Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• edited April 24
    Remember that bloke in Sweden(?) who didn’t have coaching badges but whose dad stood on The North Bank as a kid ?
    He was a shoe in surely?

Not forgetting Michael Carrick of course.
  • I would like to see Gary O’Neil as manager, he’s young and seems to be making an impression at Wolves. A former Hammer who at least knows the club.
  • Moyes has given us some success with pragmatic football.

I would love more expansive football and success. A mixture of Bilic and Moyes would do just nicely.
  • Not forgetting
    DJ Hammer said:

I would like to see Gary O’Neil as manager, he’s young and seems to be making an impression at Wolves. A former Hammer who at least knows the club.

The club that O’Neil played for bears no resemblance to the club today.

• Gossip says today that we've been in contact with Lopetegui for months. I hope the Amorim news is false. His style would be great!
  • I was hoping for an up and coming manager whose best days are in front of him, Lopetegui feels a bit like Pellagrini to me, he has worked at that top table briefly but his best days are behind him in all likelihood.

It feels like Amorim isn't going to come off and I wouldn't be against Kompany. I know it has not worked out this year but what he did to bring them out of the Championship after losing their best players after relegation and playing good football was very impressive. If Burnley go down I suspect he will leave, feeling even if he brings them up again he will not likely have the spending power to make an impact on their return again. We would offer him a better set of players and a reasonable pot to shape the team with, he may fancy it.
  • Sullivan loves a bargain, I can see him going for Benitez who is currently not working so no buy out fee. Completely wrong way to go, but I can see it happening.
  • Benitez is a manager who would actually make me prefer that Moyes stays!
  • Slacker said:

Not forgetting Michael Carrick of course.

Carrick's first full season as a manager, did well getting Boro to the League Cup semi although they got there by a pretty easy route, the toughest opposition was Huddersfield who are close to being relegated from the Championship.

It hasn't gone quite so well in the league, went seven games without a win at the start of the season then climbed to 9th but have never got any higher and will probably miss the playoffs
    DJ Hammer said:

I would like to see Gary O’Neil as manager, he’s young and seems to be making an impression at Wolves. A former Hammer who at least knows the club.

GON should get manager of the season for what he's accomplished at Wolves, especially as he got kicked out of Bournemouth by the new owner and Lopetegui quit cos he wasn't offered a big enough transfer budget

I wouldn't be against Kompany. I know it has not worked out this year but what he did to bring them out of the Championship after losing their best players after relegation and playing good football was very impressive.

Me neither

Kompany clearly is committed to playing his style of football but doesn't have the quality of players at Burnley to compete at a higher level. At West Ham he could
  • Slacker said:

Not forgetting

DJ Hammer said:

Well I would say that is pretty obvious, I was referring to the culture, etc of the club

• Don’t know much about Amorim but I think I’d rather Potter. I want a manager who would be here at least as long as Moyes has been. Potter hopefully has realised the level above is too much for him for now and could hopefully build something here. I think Amorim would come to us only as a stepping stone.
  • Potter can afford to be very choosy as he's currently on a very good wage from Chelsea still; I'm not sure I'd risk that to come and work under Sullivan.
  • DJ Hammer said:

Slacker said:

Not forgetting

DJ Hammer said:

Well I would say that is pretty obvious, I was referring to the culture, etc of the club

Which is totally different to when he played for us innit?

• Nobes and Nobby are still here.
  • edited April 25
    DJ Hammer said:

If we’re going for a younger up and coming manager if Moyes is to leave, I wouldn’t object to O’Neil….. for the little experience he’s had, with less quality players than Moyes has had, he’s done alright IMO… 👍🏻⚒️
  • I wonder if we couldn't kidnap Unai Emery and tell him him that he's suffering slight vision and hearing impairment but convince him that it really is Villa's claret and blue he can see. =)
  • To be fair, the guy who replaced O'Neill at Bournemouth has done a pretty good job too. I like the way Bournemouth attack (I'm not suggesting we play the exact same way). Its good to watch (and I'd like us to steal Solanke)
  • Even if Moyes stayed, there's a huge amount of work to be done to the squad in the summer, so I just hope whoever comes in is given time to try and sort things out. We finished 14th in the league last season, and might just scrape the top 10 this season (maybe 9th if we're lucky), and the squad is down to its bare bones, all under Moyes's tenure, so I'm genuinely not expecting too much next season especially as player recruitment may well be more difficult with no European games to offer.

Timmy needs to find some star player bargains with all the gaps we've got to fill.
  • From Baz
    "I'd like us to steal Solanke"

100% agree =)
  • It's always possible a new manager will bring out more from certain players through changing the way we play. I have always felt there is more to be had from Ings and one drawback to Moyes counter attacking reliance has been the struggle to get goals from strikers who are more used to being target men rather than runners.

• Julen Lopetegui banded about.

He has some pedigree, but bounces around from club to club a lot it seems

• edited April 27
    Removing Moyes for him would be a ridiculous decision.

Would be a complete sideways move.
  • I think managing Real Madrid, Sevilla and the Spanish National side seems a step up to me.
  • edited April 27
    For the record, I very much would want Moyes to continue.

There needs to be improvement, especially to us defensively. This year hasn’t been good enough. Way too many games we have shipped 4 or more goals.

But I think with another positive transfer window, we can improve again next year.
  • Lopetegui only lasted four months and 14 games at Real Madrid, hired in July, sacked in October, they were 9th when he left

Had three good seasons at Sevilla, finished 4th all three, won the Europa League in his first season, got through to Champions League round of 16 the next two seasons.

Fourth season the wheels fell off, 10 games, W1, D3, L6 and 17th when he was sacked
  • Has Pellegrini written all over him, best days behind him. We need a hungry to establish themselves in the top rank of managers and best days ahead of them.
  • Amorim has apologised to Sporting Lisbon fans for meeting West Ham: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cnkewd1z79xo

Couple of interesting things. Firstly, he doesn't really say he's staying or going (whether here or elsewhere), it seems he's only apologised on the basis of having the talks at all at this stage.

Secondly, it outright confirms (not that it was a secret) that we had talks with another manager while Moyes is still in the job. If I were him, I'd be off even if I were offered another contract.
  • I imagine Moyes was fully aware of that meeting, probably encouraged it until he makes up his mind.
  • Yes, surely there's no way we'd talk to another potential manager and not let our current one know (if only on the premise that the media would out us haha)
  • If I were him, I'd be off even if I were offered another contract.

He came back after Pellegrini so I'm not sure he'll be too bothered about us talking to other managers

The only time he left voluntarily was when he left Preston for Everton, Everton for Man Utd and when Sunderland were relegated

He's spent the last four and a bit years building a team the way he wants it, I don't see him walking away unless a better club makes him an offer