January Sales

Comments

• edited January 2023
    I'd come at it the other way round, and say that Moyes ( by his own admission) likes to give players time to adjust to the pl. So maybe he's just taken him out of the firing line and is showing some patience.

I'm sure I read an interview a day or two ago where he expressed his belief that the players he'd brought in were all going to come good...
  • MrsGrey said:

I'm sure I read an interview a day or two ago where he expressed his belief that the players he'd brought in were all going to come good...

We all hope he's right, but he's going to say that, whether he believes it or not.

Knowing how much pressure he's under, and having said that he has the final say on transfers, he's not going to come out and say the players he signed off are pony and won't cut it in this league.

But people will remember Hugill, Kral, Vlasic...
  • I don't get this 'lost trust' angle. Players have poor games or lose form and get dropped. Loss of trust means he is unlikely to return to the team.
  • Kehrer looks good 90% of the time but then has at least one rash decision in him per game. It's a judgement thing. I think he deserved not to be in the first team but I don't think he's a write-off. A bit of time out of the first team and hopefully seeing Zouma and Aguerd play to a higher level will maybe help him sort his head out.
  • A bit of time out of the first team and hopefully seeing Zouma and Aguerd play to a higher level will maybe help him sort his head out.

Unfortunately it seems Zouma is going to be out for a while so it will be interesting to what route we go down formation and selection-wise. Personally I'm still far from convinced Ogbonna is up to playing in a back 4 so I wonder if we'll stick with a back 3 which may also suit Kehrer a bit more (could also be an opportunity for Johnson to come in from the cold).

• edited January 2023
    Yeah if Zouma is out, that's a problem. I'd prefer Johnson as a RCB for now. I thought he did ok in most of the early games this season when he was covering. I think we have enough combinations to cover various positions for now but lets hope it stays that way.

Is Masuaku back in the 25 now?

Meanwhile, there are rumours that Cornet is returning soon.

• IronHerb said:

I don't get this 'lost trust' angle. Players have poor games or lose form and get dropped. Loss of trust means he is unlikely to return to the team.

I guess it's a case of semantics. Moyes dropped Kehrer for a reason; one of those reasons could be because he no longer trusts him not to make the kind of mistakes he made against Leeds.

Kehrer will obviously play again this season, but more so because he has to because of Dawson's sale and Zouma's injury problems. If Dawson had stayed, and Zouma, Aguerd and Ogbonna stayed fit for the rest of the season, I'm not convinced Kehrer would have got a look in at CB.
  • Zouma seems like another player who always picks up injuries, I know it's the West Ham way, but IMO he can't be relied on....
  • Is Masuaku back in the 25 now?

Arthur started for Besiktas on Sunday, played a full 90 minutes. He only missed two games with his ankle injury so I guess it wasn't as bad as they thought
  • Oh I thought there was some stuff about his loan being cancelled. Obviously premature reports.
  • Oh I thought there was some stuff about his loan being cancelled. Obviously premature reports.

There was. I remember reading something a couple of weeks ago, which I thought was strange because he seems to be doing well over there.
  • Randolph to Bournemouth looks to be a goer.

If this happens, I can't imagine the club would sanction a move for Areola.

We've also been linked to Senegal's Formose Mendy; 22 year old right-sided centre back currently playing in Ligue 2 in France. The player is said to want the move but Southampton are also interested.

https://wiwsport.com/2023/01/25/info-wiwsport-formose-mendy-amiens-daccord-avec-west-ham/
  • Back in November there was talk about Masuaku's loan being terminated when he got injured but he was back in the squad after the World Cup break

Earlier this month it was rumoured that Besiktas were going to terminate both Masuaku's and Dele Alli's loan deals but Arthur has started four out of the last five games.

On the other hand Dele Alli has only had three appearances for a total of 50 minutes since the World Cup
  • Danjuma, who we were closely linked with for a while in the summer and are alleged to have left unhappy with our behaviour, has joined Spurs on loan from Villarreal until the end of the season.
  • So apparently Ex is confirming Zouma is injured and possibly out for up to a month
  • Unfortunately it's no surprise having been already reported elsewhere. Another big blow.
  • Unfortunately to me at least, Zouma isn't the answer to our problems at the back. Seems like we can only expect him back for the odd run in, in the team. At some point we are going to have to bring in quite a few CBs imo.
  • Danjuma, who we were closely linked with for a while in the summer and are alleged to have left unhappy with our behaviour, has joined Spurs on loan from Villarreal until the end of the season.

He seems to prove Moyes point about not being reliable and being disruptive having 99% completed his transfer to Everton only to end up at Spurs. They are welcome to him.
  • So with all these latest injuries, what is the minimum requirement?
    For me it seems another CB and CF…..
    Will we manage that….
  • Definitely need another striker but as you say "Will we manage that?" Not so sure we will.
  • A CB should definitely come in otherwise it was wrong to let Dawson go; Ogbonna is out of contract in the summer anyway so, even if Kehrer does come good at CB, we'd still only have 4 after May, including Zouma who appears to be somewhat injury prone.

Having signed Ings (even though obviously he's out now) and with Cornet getting closer to returning (supposed to be training on grass next week, he'll be like a new signing) I can't see us signing another forward player, but given that Antonio (despite his best performance in ages on Saturday) will surely be moved on in the summer bringing in another CF wouldn't be wrong, I just can't see us doing it. I'd love to be proved wrong though.
  • Saw somewhere that we might get Vlasic back from Torino, not sure he’s going to be the answer…
  • Saw somewhere that we might get Vlasic back from Torino, not sure he’s going to be the answer…

Yeah, I saw something similar, although I though Torino had an option to buy (relatively cheaply), and I was under the impression he was doing well there and so they'd be likely to exercise that option.
  • Will Greenidge is the latest U23 to move on. Reports have him joining Colchester on a permanent deal.

I'm not sure we have a recall option on Vlasic do we? I doubt Moyes wants him back anyway. Didn't fancy him last season so no reason to believe he's changed his mind.
  • And Conor Coventry on his way to Rotherham on loan, according to Ex.
  • The difference between Haller making David Moyes look silly is Vlasic is only on loan so can be recalled to minimise any questions being asked about our manager or coaching staffs judgement. Is that a little too pointed, Sorry! =)
  • edited January 2023
    I’m sure I saw somewhere that Vlasic was top 5 for chances created in the top 5 European leagues this season.

Edit: found it
  • Made an impressive start with Torino with 3 goals in his first five games.
    Only one goal since tho and no returns in his last 5.
    Started Croatia’s first game at the w/c and got hooked at half time.
    There was talk of the deal being made perm this window but all has seemed to go quiet now 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • edited January 2023
    Vlasic's loan deal includes a €15m option to buy clause - half of the €30m we paid for him - but Torino have no need to activate the clause until the end of the season.

Unlike the Premier League there isn't a limit on how many loan players Serie A clubs can have, Torino currently has four while Empoli has 10 and newly promoted Monza has 12.

If we had any intention of keeping Vlasic we wouldn't have let him go on loan and I don't think we would have signed Paqueta or Cornet.
  • If we had any intention of keeping Vlasic we wouldn't have let him go on loan and I don't think we would have signed Paqueta or Cornet.

We also gave away his shirt number, which we haven't done with previous loans. The guy's not coming back. If it's not Torino, it'll be somewhere else.
This discussion has been closed.