January Sales

Comments

• Moyes was pretty specific about the injury, saying it was three weeks of injections in his knee. I’d have thought that if he wasn’t actually injured it would be a lot more vague than that.
  • Guardian reporting that Rice is leaning towards Arsenal because he wants CL football and wants to play for Arteta because he feels Arteta can take him to the next level.
    He’s an England international and I’m not sure what the next level is.
  • alderz said:

Moyes was pretty specific about the injury, saying it was three weeks of injections in his knee. I’d have thought that if he wasn’t actually injured it would be a lot more vague than that.

If that's the case, it's possible he's returned to Italy to see friends or family (not much of a story) and suddenly he's angling for a move (a bust up with Moyes makes for a headline).

The fact that he has different attributes to Antonio is a bit of a concern, but if we can be more solid at the back then the wide forward players should be able to start further forward, be closer to him, and get beyond him more often, making more of his touch and lessening the impact his lack of "bullying" (compared to Antonio) has.
  • Massive IF we do let Scamacca leave so very soon after he arrived it should bring into question what David Moyes is actually doing to a few of his signings to make them want to depart so quickly?
  • alderz said:

Moyes was pretty specific about the injury, saying it was three weeks of injections in his knee. I’d have thought that if he wasn’t actually injured it would be a lot more vague than that.

I guess the two things aren't mutually exclusive. He could be injured, and also angling for a move away. He's never looked particularly happy here, and I can't imagine he's enjoying the in-out nature of his first six months at the club, nor the style of play.

Just get the feeling that Ings will be much more suited to club and like others I wouldn't be massively surprised to see him back in Italy in the summer.
  • If he can remain injury free, I reckon that Ings just may turn out to be one of our best signing for literally ages.

Up there with Dawson 😉
  • OCS - true, but I’m sure the rumour was that he wasn’t actually injured (though I may be misremembering).

Moyes was on a podcast last week and in it im he went into detail about how he is in charge of transfers, and that we only sign players that he wants. If that’s the case, then presumably he chose Scamacca. It may not work, he may not know how to use him, but I do think he wanted him, and I think he wants him still
  • After the sale of Dawson, who would be your ‘bargain, value for money’ West Ham 11? Of your era as a fan? Let’s say under £5m transfer fee.

I’d go

Green
    Coufal - Dawson - Collins - Joey O’Brien
    Benayoun - Nolan - Amalfitano - Vaz Te
    Sakho - C.Cole
  • edited January 2023
    Lukerz said:

After the sale of Dawson, who would be your ‘bargain, value for money’ West Ham 11? Of your era as a fan? Let’s say under £5m transfer fee.

I’d go

Green
    Coufal - Dawson - Collins - Joey O’Brien
    Benayoun - Nolan - Amalfitano - Vaz Te
    Sakho - C.Cole

Really tough to limit it to a transfer fee value given the ridiculous inflation of fees; £5m wasn't topped as a British transfer fee until 1991 (well within my era as a supporter, and I think there are some a good bit older than me here).
  • edited January 2023
    I think Alan Devonshire (before your time Lukerz?) has to be included in any West Ham bargain team though, through any era.
  • And a certain W Bonds, he was alright.
  • Slacker said:

And a certain W Bonds, he was alright.

Was £50,000 a bargain in 1967? The British record fee at the time was £115,000 so I don't think he really should be classed as one tbh, although obviously well within the figure given by Lukerz (kinda the point I was making about the inflation of transfer fees).

Julian Dicks is a contender though I woulda thought.
  • Tbf to Luke he did say of your era
    So he has used his 👍🏻
  • Johnny Byrne @ 65 grand ?
  • Phil Parkes at £600 k?

I could go on ……
  • But my era is forever. 😬
  • Joe Cole?
    Harry bought his old man a cab.
    Bargain.
  • Slacker said:

Phil Parkes at £600 k?

I could go on ……

Again, nowhere near a bargain at the time, was the biggest fee paid for a keeper at that time I think.
  • Vic Keeble at £11k. Phil Woosnam £34k for starters.
  • edited January 2023
    Come on then you lot
    Last of the summer wine then it’s bed time 👴🏻
  • Paolo Di Canio at 2.23m.
    For me, outstanding value. Such memories.
  • edited January 2023

Slacker said:

Phil Parkes at £600 k?

I could go on ……

Again, nowhere near a bargain at the time, was the biggest fee paid for a keeper at that time I think.
    Oh “ at the time”, why didn’t you say?😂

Nobody told me I had to be serious.😉
  • Alan Taylor, £40k won us the cup.
  • Marlene... Didnt win us any cups but I always liked him
  • Teddy Sheringham, on a free.
  • Dawson was worth his place simply for his thousand-yard stare. Then add his blocking and torpedo headers at corners, and you have one of our top bargain buys ever. One of my all-time favourites.
  • IronHerb said:
    Oh that is so good.
    Bravo Clips.👏👏👏

• From talksport
    In the Gsb era, Danny Ings is the clubs 53rd striker.. 22 of those never scored for West Ham 🤯
This discussion has been closed.