Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• No
    But then again you don’t know if all the signings were his choice.
    Scam for instance does not suit his football.
    However if he was doing well he could be sold for a huge profit and that’s what I think the owners saw.
    Right now I can’t see a loss but sold for same sort of value that he was purchased for.
    Not convinced Emerson was either as he nearly joined 2 other teams before and all seemed very last minute.
  • IronHerb said:

No good focusing on the last game as there is nothing to be done to change it so you have to look to the next game. Pretty obvious I know but you can't change the past.

Problem being not just the last game, but the the last how many.........way too many poor results/performances.
  • So do Moyes and the players dwell on that, or look ahead?
  • edited February 2023
    @IronHerb, I don't think they are dwelling on the past results because if they were they would have found a solution or 2 to address the issues. Other managers have had the opportunity to say we hope to build on this good result in our next match but not David Moyes.
  • edited February 2023
    If we get relegated the "Rice money" isn't going to be much use as there won't be many top quality players willing to sign with a Championship club

And how many of the current squad will want to stay?

Scamacca, Aquerd, Kehrer, Emerson, Cornet, Areola, Zouma, Coufal, Bowen, Benrahma and Soucek joined because we are a top flight side with the possibility of European competition. I doubt if any of them would want to play in the second tier and probably have release clauses in their contracts should that happen

Add Cresswell, Fabianski and Ogbonna whose contracts expire at the end of the season and might be thinking of retiring along with Lanzini who looks set to leave on a free.

Plus Antonio who might want a transfer regardless of whether we get relegated or not
  • Should've gone before the window started, and should've gone during the window

Now we sit in a position whereby we have 15 games left but can't really sack him now, hence the position were in

Have some sympathy to the board, given how amazing Moyes has been I don't think they would've expected to be in this position so soon, hence why they may not be confident in firing him

I don't know if Moyes is going to turn it around, recent showings have me doubtful but what I know is this team is far far far too good to be in this position

Always said to my mate (biggest football fan I know) that I think Moyes is a dinosaur, but he's been done so well you can't help but be behind him

Now BOTH (and this point is important) the points and the performances have been far from good enough, if one of those were in a good state like we were paying well but not getting the points or vice versa I'd be more sympathetic but we've been dross basically since day 1 and it's only getting worse game by game
  • IronHerb said:

So do Moyes and the players dwell on that, or look ahead?

Your guess is as good as mine I suppose, but going on performances over the last year, I'd personally say they are struggling to get over these hugely poor performances, considering our results, but hey, if you feel that most weeks we are seeing improvement, then bully for you!!
  • I didn't say that though, so hey ho!!
  • Rice has been publicly critical of Moyes' tactics and that suggest to me that Moyes is losing the dressing room. Moyres needs to change formation and tactics. It is probably better to am to win. If we lose 3-0 that'ts OK as long as we win the next one. That is better than draw and lose sequence.

We need 20 more points from the next 15 games i.e. around 7 wins. Moyes record for the last year or so does not inspire confidence and I can't see how he is going to deliver 50% win ratio. Even a new manager would struggle to deliver that sort of win ratio, but it is worth trying as we have a decent squad.
  • Can you post a link to the article where Rice criticises Moyes' tactics. I'd be interested to read it as I must have missed it.
  • Pengeman said:

We need 20 more points from the next 15 games i.e. around 7 wins. Moyes record for the last year or so does not inspire confidence and I can't see how he is going to deliver 50% win ratio.

Personally I think 5 wins (with a couple of draws) would see us stay up comfortably, 4 wins and we'd probably be OK, and my slightly pessimistic set of results for the bottom 5 till the end of the season has us (currently) staying up with only 3 wins (and some draws, I'm not saying 29 points keeps us up) on goal difference.
  • https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/declan-rice-west-ham-moyes-29259478.amp

He said: “When you play with five at the back and the three, like we set up today, maybe our strikers felt a bit isolated when we got the ball up to them — they didn’t really have enough around them, not enough support.”
  • edited February 2023
    It was a very odd line-up, with the back five & the midfield 3 being the sort of players they were. I would’ve thought Fornals & Lanzini would have offered more in midfield & Benrahma playing up top with Bowen. Or even just Downes with Rice & then an extra attacking player, even Lanzini linking between midfield & the front two.

It basically gave Spurs the encouragement to be pretty comfy in possession & with their play, which meant they didn’t need to do anything to score two goals & win the game.
  • MrsGrey said:

Can you post a link to the article where Rice criticises Moyes' tactics. I'd be interested to read it as I must have missed it.

He was perhaps careful with his words, but he certainly didn’t praise Moyes’ tactics ⚒️
  • alderz said:

I just watched a YouTube video where a West Ham fan was advocating for either Harry Redknapp or Mark Noble to take over, and honestly I think that’s hilarious.

Rednapp AND Noble wouldn't be the worst. Mark could learn from the wily old fox and eventually take over.

P.s. I don't even like Redknapp (used to though when he managed us before) but I'd prefer him over Moyes
  • Lukerz Spurs were no more comfortable in possession than we were as neither side did much with it. They didn’t have to do much for their two goals because we did it for them by the defence parting like the Red Sea for the through ball for the first and Ogbonna jumping and nodding the ball down for Kane to slot in Son for the second.
    Apart from the two goals neither keeper really had to make a decent save.
  • MrsGrey said:

Can you post a link to the article where Rice criticises Moyes' tactics. I'd be interested to read it as I must have missed it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/declan-rice-west-ham-moyes-29259478
  • edited February 2023
    Guardian reckons the board haven't sacked Moyes due to a lack of suitable replacements with "doubts" over Rafa and Carlos Corberán just signed until 2027 at WBA.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/20/david-moyes-could-survive-sack-as-west-ham-struggle-to-find-replacement

Saints and Leeds are having a tough time attracting a new manager as I suspect most potential candidates want to wait to wait until the summer to see where they'd be managing next season. We'd probably have the same problem.
  • West Ham manager David Moyes is set to be sacked if his side, who are in the Premier League relegation zone, lose at home to Nottingham Forest on Saturday. (Times - subscription required)

Rafael Benitez is interested in replacing Moyes as West Ham boss. (Mail)
  • What happens then if we draw?
  • Then as Big Sam taught us all, we respect the point
  • Ravel49 said:

West Ham manager David Moyes is set to be sacked if his side, who are in the Premier League relegation zone, lose at home to Nottingham Forest on Saturday. (Times - subscription required)

The Mail article said that he wanted to "Build" a side and he wasn't interested in going to Leeds.
    He was interested in the West Ham job though but wanted a longer contract than eighteen months.
  • @mike, On that basis is someone going to suddenly become available in eighteen months? I know the answer is almost certainly no but it doesn't give any new manager confidence if you are only going to offer them a contract for a season and a half.
  • @mike, On that basis is someone going to suddenly become available in eighteen months? I know the answer is almost certainly no but it doesn't give any new manager confidence if you are only going to offer them a contract for a season and a half.

Do contracts really mean anything though? Nathan Jones signed for Southampton on a 3 and a half year deal and got sacked after 3 months, and one of those months was a pause for the World Cup.
  • mike said:

Ravel49 said:

West Ham manager David Moyes is set to be sacked if his side, who are in the Premier League relegation zone, lose at home to Nottingham Forest on Saturday. (Times - subscription required)

The Mail article said that he wanted to "Build" a side and he wasn't interested in going to Leeds.
    He was interested in the West Ham job though but wanted a longer contract than eighteen months.
    I can see his point though, how can you build a team in 18 months unless it’s Chelsea of course where you’ve got three weeks?
    I can also see the board’s view though, if they give a new manager say a three year contract and they sack him after a year they’ll have to negotiate the next two years worth of contract, and at the same time shelling out for a new manager.Also it’s not just one bloke is it, they always bring a bus load of coaches, medics and back room staff.

• @alderz, There is a lot to be said for month by month contracts but don't tell Mr Sullivan.
  • @alderz, There is a lot to be said for month by month contracts but don't tell Mr Sullivan.

Managers want security and so favour long-term contracts. I can't see fire and rehire on cheaper wages, or zero-hour contracts emerging in the football world.
  • I would imagine the board would not sack him without having discreetly sounded out a replacement first and I am not sure how many good fits would be available at present. An ideal situation would be to hope he can get us to safety and look for a replacement for next season so that we don't repeat this season.

It's not too late for Moyes to keep the job in my view but he really needs show he can produce now, which for me means to go on a run of results that doesn't leave us sweating in the last three matches and to make it to the final of the conference. If we carry our league form into the conference and end up fighting for survival to the last couple of matches then I think he has used up all his credit.

• https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64709743
    David Moyes: West Ham boss has full support of club's board

So that the kiss of death for Moyes. Whenever a board comes out in support, the manager is usually gone in a few weeks :p
  • edited February 2023
    So here is a scenario - We are safe with a few games to go & we reach the European Conference League final, even better we win it. Does David Moyes stay or do we say thank you & appoint a new manager?