January Sales

18910111214»

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

I think, though (not disagreeing with much of what you've said) that the 'top 6' clubs probably get the pick of the youngsters. So it's not quite a level playing field in terms of youngster development. Plus they are regularly in more comps, and/or go further in competitions. So more opportunities to play, and put out the kids when the first leg (or group stage) is in the bag. kind of thing.

Sure but I think there is also a need for a lot of managers to be better at taking these risks or being assured by owners that they can. One player integrated at a time is often not that detrimental. We’ve certainly carried senior players who offered little for long periods of time before.

Also an interesting point made by a friend who does academy coaching at Arsenal is that actually West Ham are quite attractive to parents because we have one of the highest rates of players who become professional and for many parents any level of professional is important. Of course the best are hoovered up by Chelsea and others but I’d like to see a manager commit more to trying to use our young players to at least build up our squad. I don’t think we’ve been very successful at transfers for a long time and would rather something more sustainable.
  • When I did the stadium tour with Carlton Cole he said that one of the main parts of his job is to get the boys playing professional football regardless of where it is. Obviously the club want them at West Ham and there are always a few standout players throughout the different age groups, but most are just making up the numbers and it was nice to hear the club looking out for all of them.
  • Whilst I understood the Dawson wanted to leave due to travelling and he has been a good servant argument, I thought on a footballing level it was crazy to let him go. If Zouma is out we really could do with him.
  • Whilst I understood the Dawson wanted to leave due to travelling and he has been a good servant argument, I thought on a footballing level it was crazy to let him go. If Zouma is out we really could do with him.

The only way it makes any sense is if we bring in a better CB before the window closes, and, given Moyes himself was a CB and he's brought in 2 quality CBs in the last 2 summer windows (showing he recognises the importance of the position) I seriously hope we do see a new arrival before the window slams shut.
  • Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I think Dawson has been pretty bad this season. Since he’s had his heart set on moving I think he’s been nowhere near his standards from his first couple of years here.
  • alderz said:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I think Dawson has been pretty bad this season. Since he’s had his heart set on moving I think he’s been nowhere near his standards from his first couple of years here.

Same here. I mean, he wasn't alone, but his form has certainly suffered this season.

And yet he was still picked ahead of Kehrer. And this is what concerns me about our current options. I think Kehrer was signed as a utility player, to cover Diop as 4th/5th choice CB and to give us options at full back. I don't think Moyes was ever planning to start him outside of ECL and cup games. Now Dawson's gone and Zouma's injured (again), Kehrer becomes a starter.
  • alderz said:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I think Dawson has been pretty bad this season. Since he’s had his heart set on moving I think he’s been nowhere near his standards from his first couple of years here.

Same here. I mean, he wasn't alone, but his form has certainly suffered this season.

And yet he was still picked ahead of Kehrer. And this is what concerns me about our current options. I think Kehrer was signed as a utility player, to cover Diop as 4th/5th choice CB and to give us options at full back. I don't think Moyes was ever planning to start him outside of ECL and cup games. Now Dawson's gone and Zouma's injured (again), Kehrer becomes a starter.
    Our options are very limited imo, as, although Ogbonna has been playing ahead of Kehrer, I personally don't think he's good enough any more to play in a 2 at PL level, thus potentially making Kehrer (or Cresswell) a starter in a back 3 (Johnson seems to have dropped off the radar).
  • OCS I doubt Moyes had no intention of playing Kehrer as a starter as I can’t see that he’d buy a current German international to be a 4th/5th choice CB.
    I think it’s just a case of his taking time to settle given that he’s been played in several different positions.
  • Kehrer was bought as a CB. He has not had a proper run in the side and ended up playing RB, which he did for Germany successfully. I think (hope) that he will come good given the chance. Both Ogbonna and Aguerd are left sided CB's so I think until Zouma is fit again we may well see a back three of Kehrer, Ogbonna and Aguerd with Coufel and Emerson.
  • Long term I think a partnership of Kehrer and Aguerd has a lot of potential for a team that wants to play out from the back. I just think Kehrer has struggled to adapt. It must be harder to adapt into a side that is trying to transition the way it plays and with a lot of new players.
  • alderz said:

Long term I think a partnership of Kehrer and Aguerd has a lot of potential for a team that wants to play out from the back. I just think Kehrer has struggled to adapt. It must be harder to adapt into a side that is trying to transition the way it plays and with a lot of new players.

Whilst I want what you say to be true, he's had a lot of suspect performances so far; hopefully they're mostly down to lack of confidence after being a bit part player at PSG but he's got a way to go to convince me he'll make it as a CB in this league.
  • edited January 2023

OCS I doubt Moyes had no intention of playing Kehrer as a starter as I can’t see that he’d buy a current German international to be a 4th/5th choice CB.
    I think it’s just a case of his taking time to settle given that he’s been played in several different positions.

All about the onions 👍

I just think that Moyes preferred CB pairing has always been Zouma and Aguerd. If they were fit and all season I believe they'd have started every league game. I think if Dawson was happy in London I believe he'd have been Moyes' first alternate if Zouma or Aguerd were out.

At £10m Kehrer was a relatively low risk buy, and offered versatility, but I don't honestly think Moyes brought him in as a first eleven player.
  • edited January 2023
    Chelsea’s new bench once the window is shut

• Ashby set to complete Toon move
    Harrison Ashby has completed his medical at Newcastle.
    A formal announcement confirming the deal is expected soon.
    The fee Newcastle are paying West Ham for Ashby is understood to be £3m including add-ons.
    West Ham have a sell-on clause inserted in the deal.
  • What happened to Baptiste. He looked very promising 2 seasons ago.
  • For info:

When does the transfer window close for January 2023 in Europe's top leagues?

Premier League: Tuesday January 31, 11pm GMT

EFL: Tuesday January 31, 11pm GMT

Scotland: Tuesday January 31, 11:59pm GMT

Women's Super League: Tuesday January 31, 5pm GMT (domestic transfers), midnight (international transfers)

Bundesliga: Tuesday January 31, 5pm GMT

Serie A: Tuesday January 31, 7pm GMT

La Liga: Tuesday January 31, 11pm GMT

Ligue 1: Tuesday January 31, 11:59pm GMT
This discussion has been closed.