The "I know its only February and Mrs Grey is going to scream "Noooooo" but..." transfer thread

Comments

• Bazshuayi said:

We could always buy Brentford... We'll get Toney, Raya, Henry, Pinnock and Eriksen briefly plus their transfer scouting system ;)

Not so much a scouting system as they are heavily into analytics.
  • edited April 2022
    alderz said:

Seen on Instagram that Ex has said we’re after Lingard, Tarkowski and Brereton-Diaz on free’s in the summer.

Question is, do they strengthen the first eleven, which is Moyes' MO with transfers.

Lingard does, based on what he did for us last year, although when you look at his career as a whole, this could have just been a purple patch. But so many times this season we've been in situations in the attacking third when we've been crying out for Lingard's pace and direct running. He walks into our first eleven at the moment.

Tarkowski? Not sure, to be honest. Haven't seen much of Burnley this season but is he better than Ogbonna, Zouma or Dawson? 100% a Moyes player but we really need a CB with pace and good ability on the ball, IMO.

And is Brereton-Diaz better than Antonio? Hard to know, really. Most of Diaz's goals have come this season; last time out he only scored 7 in 40 Championship games. Another one-season wonder? I think Blackburn have an option on him so I don't know that he's actually on a free in the summer anyway.
  • Kretinsky's money stuck in Russia it seems so money may not be their if left to the Dave's
  • That's us in a nutshell. A broke Icelandic billionaire and now a billionaire whose money is stuck in Russia hahaha
  • alderz said:

Seen on Instagram that Ex has said we’re after Lingard, Tarkowski and Brereton-Diaz on free’s in the summer.

Question is, do they strengthen the first eleven, which is Moyes' MO with transfers.
    I don't think this is strictly true.

We've spent all season frustrated that Kral, Vlasic, Areola don't really get any game time, so clearly they don't improve the first eleven. I think when Moyes says he wants players that strengthen the first eleven what he really means i that he if he's going to spend big then they need to be as close to a sure thing as possible, because otherwise you end up selling your record signings for peanuts (£24.7m loss on Haller, £34.7m loss on Anderson).

In the examples of all of Lingard, Tarkowski and Brereton-Diaz* they are free transfers, so the risk (in terms of up front payment at least) is mitigated.

*I have seen people say that Blackburn have an option extend his contract by a year so maybe not
  • I think all three of them improve us.
  • IronHerb said:

I think all three of them improve us.

As a squad they do, but not as a starting XI necessarily (though I think that by improving the competition in the squad you may push those currently unchallenged to produce better performances still so they are not dropped)
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

We've spent all season frustrated that Kral, Vlasic, Areola don't really get any game time, so clearly they don't improve the first eleven. I think when Moyes says he wants players that strengthen the first eleven what he really means i that he if he's going to spend big then they need to be as close to a sure thing as possible, because otherwise you end up selling your record signings for peanuts (£24.7m loss on Haller, £34.7m loss on Anderson).

In the examples of all of Lingard, Tarkowski and Brereton-Diaz* they are free transfers, so the risk (in terms of up front payment at least) is mitigated.

*I have seen people say that Blackburn have an option extend his contract by a year so maybe not
    What he said about January was:

"I didn’t just want back-up, I wanted real competition. I could have easily gone out and bought back-up. Easily. I wanted people who were actually going to take other people’s jerseys and challenge them."

I'd be surprised if he changed this view for summer windows. And nor should he. We should be targeting players that can genuinely challenge the first team picture. The issue seems to be being able to afford the ones that Moyes wants.
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

What he said about January was:

"I didn’t just want back-up, I wanted real competition. I could have easily gone out and bought back-up. Easily. I wanted people who were actually going to take other people’s jerseys and challenge them."

I'd be surprised if he changed this view for summer windows. And nor should he. We should be targeting players that can genuinely challenge the first team picture. The issue seems to be being able to afford the ones that Moyes wants.
    "Challenge" the first team and "improve" the first team are being read differently, IMO. To me, he's saying "I don't want another George John or Wellington Paulista to come in and never play" but he's not saying "I don't want a Ben Brereton-Diaz because he's not going to be a nailed on starter immediately".
  • edited April 2022
    Equally, "take other people's jerseys" suggests he wants players ready to come in as first choice, and I don't think Brereton-Diaz is that player.

That said, after Antonio's performance on Sunday, I think Cameron Diaz would be an improvement.

I'm probably taking Moyes too literally. I just really hope he gets things right this summer.
  • Diaz would be a very good signing for me
  • https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-west-ham-register-interest-in-signing-arsenal-star-eddie-nketiah-after-twist/

The hitman has scored five goals in 50 Premier League appearances.

Surely, that should be missman. =)
  • That's from 5 shots right?
  • Its now 51 Premier League appearances (article dated 6 April) for a total of 1291 minutes (average 25 minutes per appearance). Just 11 starts and he has only lasted the whole 90 minutes twice.

Not one start in the Prem this season and the longest he's been on the pitch was 28 mins against Brighton.

He actually has played more in six cup games (397 mins) than he has in 13 Premier League matches (166 mins). Scored 5 this season, all in cup games but 4 were against League 1 sides

While Nketiah could leave on a free Arsenal will get a sizeable slice of compensation as he's only 22 and came up from the academy

If we sign him I won't be expecting too much in the first season
  • ASLEF, I really hope that is IF!
  • Not what you would call prolific but Moyes has been pretty spot on with most of his transfer signings
  • Obviously not including Vlasic and Kral.
  • Hopefully Vlasic will come good next season otherwise we may have to sell him at a loss?
  • Most, not all. He seems to have a plan and so far I won't knock it.
  • Kral was a filler signing. Like when you buy two bottles of washing up in one shop. Could’ve waited another week, but it was easy to pick up both.

Vlasic I think will come good. He’s barely had any run of games.
  • Nketiah doing well tonight, apparently we want to pick him up at the end of the season
  • Sadly i suspect that Nketiah will still be a Gooner next season

1) boyhood Arsenal fan
    2) Aubameyang gone
    3) Lacazette contract talks stalled and likely to leave on a free in the summer

With those two gone he's going to get a lot more playing time next season, all they have to do is agree a salary.
  • Sadly i suspect that Nketiah will still be a Gooner next season

1) boyhood Arsenal fan
    2) Aubameyang gone

With those two gone he's going to get a lot more playing time next season, all they have to do is agree a salary.

Arsenal were after Vlahovic for £60m in January. There’s no way they let their main two strikers leave and don’t sign at least one starting striker in the summer. I think Nketiah will be second choice at absolute best
  • alderz said:

Sadly i suspect that Nketiah will still be a Gooner next season

1) boyhood Arsenal fan
    2) Aubameyang gone

Arsenal were after Vlahovic for £60m in January. There’s no way they let their main two strikers leave and don’t sign at least one starting striker in the summer. I think Nketiah will be second choice at absolute best
    As he'd probably be at West Ham under Moyes, so I think he'd be more likely to stay there as second striker.
  • Ian Wright fancies him as an instinctive goal scorer and thats good enough for me. Yes, he'd initially be sub here but if he takes his sub chances he could stay in the side/share duties with Antonio and also allow Antonio to either have rest or move to a wing and rest people like Bowen...
  • Why would he be second choice? Antonio has, in general, had a poor season and only starts regularly as he's our only striker.
  • IronHerb said:

Why would he be second choice? Antonio has, in general, had a poor season and only starts regularly as he's our only striker.

Moyes' bar for a striker is incredibly high. If we believe what he's told us, we haven't bought one in three windows because no-one out there is an improvement on Antonio. Not sure why we'd think Nketiah is suddenly that player.
  • I think Wright is quite close to Nketiah (and a lot of the young players there) and will always back him. Might not be the most objective assessment.

• Not sure two poacher finishes after awful errors makes him Arsenal’s (or any clubs) new long-term number 9.
  • Lukerz said:

Not sure two poacher finishes after awful errors makes him Arsenal’s (or any clubs) new long-term number 9.

One of them followed about 3 lucky ricochets as well.
This discussion has been closed.