January Sales

Comments

• Why do we need another CB now that Aguerd and Zouma are fit with Ogbonna and Kehrer as back up?

If we do, I can only assume it's because there are long-term doubts over Zouma's fitness. Until the Wolves bid, Dawson was starting over Kehrer and Ogbonna, so presumably he was 3rd choice CB and Moyes doesn't have much faith in the other two.
  • edited January 2023

Why do we need another CB now that Aguerd and Zouma are fit with Ogbonna and Kehrer as back up?

Ogbonna is past his sell by date I'm afraid (hate saying that as I thought he was great before his injury last season, he's just not the same since), and Kehrer has yet to prove himself in the PL, on top of which Zouma hasn't even played since his last injury and potentially has long term issues with his knee.
  • I don't disagree Buffy but Zouma is now supposedly fit and Aguerd is looking good. It has taken Ogbonna time to get over his injury but is getting there and Kehrer has not had a lot of game time to adjust to the PL. I think Dawson had a good run because all around him were getting injured.
  • Oggy's contract expires at the end of the season so we will need a replacement 4th CB in the summer but its not a problem we need to fix right now
  • Why do we need another CB now that Aguerd and Zouma are fit with Ogbonna and Kehrer as back up?

Dunno but I suspect the manager and coaches do.

• Personally, I think it's a bit of a red herring that we're bad defensively. We give away cheap goals, but that is, IMO, because of unreasonable amounts of pressure placed on our defence becaus eof our inability to score goals.

We are (slightly) above average in defence. We've conceded 25, which actually the equal 6th best record in the league - only Newcastle, Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea have a better defensive record than us. On the flip side, we've scored the joined second fewest goals this season. Only Wolves have scored fewer than us.

This chart shows where each club sits in terms of goals scored vs conceded. To me, it seems pretty obvious that our issues are about scoring goals, not stopping them.

• Don't know. It's from one of the more reputable ITKs, but as always needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. But it might explain why he only got 15 minutes at the weekend despite us desperately needing a goal.

Ex has now also said Scamacca is out, potentially for months.

So if Antonio wants out, do we need two strikers in this month? Just won't happen, will it.
  • Don't know. It's from one of the more reputable ITKs, but as always needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. But it might explain why he only got 15 minutes at the weekend despite us desperately needing a goal.

So if Antonio wants out, do we need two strikers in this month? Just won't happen, will it.
    Bearing in mind how long it took to get one striker in, we'll be lucky to get anyone in this window.
  • Aguerd, Cornet, and now Scamacca (who's already had a few spells out). Even Paqueta had a few games out. That transfer window was cursed. Have we ever been able to get all of the new signings together in a match day squad, let alone a starting 11?
  • Why does Antonio want to leave? Have I missed something?
  • edited January 2023

Why does Antonio want to leave? Have I missed something?

Apparently he's not happy with being second choice behind Scamacca:

Antonio did an interview with the Evening Standard three weeks ago where he said he was not happy with the number of games he'd played this season and he didn't like being on the bench

ASLEF's post was on 11th Jan.
  • I'm glad he's not happy with that.

But did he say he wanted to leave?

Genuinely worrying news. Now way can we rely on just Antonio.
  • No pressure Outcast.. all on you my friend..

• edited January 2023
    MrsGrey said:

I'm glad he's not happy with that.

But did he say he wanted to leave?

I think its more a case of journos taking 2+2 and coming up with The Complete Works of Shakespeare

(Antonio isn't happy being on the bench + various clubs want Antonio)( = Antonio wants to leave)

If Scamacca is out for a lengthy spell then Antonio is guaranteed a place in the starting XI

Why would he want to leave?
  • We’ve bid for Danny Ings, according to The Telegraph.
  • I'd be happy with Danny Ings.
  • I said on page 3 of this thread that Ings would be perfect for our current predicament. We need a proven goal-scorer that can hit the ground running and I can't think of many better than Ings.

Arguably not a long-term solution, but in the here and now, I'd say he's exactly what we need.

Moffi is still also linked. With Scamacca injured and Antonio possibly out of the door, we could do with another striker. At 23 he'd also be a potential long-term successor to Antonio (I've read his style is similar) so if they can release some of the summer funds and get him in now it could end up being a good bit of business.
  • I will be very surprised is Antonio leaves in this window, he is probably frustrated, but he is not the only one.
  • Why on earth would Villa let Ings leave?

He's currently their top scorer with 7 in all competitions and if Ollie Watkins was unavailable it would leave them with Leon Bailey as their only options up front.

• Arsenal will not be panicked into buying in January after missing out on Ukraine winger Mykhailo Mudryk, 22, to Chelsea and are prepared to wait until the summer before going in for West Ham's England midfielder Declan Rice, 24. (Sun)

West Ham tried to sign England defender Harry Maguire, 29, on loan but their move was rejected by Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag, who is keen to keep his club captain at Old Trafford for the rest of the season. (Mail)
  • Hamstew said:

Sky say he's signed for £15m

Sky have jumped the gun a bit by the sounds of it. Medical due later today and personal terms still to be agreed, according to other outlets.

Sounds like the Moffi deal is still being discussed too. If we manage to bring both in (I doubt we will), I wonder whether Scamacca will be off in the summer. Has never really looked happy on the pitch (maybe he just has one of those faces), but I have a feeling he'll be gone before the start of next season, whichever league we're in.
  • Aargh. I split a new thread....
  • Can we use the other one for Ings as it isn't possible to merge them again. Plus it's a bit more than a rumour now.

:(
  • OCS, I reckon all the players this season have been unhappy, well at least they should be, as most of the supporters certainly are.
  • Just noticed that Salomon Rondon left Everton last month on a mutual

To be fair he only scored three goals last season and two of those were against Boreham Wood in the Cup
  • Report (not sure how likely to be accurate it is) that a fee has been agreed with Wolves for Dawson:

https://www.westhamzone.com/news/west-ham-united-exit-set-as-wolves-agree-transfer-fee-for-craig-dawson/
  • If that's true 3.3 mil is not bad seeing as he is out of contract come summer
  • 🎵 He's Craig Dawson
    Cost a million quid and he's awesome
    Cross the ball and he scores 'em
    Craig Dawson🎵

To the tune of She's Electric.
  • He's a very old school likeable player. I know he's going but I'll thank him for his effort and performances. To get a fee for him is cherry on top
This discussion has been closed.