January Sales

Comments

• edited January 2023
    I've seen one of those lists. It's actually forwards and they include some of the wingers. A bunch of those young players like Toni Martinez as well.

But it's still like 35/40 strikers we've brought in.
  • Right then.

Scamacca ✖️
    Ings ✖️
    Antonio
    Bowen

Given our two fit strikers are also our RW options, I'd say we probably need another forward option in this month. Either a striker, or a winger to offer cover/competition on the wing if Bowen has to play through the middle.

I have zero confidence that Ings' injury will be the short term absence that seems to be being reported; Cornet was only supposed out for a few weeks back in October after all.
  • edited January 2023
    I hope you mean Scamacca because Ings hasn’t had time to get injured yet. If he is then why didn’t he mention it today in his OS article.
  • He was chasing down until the final whistle and made no mention of being out in his article today.
  • I hope you mean Scamacca because Ings hasn’t had time to get injured yet.

You've supported West Ham long enough to know that a minute is long enough for a West Ham player to get injured.

Tbh, the thing that surprises me most about the dreadful Emiliano Sala incident is that it wasn't us that signed him.

• If he can remain injury free, I reckon that Ings just may turn out to be one of our best signing for literally ages.

Up there with Dawson 😉

I am so sorry but I did say IF 😢

• Leeds have opened talks with Weston McKennie. His name has been knocking around for a while as a potential Rice replacement.

I do hope we're actively looking for his replacement. It seems almost certain that we'll need to fill a rather large hole in our midfield next season.
  • Leeds have opened talks with Weston McKennie. His name has been knocking around for a while as a potential Rice replacement.

I do hope we're actively looking for his replacement. It seems almost certain that we'll need to fill a rather large hole in our midfield next season.

Must admit I thought I read something yesterday about Arsenal "stealing" our target Weston McKennie.
  • Ekwah declared after moving to Wearside “It’s really nice to see a club still doing that… still trusting young players. It’s not just one or two, it’s a lot of young players, so I think it’s really good.

I expect I will get pelters but this is another young player we have let go!
  • edited January 2023

Ekwah declared after moving to Wearside “It’s really nice to see a club still doing that… still trusting young players. It’s not just one or two, it’s a lot of young players, so I think it’s really good.

I expect I will get pelters but this is another young player we have let go!

Yeah, you've left yourself wide open there.

The counter arguments will always be 'how many of those that we've let go have done well' and 'Moyes sees them in training so will know best'. Both are valid (although I don't know how involved Moyes is with regards to the youth teams), but for me the takeaway is that our young players don't appear to see a path to the first team.

We've lost Alese, Perkins and now Ekwah, with Ashby reportedly close to leaving too. Money (agents) seem to be playing a part in this, but I don't think Ekwah's comments are a coincidence. He's done well for the U23s, has captained the team, but even in a season where our midfield has struggled, he hasn't had an opportunity at first team level.

I worry about Scarles, too. Clearly the club rate him, and he put in a MOTM performance in the ECL, but hasn't had a kick since. By all accounts he's performing incredibly well for the U18s, but despite Cresswell's struggles and Emerson seemingly not to have Moyes' trust, he hasn't had a look in. I get that he's young and may be content to carry on in the youth teams for now, but there needs to be a realistic path for those that are performing well otherwise they will want to leave, and young players may well be put off from joining if this is the perception of our club.
  • I was talking to a Sunderland supporting friend yesterday, as he messaged me asking about Ekwah. He said Alese was on course to be their player of the season before injury. The fact he can be that good in the championship makes me pretty confident he’d have been able to do a job for us - particularly as we knew Dawson wanted to leave and that Ogbonna’s career is winding down.

I’m less fussed about Ekwah, but Alese is the one that bothers me still.
  • alderz said:

I was talking to a Sunderland supporting friend yesterday, as he messaged me asking about Ekwah. He said Alese was on course to be their player of the season before injury. The fact he can be that good in the championship makes me pretty confident he’d have been able to do a job for us - particularly as we knew Dawson wanted to leave and that Ogbonna’s career is winding down.

I’m less fussed about Ekwah, but Alese is the one that bothers me still.

From what I've seen of the U23s over the last couple of seasons, I think Ekwah is a better player than Coventry. I think he'll play at a higher level, for sure. Whether that's eventually in the PL or not I don't know.

I agree about Alese though. He's a left-sided centre back so was an option to cover Ogbonna and play ahead of Cresswell in a back three and I honestly don't think he'd have done any worse.
  • Introducing New Chief Scout Troy Deeney

Deeney tells top clubs: Get Birmingham's Hall now
    Troy Deeney has hailed the potential of Birmingham City team-mate George Hall - and claims he has even spoken to some clubs like West Ham to tell them to sign him.
    Teenage midfielder Hall is having a breakout season at Birmingham aged 18, with Deeney waxing lyrical about what the player can go on to achieve.
    Birmingham captain Deeney told the Fozcast: "We've got George Hall, who I think is going to be a [expletive] player by the way.
    "I've warned about five or six other teams that I know - like Nobes [sporting director Mark Noble] at West Ham - 'get this player now'.
    "He's only 18 but he's mustard. When he plays, he's impactful. I can't tell you what he does good. But he scores goals, he's rapid and every time he's on the pitch... he stands out all the time."
  • Serious question: Where do see the U 21’s OCS?
  • The U18's are on the YouTube channel but the U23s are usually highlights. I've seen a few U23 games in that trophy thing by watching the other teams Channel via the EFL ifollow service. I always thought Ekwah looked decent but the standout is usually that Keenan Forson.
    Sorry just butting in.
  • What Ham said. The club's YouTube channel has shown pre-season friendlies over the last couple of summers too.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on our youth teams, but from what I've seen of him, Ekwah has always looked very capable.
  • edited January 2023
    Reports from Brazil have us interested in Brazilian wunderkind Vitor Roque. His club value him at €40m and we've supposedly bid *checks notes* €14m.

Probably nonsense, but it's not what I'd call unbelievable.
  • Well 14 could sound like 40 with the right accent hahaha
  • edited January 2023
    We need another CB given we’ve lost a reliable performer in Dawson. Kehrer is not a trustworthy replacement and there are injury question marks over the others.
  • Lukerz said:

We need another CB given we’ve lost a reliable performer in Dawson. Kehrer is not a trustworthy replacement and there are injury questions marks over the others.

Yeah, particularly if the Zouma rumours turn out to be true. Johnson and Cresswell can play in a back three, and should be ok against Derby, but I'd like another option in before the Newcastle game, even if it is a loan deal.
  • Rumours on Twitter are that Zouma is also injured.
  • It's definitely one of those seasons.
  • Why all the panic that Dawson has left, I thought he was great, but with all of our squad fit he would not have been in the starting eleven. Aguerd is class and now fit, Zouma was our number one defender, Ogbonna is coming back from injury and looking good, they kept a clean sheet and the full/wing backs looked good. Kehrer is a German international who IMO will prove his quality.
  • I wouldn't say there's panic.

As I see it, if Moyes wants to play with a back three, ideally you'd have five CB options to cover injuries, suspensions and the ECL and cup games.

We have four, but one of those is reportedly injured and Moyes benched Kehrer for Dawson, so looks to have gone off him. I think a six month loan of a PL defender would be ideal, and then look at Ogbonna's long-term replacement in the summer.
  • I'm reading 4-6 weeks for Zouma's latest injury.

And come March we'll be back to the Thursday/Sunday schedule. Staying with the four is putting a hell of a lot of trust in Zouma and Ogbonna's knees, IMO.
  • edited January 2023

and Moyes benched Kehrer for Dawson, so looks to have gone off him

Were all things equal? Were they both equally match fit?

If there was nothing internal to be factored in to the gaffer's decision.. what about external. Might he prefer one over the other because of the nature of the opposition? Or our formation? Or maybe he was trying to show Daws a bit of love...

A big leap, IMO, to say the manager's gone off Kehrer. Not enough evidence.
  • To be fair, I think the evidence, at least in my mind, is that his performances were pretty poor, for a first team international defender, he was pretty underwhelming.

I get the argument that he needs time to adapt to PL pace etc, but given our need for results, time is a luxury that we simply do not have.

Just my tuppence worth
  • edited January 2023
    MrsGrey said:

and Moyes benched Kehrer for Dawson, so looks to have gone off him

Were all things equal? Were they both equally match fit?

If there was nothing internal to be factored in to the gaffer's decision.. what about external. Might he prefer one over the other because of the nature of the opposition? Or our formation? Or maybe he was trying to show Daws a bit of love...

A big leap, IMO, to say the manager's gone off Kehrer. Not enough evidence.
    I did say 'looks to have gone off'.

Kehrer dropped a couple of rickets, against Leeds I think it was, and was then benched. Evidence would suggest that Moyes has lost trust in him.
This discussion has been closed.