Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• edited February 14
    It may have been a bit more prestigious but it only had half the games to play.
    There was a lot more clamouring for Greenwood to go than Moyes and I remember standing on the station at Blackburn after we’d been thrashed and fans accosting him on the platform, we all travelled on the same train in those days. He called one of them a lout which didn’t endear him to the fans.
  • MIAHammer said:

You seem to have forgotten the European Cup Winners Cup which in my opinion was more prestigious than the European Conference League.

Oh absolutely, we won a trophy in our first ever European competition and the following season we were knocked out in the semis by the eventual winners, Borussia Dortmund

But

Our domestic form wasn't that great
  • It's just how much you like a gamble I guess. Safest option stick with Moyes or gamble on someone to take a promising squad, or at least first eleven, a little further and build on it with better football that creates more chances.

If you wanted to be really cold about it and reduce football to spending power I would guess we are over achieving a little at present. Possibly because we had a world class player during that period that we didn't have to spend anything on. We could continue the momentum that gave us because we appear to have spent the profit from him pretty well at this point.
  • My guess is Moyes will will remain till the end of the season. If we do well in Europe again, that will be fantastic. We do however need a better style of play.
    I think Potter is the man.
  • Not wanting to come across as ageist, but probably managing to do so, for me, DM is pretty set in his ways and can only have a limited runway ahead of him as a manager at this level, if we are only looking for a “safe pair of hands” for another year or two, then DM is a reasonable choice.

However, imo, if you are looking longer term, I think the time is right to bring in a new face, I think the team needs a significant refresh and I would like to see someone brought in with fresher tactical ideas and the leeway to reshape the team for the future.

I think that Potter would be a good shout, I am surprised that he has not resurfaced thus far, maybe he doesn’t want to or feel the need to, but I would be knocking on his door.

DMs record is one he can be proud of and he can leave with his head held high, but as I have said before, imo his race is run.
  • Given that according to various media Cooper is one of the favourites for the job I’d much rather stick with Moyes.
    Most managers are replaced by someone out of a job and for the most part they are in that situation for a reason.
  • If Cooper is our next manager I will be rather unhappy, dare I say it angry.
  • NO not Cooper .However one or two reports we could be interested in the young Ipswich guy .Don't know much about him does anyone on here
  • Roy might be available soon.
    😜
  • Hmm I wonder if Palace are lining up Potter to replace Roy.
  • Oliver Glasner is favourite to be the next palace manager.
  • edited February 15

Hmm I wonder if Palace are lining up Potter to replace Roy.

Potter was at the Emirates when Palace lost to Arsenal last month which started w whole load of speculation that he was going to replace Roy but since then he's been linked with AC Milan if Conte doesn't fancy it
  • If our transfer dealings are anything to go by, we will wait until the end of the season to get rid of Moyes and then start next season with a caretaker manager with the excuse "we tried to get Pep and Xabi Alaonso but they turned us down. We tried our best though."
  • I'm not sure why Greenwoods era was spotlighted and facts detailed. However, When John Lyall took over our play was not radically different and all of a sudden in '75 we were cup winners. We also lost Liverpool (ironically I used to hate them then haha) in the League Cup final and we losrt in the final of the Cup Winners Cup too in a small space time wise. Allied to that we also had our highest league finish under Lyall (and if we hadnt had to play so many games toward the end of the season then we could've won the league in 86).

At the end of the day we can all detail things such as this and say how great it was. In truth, we had relative success on a fairly regular basis under Lyall. We also got thumped plenty and finished bottom half of the league lots and got relegated (in those days relegation although upsetting, wasnt that bad as we always did well in the old first division and never had to wholesale sell off the team because of how finances were then).

I cant lie and say I was never upset with the team in those days. But I can say I dont remember being bored by our play.
  • Former Brighton and Chelsea boss Graham Potter is a candidate to replace David Moyes if he leaves West Ham at the end of the season. (Telegraph - subscription required)

There's the Potter link a few of us hope for or expected. I doubt there's much truth in it but I would say that if we do want him that we should offer him a contract for next season (and allow him to have a bit of a headstart in terms of planning etc) now. Not at the end of the season.
  • Is that the Graham Potter whose teams couldn't score goals?

Or a different one?

Or is my memory playing tricks on me, again?

I'll go get some facts...
  • Well I guess unless we buy his Brighton team then we won't know if he will have the same non scoring affect on us :) I figure if you play in an entertaining, attack minded way then its down to the club to buy or play attackers that can put those chances in the net. I'm not saying it has to be Potter but I definitely wouldnt mind him being given a chance to shape the way we play
  • Fair enough.
    But Chelsea didn't score much either?

I suppose we can look at the teams he inherited from other managers ( and looking forward, if subsequent managers after he got the sack) to see if he was able to match or increase the number of goals the same ( ish) players scored.

• In some ways Potter is similar to Moyes in that he did a great job with Brighton and got the chance of a top six side but it didn't last long. Brighton have kept up their form since he left when I think many thought they may struggle. They and Brentford are the real success stories of the last few seasons.
  • Some interesting insights in that report that felt about right………unfortunately
  • edited February 16
    Bazshuayi said:

We also lost Liverpool (ironically I used to hate them then haha) in the League Cup final and we losrt in the final

We didn't lose in the 1981 League Cup final, we were cheated, as we pretty much were in the FA Cup 2006 where they hassled us in the corner after we put the ball out for their "injured" player, resulting in a poor clearance and Gerrard's goal. 2 reasons, amongst others, I could never have the afinity you have for Liverpool.
    Bazshuayi said:

I cant lie and say I was never upset with the team in those days. But I can say I dont remember being bored by our play.

Must admit I never saw us play live regularly (we moved out to Essex when I was young) back then, whereas everyone can see all our matches these days from anywhere in the world; we may have been boring back then but not as many would have known about it. It was a different game then though, and, like you, I doubt we were boring even if we were rubbish at times 😂🤣😂.

• If Moyes was to leave at the end of the season I personally wouldn’t mind giving Gary O’Neill a chance, was unlucky to lose his 1st job and doing better than expected at his current club, has the knowledge of West Ham etc etc, if we’re looking at younger managers?….⚒️⚒️
  • The Athletic released an article yesterday where they surveyed around 3,000 West Ham fans. The overall gist was that people hate the style of play (only 10% 'happy'), most think he doesn't get the best out of the team, 75% don't think he deserves a new contract, and 13% 'don't know'. Timing of this is obviously important, because I think results would have been quite different in December.

FWIW, I've long said that Potter would be my ideal next West Ham manager. I get what MrsGrey is saying about the lack of goals scored, but I've always found it interested that Brighton consistently underperformed against their xG with Potter in charge, whilst we tend to score a good amount of low xG chances. I wonder if you put our clinical forwards (Bowen, Kudus, in particular) into a Potter team whether they would score tonnes.

For those of you interested in Potter, there's a really good write up about his Brighton tactics here:

https://analyticsfc.co.uk/blog/2022/09/20/data-in-context-how-did-graham-potters-brighton-achieve-a-big-six-style-of-play-with-a-bottom-six-budget/

• edited February 16
    Potter walked into a mess at Chelsea mid-season and wasn't given enough time to sort it out. Poch is supposedly one of the best managers in the world and had the pre-season to prepare but hasn't done much better than Potter

Potter P31 W12 D8 L11
    Poch was P31 W14 D6 L11. now P33 W16 D6 L11

However Potter has been linked with Palace should they ditch Hodgson, has been touted as a replacement for Ten Hag and even linked with AC Milan although Conte is supposedly favourite to replace Pioli
  • What about that bloke in Sweden(?) who’s dad supported West Ham when he was 10?
    With that sort of club connection he must be a shoe in.
  • Will Will Still still be considered? (Sorry, copied from X) 😁
  • edited February 16
    Slacker said:

What about that bloke in Sweden(?) who’s dad supported West Ham when he was 10?
    With that sort of club connection he must be a shoe in.

So Slacker, if and when Moyes decides to leave, or WHUFC decide he's had his day with us, who would you like to see replace him?
  • edited February 16
    Haven’t got a scooby mate.I’ll leave that to the “experts”.
  • Slacker said:

Haven’t got a scooby mate.I’ll leave that to the “experts”.

That , I guess you mean ex players, commentators etc etc....
    That rules all of us out then I'm thinking...