The "I know its only February and Mrs Grey is going to scream "Noooooo" but..." transfer thread

Comments

• OCS, David Moyes must get back on his medication IF he thinks there aren't alot of strikers out there that are an upgrade on Antonio purely on his finishing alone.
  • Toney has only recently been talked about but I think we should be sounding him out now and trying to entice him to us. His attributes would improve our massiveness ;)
  • I'm hoping they are sounding out a few players now, so come the beginning of next season the new players have had a good pre season under their belts.
  • I don’t think Antonio has had a poor season at all. Sure, he hasn’t scored as many as he perhaps should, but I think he is a massive game changer for us. His running with the ball makes an enormous difference to how we play, and he creates a lot for us too.
  • I'm hoping they are sounding out a few players now, so come the beginning of next season the new players have had a good pre season under their belts.

I hope so too, but I'm not holding my breath; the combination of Dithering Dave and G&S wanting to wait till the end of the window in case there's a bargain to be had means I fear we'll start next season very much on the back foot.
  • You would like to think with all the time Rob Newman has had that there are already several deals set up, some of which may depend on how the season ends up, which can then be finalised quickly once the transfer window opens. Although I still expect there to be many “have we signed anybody yet” posts during the summer probably mainly coming from me. 😉
  • Have we signed anybody yet? (Just getting into practice)
  • You would like to think with all the time Rob Newman has had that there are already several deals set up, some of which may depend on how the season ends up, which can then be finalised quickly once the transfer window opens. Although I still expect there to be many “have we signed anybody yet” posts during the summer probably mainly coming from me. 😉

I wonder if Newman is going to be a bit like Haller; perfect for another club (one that's attractive and with lots of cash) but kinda wasted here as, regardless of any prospects identified, they still have to be approved by Dithering Dave and then gotten over the line by G&S.
  • Claret & Hugh spell August “Ayguest” in that article and it’s very funny to me
  • If he doesnt see the value it Toney 2 year ago to now then I'll be pretty surprised
  • You would like to think with all the time Rob Newman has had

If only all that was needed was time....
  • MrsGrey, plus a large transfer fund that we are reported to have & the rest is easy, isn’t it? 😁
  • That tells me we won't be spending anywhere near 50 million pounds for a striker.
  • That tells me we won't be spending anywhere near 50 million pounds for a striker.

If we had £50m to spend on a striker then I would expect better than Toney, although I wouldn't mind him but not at that price.
  • A qucik scan of the news has Toney linked with Arsenal, Man United, Newcastle, Wolves, Brighton, Everton and us while also claiming that he is eager to sign a new contract with Brentford.

This could get interesting...
  • One of the supposed Twitter ITKs (Romano) stating Rice has turned down a third contract offer and is open to moving this summer. Not sure it’s new news. Interesting timing though ahead of a game with his boyhood club.

Question: keep Rice for another 3 years and let him leave for nothing or cash in and reinvest?
  • Lukerz said:

Question: keep Rice for another 3 years and let him leave for nothing or cash in and reinvest?

Ideally keep for one more season (if he really won't sign a new contract) then sell if we really have to.
  • Silly season’s started early this year.🙄
  • Slacker said:

Silly season’s started early this year.🙄

Totally this. Every man and his dog says that he'll leave for .... club of choice. Nothing new of note in the transfer world today, so let's get another Declan story fired up.
  • Dont know why Rice would go to Man U.Coulld take them 2-3 years to really get going again or even longer .Chelsea has there own problems ,And Man City dont seem that interested .Liverpool I dont think are that keen either .Best he stays where he is loved
  • If he goes this summer there is no bargain price deal and I am not sure many will want to pay his value to us. After next season his price begins to drop due to contract length. I think if we have European football next season he may be relaxed about staying, if not I suspect he may begin to push.
  • Don’t think for one second that we keep making him offers as Moyes has said repeatedly that contracts will be discussed for several players in the summer.
  • edited April 2022
    Various reports now repeating what was on twitter including one saying he’s rejected an offer of £200k per week. If even remotely true it makes a mockery of his kissing the badge and pointing to it when he scored in Lyon.
    Other reports suggesting Soucek wants out because Moyes put his contract talks on hold until the summer because he doesn’t feel he deserves a new contract and apparently told him that.
    Utter rot.
  • edited April 2022
    He has no need to rush into a new contract. I see it that we have 12 months to demonstrate that we can match his ambition, otherwise he'll leave next summer.

If we have a strong couple of transfer windows, build a squad capable of competing for top four and silverware and, maybe, nick a trophy, he may decide to sign for another few years. He clearly loves the club and if we can give him what he wants career wise, he could stay.

That said, I think we've left ourselves too much to do and it's too big a gap to bridge in the time we have. I think he'll give us one more season but will be gone in 2023.
  • Various reports now repeating what was on twitter including one saying he’s rejected an offer of £200k per week. If even remotely true it makes a mockery of his kissing the badge and pointing to it when he scored in Lyon.
    Other reports suggesting Soucek wants out because Moyes put his contract talks on hold until the summer because he doesn’t feel he deserves a new contract and apparently told him that.
    Utter rot.

Him kissing the badge and his ambitions are not connected. He can adore West Ham and their fans yet still want to move on within the next 3 years to win some trophies.
  • Players get a lot of stick about being only interested in money but I don't think Dec is. He has probably foregone anywhere between 60-120k each and every week this season, the difference between his current wage and that which we can speculate he would have been offered, to simply keep his longer term options open.

I think he wants the maximum chance to win trophies in his career and recognises that is not likely to be with West Ham. He does nevertheless give his all every match.
  • Watching tonight’s game I think Toney’s first touch is worse than Antonio’s
  • Watching tonight’s game I think Toney’s first touch is worse than Antonio’s

Nah!
  • Be interesting to see how Toney does next season when defenders are used to him he could be another Pukki at Norwich
This discussion has been closed.