Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• I would be happy for him to stay and yet not disappointed if he decided to leave. The real question would be who would we want and could we get them, as the question isn't really about just his leaving, but who would we like to replace him?

I think Kompany will leave Burnley if they are relegated and would still be in demand despite relegation. He did a wonderful job with Burnley last season in taking a relegated team that had all their best players picked off, and Cornet. Yet he took them into being a team above any other in that league and played decent football in getting there. Things haven't gone as planned this season but I think he will make use of the experience and come back again.

He is a great leader and very respected during his time as captain of City. So perhaps a dream team would be Moyes to stay on and Kompany to come in alongside for a hand over.
  • I would be ok with that,

I am also generally curious as to why Potter has not been snapped up, I can only assume that he is holding out for a particular role, or maybe he does not wish to come back at all, i find it hard to believe that he has not been approached by someone.
  • Out of Kompany and Garry O'Neill .rather take O'Neill .Kampany has been found out this season .O'Neill did a good job last season at B,mouth and an even better one this season at Wolves .and of course he has the West Ham history .But looks like Moyes is staying and that I guess is okay
  • I would be ok with that,

I am also generally curious as to why Potter has not been snapped up, I can only assume that he is holding out for a particular role, or maybe he does not wish to come back at all, i find it hard to believe that he has not been approached by someone.

There is a chance Potter may be getting paid by Chelsea still as he had a contract, when they take a new job that contract settlement becomes less balanced in their favour. So he maybe is awaiting a top offer rather than just an offer. Whether that offer comes or not is another thing.

• From what Moyes has said recently its pretty clear he wants another contract with no suggestion that he is thinking about a move upstairs or be ready to leave the club voluntarily.

If he isn't offered a new contract it could create a very uncomfortable atmosphere around the club for him, the board, the coaching staff and the players,

Halfway through BFS's last season we were 4th, W9 D4 L6, after that W3 D7 L9 and finished 12th. Uncertainty is not good for a football club.

After BFS it took us five seasons with first Bilic then Pellegrini before we landed Moyes and actually made some progress.

When I look at Liverpool, Man City or Arsenal, then at Chelsea or Man Utd I'm not sure change is such a good thing
  • There is plenty of speculation on here, as there should be and in the wider fan base about Moyes future at the club. But worth remembering that in the small inner circle of those that will decide, the directors, shareholders who have considerable amounts of money tided up in the fortunes of West Ham it would have been an open and shut case. The uncertainty caused by chancing a change at the top would have been quickly dismissed. Moyes has made it clear he is happy here and I expect Sullivan and the board will be pushing to get the new contact signed as soon as they can.
  • There is clearly far less risk attached to keeping him. I imagine the club wanted to see if he was able to leave behind last seasons league form and he has. It's hard to argue he has not earned an extension as he couldn't really have achieved much more in his time here.

It seems clear that last seasons form had an explanation also in that we were a counter attacking side and then thought we could become more of a possession side, it lead to some poor results but we have gone back to counter attacking and we have results again.

As I have said before his greatest achievement is the cohesion and attitude of the team, he seems really good on team togetherness.
  • One thing I'm getting quite bored of seeing is various pundits/journalists saying they don't 'understand' why any fans would want Moyes to leave. Rio was at it earlier and he's one of many.

I'm mostly Moyes in and have been throughout his tenure, but I can still understand why some fans aren't happy. And pundits constantly saying the fans are being unreasonable in their expectations is quite frustrating, given they don't watch every single game and don't actually support West Ham.

And to say they don't understand why the football, at times quite poor, is making some fans want a change of manager is just wilful ignorance and quite grating IMO.
  • What's everybody thinking now
  • steve said:

What's everybody thinking now

The same as I've said before, he shouldn't have his contract renewed at the end of the season.
  • Repeatedly not buying the players we need. I've backed him, but now his time is up. Having not bought the right players, and losing two, we are very light weight. Moyes out!!
  • Stay till the end of the season and then bring in someone new. The problem is I'm not sure if the powers that be will get the right person in. Before anyone asks, I don't know who the right person is.
  • If and I say if they don't renew his contract .Then he should go now Give the new guy whoever that is perhaps Potter the rest of the season to see the players play and who he wants ,why wait until the end of the season
  • steve said:

If and I say if they don't renew his contract .Then he should go now Give the new guy whoever that is perhaps Potter the rest of the season to see the players play and who he wants ,why wait until the end of the season

I can see a lot of merit to this; even if Moyes isn't sacked then employ the new manager (even if non-publicly) so that he can be running the rule over the squad in what remains of this season.

I still maintain that a huge amount of work needs to be done in the summer window, and we can't afford to spend half the summer waiting for a new manager to come in and him then having to see what remains of our squad to try and see who he wants brought in.

• edited February 11
    I don't think Moyes is going to leave of his own accord and I don't believe the board is going to sack him.

We're through to the last 16 of the Europa League and 8th on 36pts

Last season after 24 games we were 16th on 23pts, if they didn't sack him then I don't see why they would sack him now.

As for agreeing a deal now with a new manager to take over in the summer the last time we did that it was Pellegrini
  • And the time before that was Avram Grant.
  • Read any interesting article the other day about football finances and success/ failure in the game.The authors had studied the subject and number crunched for two years.
    The biggest influence on success ( surprise surprise) was player’s wages, i.e top players earn the best contracts.
    Managers input was on average 10%.
  • Moyes OUT
    Just back from the game and we set up a team not to win but just not to lose.
    Brighton and Bournemouth we got away with it but today was embarrassing.25% possession.
    You are 6-0 nil down and you bring on a defender in Aaron Cresswell.Work that one out?
    We are playing dull dull football and it's time for Mr Moyes to say goodbye.
  • Too many more of those games like today & it won’t be a debate, sadly.
  • 6-0 down it makes absolutely no difference who you bring on.

It's a wider managerial decision at that point. Do you want to give someone a rest? Get minutes into someone's legs?
  • MrsGrey said:

6-0 down it makes absolutely no difference who you bring on.

It's a wider managerial decision at that point. Do you want to give someone a rest? Get minutes into someone's legs?

True, but I'd much rather see Cornet, who's still trying to get back to full match fitness after a long time out, come on than Cresswell tbh.

• This season

Facts... (the negatives)

We have been beaten 5-0 by Fulham and 6-0 by Arsenal this season.

We have been put out of the FA Cup by a mid-table Championship team.. Over two games in effect.

We haven't won in 2024.

In our last two games we have lost 9-0.

We only had 2 players injured over these last two games.

Jan transfer window left us short again.

Our style of football is dull at the moment.

Moyes gave us a great season last year, but the facts don't help.
  • @EXETERHAMMER
    Our style of football is dull at the moment.....under Moyes that's not going to change any moment soon.
    Moyes gave us a great season last year.....The cup win saved him because we were terrible in the Premier league .
  • This season

Facts... (the negatives)

We have been put out of the FA Cup by a mid-table Championship team.. Over two games in effect.

We haven't won in 2024.

Are you going to do a positives list too?
  • alderz said:

This season

Facts... (the negatives)

We haven't won in 2024.

Are you going to do a positives list too?
    Antonio is back on the grass hahaha
  • edited February 12
    This season

Facts…the positives

In the league we are the only team to win at the Emirates, one of three teams to win at Spurs (Villa, Chelsea) and we won at Brighton for the first time since 2011

We're still above Chelsea,

Before the last two games we had the 6th lowest Goals Against

We lost 9-0 over the last two games to Man Utd and Arsenal, In December Newcastle lost 7-1 to Everton, Forest and Luton. Chelsea have lost to Wolves twice.

We got the quarters of the League Cup beating Arsenal on the way and losing to Liverpool

We are through to the last 16 of the Europa League

Summer transfer window was excellent; Alvarez, JWP, Kudus and Mavropanos.

January transfer window was quiet for everyone, Fornals and Benrahma were hardly putting in stellar performances when they did play

The only great thing about last season was that we won the Europa Conference otherwise we finished 14th, just 6 points clear of relegation, and got dumped out of the League Cup by a Championship club,

Our style of football is dull at the moment but we have been excellent at times
  • So the facts are in.

Dull football is the common theme. It gets me down
  • edited February 12
    I think the reality is, after the disappointment of last season, what did we expect to happen this year? We sold our best player for over £100m & we can all see how good he is - only have to watch the highlights from yesterday.

We finished 14th last season. We have the same back five, the same CM, the same RW & the same AM. We’ve added three players in Kudus, JWP, Alvarez to our first 11, one of those was relegated last season & two have never played in England. Is that sufficient to continue to push for the top five? Is that enough to go from 14th to top 6 in less than 12 months? I personally think being 8th in February, challenging the second tier group of clubs, is a very good achievement having lost our best player & finished 14th last year with a similar squad. Coufal, Zouma, Aguerd, Emerson, Soucek, Paqueta, Bowen all regularly got games last season. Yet we have clearly improved our league performances given the highest we ever were last year was 10th & we battled relegation for large portions of it.

There is no excuse for losing 6-0 at home. No excuse at all, no matter the opponent. We were appalling yesterday. But I do think some sense of reality is required. We have had a fairly good 24 games. Yes, one or two heavy beatings (5-0, 6-0, 4-1) but the majority of our 24 games have been pretty good given last seasons performance. We’ve had a sticky start to 2024, teams have patches in any season like this.

We also have that trophy in the back pocket & nobody will take that away from us. Moyes is suffering from raised expectations. The irony is, he’s the one responsible for raising them.
  • Most of what you say Lukerz is right but the main issue around Moyes is the style of football which is contrary to the vast majority of the other teams in the Prem. And it is this which is causing the split in the fanbase.
  • The vast majority of other teams is below us so I’m not sure what is best.