Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• Bazshuayi said:

We also lost Liverpool (ironically I used to hate them then haha) in the League Cup final and we losrt in the final

We didn't lose in the 1981 League Cup final, we were cheated, as we pretty much were in the FA Cup 2006 where they hassled us in the corner after we put the ball out for their "injured" player, resulting in a poor clearance and Gerrard's goal. 2 reasons, amongst others, I could never have the afinity you have for Liverpool.
    Bazshuayi said:

I cant lie and say I was never upset with the team in those days. But I can say I dont remember being bored by our play.

Must admit I never saw us play live regularly (we moved out to Essex when I was young) back then, whereas everyone can see all our matches these days from anywhere in the world; we may have been boring back then but not as many would have known about it. It was a different game then though, and, like you, I doubt we were boring even if we were rubbish at times 😂🤣😂.

I still dislike Sammy Lee immensely! Not that I hold a grudge
  • Supposed to meet a mate at the station at a certain time, somehow missed each other and I ended up going to that league cup final on my Jack jones.

We obviously didn’t have those new fangled mobile thingies in those days

Happy days
  • Slacker said:

Haven’t got a scooby mate.I’ll leave that to the “experts”.

That , I guess you mean ex players, commentators etc etc....
    That rules all of us out then I'm thinking...
    Oh yeah plenty of experts around.Social media’s got thousands of ‘em.

• Hope that result make our owners realise it's time for a change, Moyes can always be proud of his achievements with us, no one can take that from him, but NOW would be a great time to part ways.....IMO
  • Blimey, didn’t take long for this thread to get a bump.
  • Slacker said:

Blimey, didn’t take long for this thread to get a bump.

Pretty obvious, hey Slacker....
  • Slacker said:

Blimey, didn’t take long for this thread to get a bump.

And why not !!!!
  • I’ve said it before, but the longevity of our first handful of managers is one of the things I was always proud of as a fan of this club, so the idea of chopping and changing and not sticking with a manager who has ultimately been successful feels pretty far away from what I think the ideals of the club are. But, I am obviously not enjoying the football right now, and I had large spells last season where I also didn’t enjoy it. I think we played some really good stuff the year prior, and in the first half of this season, so I don’t think it’s a case of us being incapable, but we have been woeful recently.

I think there’s about a zero chance of him being sacked, so I’m not going to bother thinking about if I want that to happen or not. If you said to me that I would be guaranteed Graham Potter to take over I’d probably take it. If you told me it was Kieran McKenna or Michael Carrick, I’d be uneasy about it.

I still feel pretty on the fence.
  • I think there is a good chance Moyes will go soon.
  • The Brentford game one week from Monday might seal Moyes fate. Monday, 26th 20:00 kick off with all eyes on it. Considering how useless we have been against Brentford previously I think it might be curtains for Moyes after that game. He might get the Everton and Burnley games but if Brentford at home goes wrong I think his position will just be untenable. The fans in the stands will see him gone I think before a ball is kicked at Everton.
  • edited February 17
    Why would they sack him now?We’re not getting relegated, there’s still some fun to have in Europe and his contract is up in a few months.
    Also I don’t get this “ if he loses this or that game” he’s gone, meaning he’s not good enough, what if we win that and the next one is he good enough again?
  • We should not sack him, he simply does not deserve that level of disrespect, especially given his contract is up at the end of the season.

There is no real downside, we are not going down, we have no realistic chance of qualifying for Europe through the league, so as Slacker says, let’s have a bit of fun in the last 16.

DM knows the score, I would take him to one side and tell him now that we are looking towards the future and if he is treated with respect he could still be a valuable resource as we navigate the transition.

I know myself as I look towards retirement that I want to do so knowing that I am leaving the team in a good place and that I have played an active role in ensuring the transition is as seamless as possible.

• edited February 17

We should not sack him, he simply does not deserve that level of disrespect, especially given his contract is up at the end of the season.

There is no real downside, we are not going down, we have no realistic chance of qualifying for Europe through the league, so as Slacker says, let’s have a bit of fun in the last 16.

DM knows the score, I would take him to one side and tell him now that we are looking towards the future and if he is treated with respect he could still be a valuable resource as we navigate the transition.

I know myself as I look towards retirement that I want to do so knowing that I am leaving the team in a good place and that I have played an active role in ensuring the transition is as seamless as possible.

The amount of times I have read Chicago's posts and wondered if he is Jurgan Kloop, it seems he has just inadvertently confirmed my suspicions.
  • The football is sooooo boring though
  • We should not sack him, he simply does not deserve that level of disrespect, especially given his contract is up at the end of the season.

Whilst I agree with the first bit, there is potentially a huge downside if we're not going to renew his contract and we don't at least contract someone to take over.

The Euros are on this summer, and don't finish until 14th July. The Premier League starts on 17th August (who on earth sanctions this sort of a football calendar?). We've currently got a squad, excluding Phillips, Benrahma (unlikely he'll be back), Kehrer (unlikely he'll be back) but including Downes, of 22 if we also include Mubama.

Question marks must be raised against:

Cresswell - surely he finally goes
    Ogbonna - likewise
    Fabianski - should definitely go imo although I can see him staying
    Antonio - likewise
    Johnson - out of contract and hasn't signed the one he's been offered
    Mubama - likewise
    Zouma - doesn't look like he'll get through this season, let alone next season
    Aguerd - doesn't seem to suit us as well as a player with his price tag should
    Ings - should never have been signed, should be offloaded if at all possible
    Cornet - is there still a PL footballer in there?
    Paqueta - likely woulda gone in the summer without the investigation
    Kudus - seems likely he views us as a stepping stone, if we carry on with this form I can see him wanting out, and I suspect he'll have suitors.
    Downes - seems to suit the Championship, it's yet to be proven that he's up to the PL

13 out of 22 players with a question mark over them. However you look at it, there's a huge amount of work to be done in the summer, especially as the current season doesn't finish until pre-season for next season has started. If we're changing managers, we need someone in (whether up front or behind the scenes) before this PL season is over if we're not going to be in a real mess next season imo.
  • I wish I found the current state of our squad a laughing matter Thornbury 😭😭😭.
  • I don't think we'll sack Moyes this season, even if we barely win again and end up near the relegation zone (for the record, I expect we'll finish somewhere around 10th).

But I am leaning towards a change at the end of the season, provided some real thought goes into the replacement - which admittedly would be a real worry with Sullivan.

Even forgetting our form, it’s not right that teams like Forest are better and braver on the ball than us. Almost everybody in the league is, honestly. What I’m finding with Moyes is that I’m bored and disaffected a lot of the time, and even a lot of the wins are less enjoyable than they should be IMO.
  • I don’t remember hitting the button. I was just rolling the screen up on my iPad to read the rest of your post.
  • I don’t remember hitting the button. I was just rolling the screen up on my iPad to read the rest of your post.

Ah, ok 👍.
  • edited February 17
    Like anything in football, you’re only 5 games away from disaster/immortality. Looks like we’ve hit the former.

The last time Kudus, Bowen & Paqueta all started a game together - away at Arsenal - we won 2-0, which was our last victory. It’s no surprise that we haven’t picked up 3 points since. That’s the basis of our poor form. The front three aren’t bailing us out with moments of individual brilliance.

It’s tricky to know how to immediately go about changing the fortunes (beyond waiting for Paqueta to be fit) with what we have, as we almost have a fully fit squad & lots of these players have been reliable performers for us over the last few years. A month ago we were knocking on the door to the top five. The reality is, we haven’t played well for a long while & there are reasons for that. January was a mess of a month - injuries to Paqueta & Bowen, Kudus & Aguerd off & players let go from the squad. What I suggest we do to start with is take Phillips out of the starting 11, get Kudus back on the right & drop Aguerd.
  • There is a case for missing Paquetta being the problem. The form we are in at present is the same form for the first two thirds of last season, a time when Paquetta had not really had much of an effect other than the odd game here and there. He found his feet in the last third, in time to steer us clear of relegation and help with the cup.

What is most depressing recently is how few chances we create, Bowen and Kudus are very high quality but they have no service at present. It may be that we find our form again once Paquetta returns. I am very relived we have points in the bag as we are looking as poor as any team in the league at present.
  • Come end of the season he needs to leave

See no point sacking him while we're in Europe, he does his best there

But its dire. Honestly while the ECL nights last year were magical with us getting the win, I just hate the way we play football, have now for over 2 years.

Don't enjoy actually wanting to watch us play, more just concerned whether we get the points because feels like I waste 90 minutes (or more) a weekend watching us play

Kinda miss just watching us play anything close to exciting football, even if it's to the detriment of the wins

We seem to have no plan, just hope for a moment of quality from Paqueta, Bowen and Kudus

Thin your squad is horribly mismanaged in terms of the size, the average age and the contract status

Moyes has been one of our greatest managers, and Prague wont be forgotten, but it's time to change up

• The amount of times I have read Chicago's posts and wondered if he is Jurgan Kloop, it seems he has just inadvertently confirmed my suspicions.

Rumbled 😀
  • I wondered why I liked Chicago so much! :)
  • Ok, I'm not saying this out of any disrespect to Moyes. More so I guess being on the ruthless get what I want type of deal...

Whilst we are still in Europe, I see it as an attractive thing for a potential manager to come to us. Take over the side prior to it or in proximity. It could be a draw to try to take a team through the stages of the cup (although Liverpool have a more than good chance of winning it for obvious reasons and we'd need to avoid them and hope someone upsets them. Actually same with Brighton and some other teams haha)

If we went to Potter now maybe that would be a carrot plus a chance to shape the team/squad prior to preseason and have the summer window maybe to tinker with the squad.

Yes its harsh on Moyes but I also think West Ham will be around long after moyes has retired and th club will come before any player or manager (apart from Klopp of course)

Short version, check whether Potter want it and is up for it. If not, I'll be very curious as to what manager the club will have their eye on if they dont give Moyes a new deal (if they are going to, they should do it now so everyone knows where they stad in terms of the management staff)
  • Come end of the season he needs to leave

See no point sacking him while we're in Europe, he does his best there

But its dire. Honestly while the ECL nights last year were magical with us getting the win, I just hate the way we play football, have now for over 2 years.

Don't enjoy actually wanting to watch us play, more just concerned whether we get the points because feels like I waste 90 minutes (or more) a weekend watching us play

Kinda miss just watching us play anything close to exciting football, even if it's to the detriment of the wins

We seem to have no plan, just hope for a moment of quality from Paqueta, Bowen and Kudus

Thin your squad is horribly mismanaged in terms of the size, the average age and the contract status

Moyes has been one of our greatest managers, and Prague wont be forgotten, but it's time to change up

IMO What a perfect and true comment, couldn’t have wrote it better myself 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • It really is that simple. 👍
  • Baz given that one of the top tips to take over is Cooper be careful what you wish for. I doubt there’s many top managers out there who see us as a top job. We all know we are a massive club in terms of support etc but we are unlikely to achieve champions league unless we win Europa at some point.
    Of the managers touted as possibles Potter is the top name but he couldn’t do much at Chelsea and may not even want the job. I don’t know if any club has tried to tempt him since he was sacked but you don’t hear much about him now.
    Financially we don’t have the clout to attract the level of player we need to be a regular top 4 or 6 club.
  • What's all this top 4/6 stuff? So there are no decent managers out there who want to manage in the Prem? Give over.