on earth he is trying to tempt them? He looks to have a lovely retirement in Sandbanks with the occasional media work. It feels like a boxer not knowing when he has to let go.
  • It's all about the money.
  • It can’t be long before some lazy journo sees what Carrick is doing at Boro and makes the link to us.
    You just know it’ll happen.
  • Slacker said:

It can’t be long before some lazy journo sees what Carrick is doing at Boro and makes the link to us.

That's an out of the blue comment, do you know something we don't ??!!
  • Nah, only a small knowledge of how bored sports journos operate.
  • edited February 2023
    jay, This what Slacker has been saying on a few occasions -

Well after that set of results surely Moyes has got to go,and that must be Antonio’s last game, he was completely anonymous- again.

On that basis Moyes is going soon than later and Antonio is gone at the end of the season!
  • Slacker said:

It can’t be long before some lazy journo sees what Carrick is doing at Boro and makes the link to us.

We can only hope 😜
  • In fact in New Manager Rumour Bingo I bags Carrick.
  • Noble interim
    Before Rafa 😂
  • Slacker said:

In fact in New Manager Rumour Bingo I bags Carrick.

I see you getting them in for meltdown at FT.....!!!
  • OCS is rubbing his hands in anticipation

Alderz is updating his spreadsheet with win percentages on every manager that has been linked

And Ham, well Ham is just clowning around as usual
  • Ravel49 said:

OCS is rubbing his hands in anticipation

Alderz is updating his spreadsheet with win percentages on every manager that has been linked

And Ham, well Ham is just clowning around as usual

Yeold saying that it’s the worst managerial appointment in the history of managerial appointments ( whoever it is).

• 😂😂😂😂👏🏻
  • Hamstew said:

What teams mascot is that? Hahaha
  • Partick Thistle isn’t it? Designed by David Shrigley