Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• edited February 18
    Obviously there are managers out there who would love to manage in the Prem, championship, leagues 1 and 2 managers for a start. The point is people want a new manager with the credentials to play exciting successful football but nobody comes up with a feasible name, mostly those who’ve failed elsewhere.
    A top (ish) manager in Europe or wherever would not necessarily see us as a step up from what they’re doing.
    Latest rumour is Tuchel who is favoured by Steidten and was sacked by Chelsea and who now they want out at Bayern Munich.
  • alderz said:

That doesn't bode well for next season given the strong likelihood that Paqueta will be off.
    With Rice gone and no Paqueta there's no leadership and no creativity.
  • As good as Paqueta is .The rest of the team has gone backwards and with him being out for a few weeks ,How much better are we going to be
  • Obviously there are managers out there who would love to manage in the Prem, championship, leagues 1 and 2 managers for a start. The point is people want a new manager with the credentials to play exciting successful football but nobody comes up with a feasible name, mostly those who’ve failed elsewhere.
    A top (ish) manager in Europe or wherever would not necessarily see us as a step up from what they’re doing.
    Latest rumour is Tuchel who is favoured by Steidten and was sacked by Chelsea and who now they want out at Bayern Munich.

As long as he doesn't bring that Jinx Kane with him, eleven years on the trot Bayern have won the league, Kane comes along and works his magic and domestically they are now out of their FA cup, behind in the league and even managed to lose their charity shield 0-3, whilst in the Champions league they have a deficit to make up against Lazio in the second leg of the last 16. Next year he will probably go to City, just as they get their points deduction.
  • After 25 games last season we were 16th, W6 D5 L14 GF23 GA33 PT23

This season we're 9th, W10 D6 L9 GF36 GA44 PT36

Ain't context great!!!
  • Baz given that one of the top tips to take over is Cooper be careful what you wish for. I doubt there’s many top managers out there who see us as a top job. We all know we are a massive club in terms of support etc but we are unlikely to achieve champions league unless we win Europa at some point.
    Of the managers touted as possibles Potter is the top name but he couldn’t do much at Chelsea and may not even want the job. I don’t know if any club has tried to tempt him since he was sacked but you don’t hear much about him now.
    Financially we don’t have the clout to attract the level of player we need to be a regular top 4 or 6 club.

I'm not saying I want Cooper but he had a decent reputation and even when he was sacked at Forest their fans still liked him. It mustve been tough managing Forest when you had 5 new players every month... If they did appoint him I could think of worse managers
  • After 25 games last season we were 16th, W6 D5 L14 GF23 GA33 PT23

This season we're 9th, W10 D6 L9 GF36 GA44 PT36

Ain't context great!!!

But the results aren't the point of the Moyes In / Out debate.
  • IronHerb said:

Do you seriously believe there would be "Moyes Out" banners at matches if we'd drawn some of the games we've lost this year, won some of those we've drawn or only lost 1-0 to Arsenal?

Results are precisely why people are discussing Moyes's future
  • It's the combination of the results and the style of play imo. Obviously if results are continually bad, then there would be doubt over Moyes's future here, but we are still 9th in the PL atm so, imo, if we were playing decent football, and had been all season, then there'd be less immediate pressure on Moyes. The fact that we're playing such poor, one dimensional football and getting bad results recently is why so many are unhappy atm.
  • IronHerb said:

Do you seriously believe there would be "Moyes Out" banners at matches if we'd drawn some of the games we've lost this year, won some of those we've drawn or only lost 1-0 to Arsenal?

Results are precisely why people are discussing Moyes's future
    I think they would tbh. Results don't help of course, but there was a lot of dissatisfaction on the style of play before Christmas when we were picking up points.
  • edited February 19
    IronHerb said:

I think they would tbh. Results don't help of course, but there was a lot of dissatisfaction on the style of play before Christmas when we were picking up points.

Ahh yes I remember it well

"That was rubbish"
    "We just beat Arsenal 2-0 at the Emirates and we're 6th"
    "Yeah but it was dull, negative football"

Okay that was after Christmas but same applies to Spurs, Brighton, etc.
  • Cooper out.

Just getting in early.👍
  • edited February 20
    Slacker said:

Cooper out.

Just getting in early.👍

Oooh, look at you, all provocative. =)
  • edited February 20
    Slacker said:

Cooper out.

Just getting in early.👍

Oooh, look at you, all provocative. =)

So provocative, I posted it twice. ;)
  • BBC reporting that Moyes says he'd been offered a new contract

"I've had really good conversations with the owners, with David Sullivan and Karren Brady," he said.

"There's a contract there for me and I'm the one deciding I want to wait until the end of the season."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68384289
  • Well we need some wins other wise that contract could go missing
  • edited February 23
    On the positive side, at least there's less uncertainty rather than nobody knowing whats what.

On my side... Gutted he's been offered one and I dont see why he will not take it. Its not like Barcelona, Bayern or Liverpool will ask him to fill their vacancy
  • I wouldn't be surprised if he walked away from it as I think Moyes has great character, regardless of whether we are in favour of him as our manager or not. I think if there was a Moyes out campaign due to poor results between now and then he would walk away and rightly so. I think he embodies so many good traits as a man and I think that's why he keep the dressing room and has a lot of players respect. He is also not going to be short of Money after so many years in football.

I am always in the middle regard him staying in that I think he has done a good job but probably wont take us further than how we play and what we achieve. If they lined up someone who really wetted the appetite I would be happy to change, but I wouldn't blame the club for wanting keep him. Either way I feel he should be treated with the greatest of respect and I have no time for the Moyes out banners on match day.
  • edited February 24
    Moyes could walk away, but it’s a gamble for him. He knows he won’t get it as good as this again - in terms of club size, opportunity in Europe etc. He could quite easily never manage PL again. A huge risk unless he has plans to retire shortly.

He also has witnessed fan pressure already (Fulham away last year), so I am not sure that will decide his future.
  • I think I said it on here last year, If I were him I’d Jack it in. I know it’s really hard for football people to give it up, it’s like a drug to them but the grief that goes with that habit these days must take it’s toll.
    He’s a wealthy man, he’s very popular and respected in the game and could easily do the punditry stuff on the telly. I’d leave with my held held high but then I’m not an addict.
  • I'm not sure he'd fit into the punditry role as he's too honest.
  • I also have felt and stated that he should have stood down after Prague, he must have felt that after Man U and Sunderland that he had something left to offer and something to prove, at the end of last season he could reasonably claim to have achieved both of those goals.

Unfortunately I can only see more of a downside for him going forward than upside, but that is probably easier to say and see as we are not in the midst of everything.
  • IronHerb said:

I'm not sure he'd fit into the punditry role as he's too honest.

Got to disagree mate, he could be perfect for it.
    Not many pundits around who have his experience of the current game. Most are long retired ex players whereas he’s still right in amongst it.

• Slacker said:

IronHerb said:

I'm not sure he'd fit into the punditry role as he's too honest.

Got to disagree mate, he could be perfect for it.
    Not many pundits around who have his experience of the current game. Most are long retired ex players whereas he’s still right in amongst it.

I feel like it’ll end up moot, but for what it’s worth I think he’d not do much as a pundit. They are mostly personality driven these days and I think he tends to come off quite distant and doesn’t give much of himself publicly
  • alderz said:

I feel like it’ll end up moot, but for what it’s worth I think he’d not do much as a pundit. They are mostly personality driven these days and I think he tends to come off quite distant and doesn’t give much of himself publicly

Very astute, I think this is very accurate for regular pundits; it's all about them not what insight they can provide.

• Bit quiet on this thread this morning.
  • I think that reflects how puzzling the question of Moyes is. It seems ludicrous to look at last nights game in which we scored four great goals and defended well for the most part and even think about not wanting him to continue. Yet that Brentford team were better than a lot of the opposition we have offered little against and created barely a recognisable goal scoring opportunity.

My own view aside which is that I would be happy for him to leave with maximum appreciation if a really appetite wetting manager was available, and yet could completely understand the club offering a new contract, that aside I totally get why the Moyes out question is so hard to take a position on from one match to the other, we can look like a very well drilled talented squad capable of getting a result against anyone, and also a one dimensional, risk averse and restrained side that barely creates a meaningful chance, from match to match.

The evidence at present tends to point to Moyes not being the significant individual in all of that but rather Paquetta. Paquetta in I say!
  • Agreed, just a couple of matches, whether they are positive or negative, should not change the trajectory, and for me, I think the end of the season is the right time for him to stand down, I remain of the opinion that if it was me, I would have hoped that I would have had the courage and self awareness to stand down after Prague,

But that is easy for me to say.

If he is offered a new contract for a couple of years, I will obviously support him and I get it, as I still think he is a “safe pair of hands” I just do not think he can take us forward and I would not be thinking of him as the solution for the long term
  • Personally I don't see him as a safe pair of hands and I genuinely have major concerns for us over the next few seasons regardless of whether he stays or goes. We've got one of the smallest and oldest squads in the league, and although Sullivan is largely to blame, Moyes isn't innocent either. We've benefited hugely by having a home grown talent develop into a £100m player, but in a way that's just papered over the cracks.

I've banged on about players being kept too long and the huge amount of work that needs doing to the squad, so I won't repeat it here, but I think we're in for a rough ride in the next few seasons, and Moyes is definitely worthy of a significant amount of blame imo.
  • Moyes is also to blame for us being in Europe the past three years and winning a trophy last year. Moyes out!