January Sales

Comments

• Does anyone think we should be actively looking into how we can manage to allow Craig Dawson to leave?
  • Tbf they’re probably doing just that.
  • @Slacker, Probably waiting to see how the match goes tomorrow.
  • If we allow him to go in this window then I think we would wait until after the Everton game.
  • edited January 2023
    IronHerb, Good idea but IF we are expecting to get a replacement in wouldn't that just leave us ten days to sign one? Rumours are anyway we want a RB, CM & Striker, two of whom would be loan deals.
  • I don’t really want us to sign or sell anyone, tbh. We have a good enough squad, we just need to use it effectively.
  • alderz, I think Dawson may have to be the exception this window.
  • He wants to go, he's not rocked the boat as far as we know plus has put himself out there for us. His contracts up in the summer, we should get some money for him nd wish him well (surely us getting in a potential replacement isn't determined by him staying or not.). Make a deal and say they can have him at the end of the window if its that important he stays for the next couple of games
  • alderz, I think Dawson may have to be the exception this window.

Yeah I get that, and I don’t mind it. I mean more that I don’t want us buying players to get us out of the situation we’re in, because I believe we have enough already.
  • alderz said:

alderz, I think Dawson may have to be the exception this window.

Yeah I get that, and I don’t mind it. I mean more that I don’t want us buying players to get us out of the situation we’re in, because I believe we have enough already.
    I don't believe we have enough goals in us. Because I'm not convinced that we have a good enough defence to not concede in almost every game.

I think we're more likely to concede in each game than not, which means more often than not we'll need to score at least a couple to get the win. And I just don't think the forward options we have have been anywhere clinical enough this season to do that.
  • Maybe. I personally feel that the chances we create are poor. I’d have to check the XG per shot but I feel like most are low quality chances with little likelihood of a goal. We need to improve our use of the ball to improve that, score some goals and ease pressure on the defence.

I think that Aguerd is going to make a big difference to our defence, and if Zouma’s not too far away that will also make us a lot more reliable at the back.
  • Let's be honest, we're not performing in any department. I agree that if we can have a settled and fit Zouma/Aguerd partnership, and if Rice continues to play deeper, then we should have a decent defensive spine for the second half of the season.

But we still need more ahead of them. We need more pace, more creativity and more composure; we don't have enough of any of that in the squad IMO, and nor do I think we'll bring it in.

I've seen a few clips of our victory against Wolves a couple of seasons back (the Lingard season), and we seem to be a million miles away from that side. Really not sure what has happened.
  • Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay, 26, is not for sale this month despite Everton, Southampton, Leeds, West Ham and Leicester all expressing an interest in the Scotland international. (90Min)
  • Would he improve us?
  • I really like McTominay. I’ve said before that if we lost Rice I think he’d be a good replacement. Not close to as good as Rice, but a really good box to box midfielder
  • edited January 2023
    Bazshuayi said:

Would he improve us?

No. I could say a lot about McTominay but none of it would get past being modded!

See the two Lorient players we were linked with look to be going elsewhere?
  • I must admit, this is the first window in ages where anyone we sign would a bonus as I really don't expect as to sign anyone. We still desperately need a starting LB, and some pace in attack would be good but it's possible Cornet will provide that if he can overcome his injury issues (he'll be like a new signing).

Other than that, maybe a CB if we're going to let Dawson go, as Ogbonna surely goes in the summer (no way he gets another contract extension imo) and I'm not sure he'll be up to playing CB in a back 4 in the PL for the rest of the season anyway.

But I'm really not expecting or even hoping for anyone to come in as Moyes seems to have a blind spot where LB is concerned; Cresswell clearly not good enough, he tried Kehrer before Emerson (was he only signed as a LWB?) so I've no idea who plays there today. Finally Emerson? Does Johnson come in from the cold at get a start on his weaker flank? Today's game could force us into a move for a LB if we try either of those and they have a bad game, but otherwise I'm not sure we'll have to make do with what we've got.
  • alderz said:

I really like McTominay. I’ve said before that if we lost Rice I think he’d be a good replacement. Not close to as good as Rice, but a really good box to box midfielder

I'm not sure he'll be much of a player outside of a Sky 6 club as every time I see him play he gets away with murder that would see him booked and sent off way more often elsewhere.
  • If the rumours are true, we should try to do an exchange with Dawson for Souttar and a bit of cash. Dawson get's to move closer to home, we get a replacement.
  • I don't like McTominay
  • Can i agree more then once =)
  • You can have my agree steve 😀
  • If Wolves want Dawson then they have to take Antonio.
  • 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Chelsea had a loan bid for Jamaica forward Michail Antonio, 32, turned down by West Ham. (Guardian)
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Don't know what is funnier that Chelsea are reported to have asked for Antonio on loan or us for turning down the request.
  • With Chelsea in mind (outgoing)... Could Gallagher be the sort of player that could provide a spark and ignite us in the middle of the park? Chip in with goals and have a bit of a Lingard effect? I'd like us to try and get him. Ok, a swap deal with Antonio ;)

:"Crystal Palace will launch a new bid for Chelsea and England midfielder Conor Gallagher in the January window, with the 22-year-old dropping down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge"
  • I thought this must be an April fool joke, then realised the date
  • Ex says “We have a number of bids in for strikers”

The main target appears to be Lorient forward Terem Moffi. A bid for the player was rejected a couple of weeks ago and it seems that we have followed up our interest with a bid of around £25m for the forward.

The source confirmed that there are bids in for other players and some of these are also said to be players in foreign leagues in France, Spain and Italy. We will be looking to get concrete evidence of who these bids are for in time for the show tomorrow.
  • 3 out the 4 top spenders this season have gone backwards

This discussion has been closed.