The "I know its only February and Mrs Grey is going to scream "Noooooo" but..." transfer thread

Comments

• Watching tonight’s game I think Toney’s first touch is worse than Antonio’s

He did hit the bar and the post though didn’t he?

• Slacker, Antonio can do that as well.
  • Be interesting to see how Toney does next season when defenders are used to him he could be another Pukki at Norwich

Pukki has more league goals than Antonio this season!.
  • IronHerb said:

Be interesting to see how Toney does next season when defenders are used to him he could be another Pukki at Norwich

Pukki has more league goals than Antonio this season!.
    And he makes great pies =)

coat please
  • Said it before (and I know when you have service from TAA, Robertson, Salah, Jota, Mane, Firmino, Dias, Tiago etc its easier to score) but we should be all over Origi on a free
  • On his way to Milan, Baz, so that ship has sailed unfortunately.
  • I know the rumour but I'd like us to try anyway
  • Looks like Leeds for the drop, wonder if Phillips wants to join rice in our midfield
  • I’d always be wary of relegated players, particularly as Phillips has been injured a few times this year
  • Antonio was said by many not to be able to survive a season uninjured. He's made 43 appearances so far.
  • IronHerb said:

Antonio was said by many not to be able to survive a season uninjured. He's made 43 appearances so far.

And his performances have suffered for it

It's a miracle he's survived without a proper injury, but it's not like we are seeing peak Antonio atm....the sharpness and energy hasn't been there for months and it's liley due to fatigue of playing every game when his body barely can do 50% of our games
  • Why is it a miracle? That's just a wild assumption. His form is little different to last season.
  • IronHerb said:

Why is it a miracle? That's just a wild assumption. His form is little different to last season.

Because him playing 43 games a season without and injury is a complete outlier based off his career to date.....
  • I have read a lot of articles where Antonio credits nutrition now to stronger muscles. He said he was always a little slack in the past. I am sure the two are linked &, if they are, there’s no reason why he can’t continue to avoid serious injury if he keeps it up.

I actually think his performances have been pretty good all season. It’s just his goals have dried up (more an issue with Moyes not signing alternatives than Antonio).
  • I think since his goals have dried up he’s been really up and down. Sometimes his holdup play is excellent and he runs defences ragged, other times he looks completely knackered and has absolutely no impact
  • Be interesting to see how much ground he covers a game I don’t see why he should be anymore knackered than other players who have played the same or more games.
  • alderz said:

I think since his goals have dried up he’s been really up and down. Sometimes his holdup play is excellent and he runs defences ragged, other times he looks completely knackered and has absolutely no impact

I agree but that is little difference from previously.
  • IronHerb said:

alderz said:

I think since his goals have dried up he’s been really up and down. Sometimes his holdup play is excellent and he runs defences ragged, other times he looks completely knackered and has absolutely no impact

I agree but that is little difference from previously.
    I think, and maybe my memory is letting me down, that when he played fewer games, the games he did play he was far more impactful - certainly as a striker.
  • Think Antonio is far more explosive than he's showing/showed the 2nd half of the season

He's a couple yards behind where he used to be

Also he is going down a lot more, at the start of the season he'd really battle the CB now he is happy to try win the free kick
  • Also he is going down a lot more, at the start of the season he'd really battle the CB now he is happy to try win the free kick

Knowing that 9 times out of 10 he doesn't get one.
  • He's a bulky player who weighs more than someone like Soucek. He's more a sprinter as opposed to say Soucek, who's more of a long distance runner. So imo he's going to get more tired over a game than Soucek. I think that's a factor in why he can sometimes look knackered.
  • Antonio always looks knackered. It's his default look. Same with Rice and Soucek. Of course, they usually ARE knackered by the end of a match
  • Daily Express claiming that Juventus have been told we'd want £40m for Soucek and that Conte wants him at Spurs

Seriously hope not

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1604592/Tottenham-Antonio-Conte-big-fan-Tomas-Soucek-West-Ham-price-tag-Juventus-transfer-news
  • Can we transition from being a selling club to keeping our regular first teasers? Can see we might have to sell Rice as he is a potential world class player.
  • According to some reports Rice has decided to give us at least one more season because he’s excited at the thought of being made club captain next season rather than just a stand in team captain.
    That may all change though if we don’t get any European football next season.
  • I don't think it matters what he wants this summer, personally. He's got three years on his deal, if the club refuse to sell him he has two options: 1) get on with it and get a move the following summer, 2) down tools and miss out on the World Cup.
  • I must admit I'm feeling a bit more confident that he'll stay for one more year, the vibe he gives off is that he very much loves the club, and, although I don't think we'll be able to match his ambitions in the long term, it kinda feels like he wants to help us be in as good a place as possible when he goes.
  • Bild claiming we're after Hoffenheim's 24yo LB David Raum who joined in the summer on a free from newly promoted (and now relegated) Greuther Fürth

Won his first full international cap in September and now has five. 3rd in the Bundesliga for assists (11).

Still got three years on his contract but £25.2m release clause

Certainly an upgrade on Masuaku as competition for Cressers
  • Still got three years on his contract but £25.2m release clause

Certainly an upgrade on Masuaku as competition for Cressers

No way, imo, that we're paying anything like that for a FB when we've so many other positions to fill.
  • Can we transition from being a selling club to keeping our regular first teasers? Can see we might have to sell Rice as he is a potential world class player.

I think these days every club is a selling club if the elite come calling. Only champions league on a regular basis can fight it off and even then if a club like Man City, Liverpool, Real Madrid come calling they're too much of a draw for most players
This discussion has been closed.