The "I know its only February and Mrs Grey is going to scream "Noooooo" but..." transfer thread

Comments

• Lukerz said:

Mbappe & Chris Wood would be some pairing

Little and large, it's tried and tested
  • edited April 2022
    alderz said:

Lukerz said:

Mbappe & Chris Wood would be some pairing

Little and large, it's tried and tested
    Carew and Baldock. Halcyon days.
  • Cole and Di Michele
  • Hartson and Kitson
  • Not quite Bill and Ben though.
  • edited April 2022
    Apparently PSG not so keen on loan with an option to buy deal!

On a more serious not I imagine Madrid and City will have Mbappe and Haaland between them, leaving Kane having missed his boat to City and remaining trophy-less at Spurs again.

Unless Salah decides not to sign, in which case things could get interesting.
  • David Cross and Pop Robson
  • Cottee and McAvennie. Oh wait a minute, hand me some platform shoes for one of them
  • Interesting decision making criteria Baz.

Its also my set and forget criteria for picking my fantasy team too. You know it makes sense :awesome:
  • I'm in the Baz camp on this one. I mean, who would want Richarlison at West Ham?
  • Well I'm guessing Cresswell doesn't. ☺️
  • Kuchinghammer, Before I seriously answer that question is he a striker & will he score some goals for us? 😉
  • No denying that, but he'd be toxic in the dressing room...and everyone would want to slap his face 🙂
  • I really, really want us to sign Ivan Toney in the summer. The guy’s quality.
  • I can see a lot of waiting and dithering before we really start looking at buying someone and that won't start until the last couple of days of the window.
  • edited April 2022
    alderz said:

I really, really want us to sign Ivan Toney in the summer. The guy’s quality.

I said that in the summer, I believe like yourself. He works hard, chases back and causes havoc. He's a bit like a "fit" Andy Caroll on his "A" game. May not be prolific this season but could be in the right surroundings.
  • yoyo said:

alderz said:

I really, really want us to sign Ivan Toney in the summer. The guy’s quality.

I said that in the summer, I believe like yourself. He works hard, chases back and causes havoc. He's a bit like a "fit" Andy Caroll on his "A" game. May not be prolific this season but could be in the right surroundings.
    Last summer I hadn’t seen much of him tbh. But he reminds me a bit of Carroll, a bit of Antonio and a bit of Kane. He’s very physical, works really hard for the team, is very unselfish, and he’s got outstanding link up play. Toney and Bowen up top is basically a dream for me.
  • Toney’s not very fast, so it would require a change to Antonio. But he’s for more natural in that position.
  • Toney’s not very fast, so it would require a change to Antonio. But he’s for more natural in that position.

A Plan B, you mean?

How novel.

It would, but we also like to play into and off of Antonio, which Toney would be great at. He does run the channels, but not to the same extent.
  • edited April 2022
    As mentioned previously, I am also in the Toney camp. I dont think he would be too expensive either (considering we were supposed to be sniffing around Nunez who I think would've cost more than him back in Jan and another 50M on top of that now the bigger clubs want him)
  • Well Brentford held out for £35mil and £25mil for Watkins and benrahma respectively when they were still in the championship

Given they're likely to stay up this season, can see Toneys value being much higher than those two, maybe upwards of £50mil
  • Brentford seem to be pretty good at transfers, both in and out. I think Champo is right; they'll be looking for big money. He's 26 so approaching his prime years, has 12 goals and 4 assists in 27 PL games and will carry the homegrown quota tax.

What we need to do is get much better at identifying the Ivan Toney's of this world when they're available for £5m, as Brentford did when Toney was at Peterborough.
  • I just looked him up and his contract ends in 2025 so it will be big money required
  • And, if we don't get into Europe next season, Brentford to West Ham wouldn't represent a huge step-up for Toney.

He's probably approaching an age where he'll be looking for European football before it's too late, so I expect his next move will be to a club that can offer that.
  • Funny how we never managed to buy anyone when we weren't in Europe. 🤔
  • IronHerb said:

Funny how we never managed to buy anyone when we weren't in Europe. 🤔

No-one is saying we wont sign anyone, are they? We're talking specifically about Toney. West Ham playing in Europe would presumably make him more open to the move. If we're not, he may as well stay where he is.

The reality is, being in European competition influences the calibre of players a club can sign. I'm not convinced Zouma would have signed had we not been in the EL this season.
  • I understand Barry Fry advised G & S about Toney when he was @ Peterborough but they didn’t make a move for him. Is he likely to go to one of the current top 5 or Manchester United?
  • IronHerb said:

Funny how we never managed to buy anyone when we weren't in Europe. 🤔

No-one is saying we wont sign anyone, are they? We're talking specifically about Toney. West Ham playing in Europe would presumably make him more open to the move. If we're not, he may as well stay where he is.

The reality is, being in European competition influences the calibre of players a club can sign. I'm not convinced Zouma would have signed had we not been in the EL this season.
    Paying him more money should do the trick.

• And, if we don't get into Europe next season, Brentford to West Ham wouldn't represent a huge step-up for Toney.

I think this is crazy, personally.

Next season will be our 11th straight season in the Premier League - this is Brentford's first since the 1940s. Yes, they're likely to stay up this season, but 'second season syndrome' is a very real thing for promoted teams (I don't have numbers, but I'm going to get some today, I've just decided).

Aside from the club size, a bit of googling says that Brentford's top earner is Kristoffer Ajer on £35,000 per week. That is from last year, but it's really unlikely that they'll have broken their wage structure significantly since then, so I think the chances are Toney will be on an absolute max of £50,000 per week. There's absolutely no way he wouldn't get a massive payrise.

I can't see a world in which West Ham isn't viewed as a step up to Brentford right now.
This discussion has been closed.