The "I know its only February and Mrs Grey is going to scream "Noooooo" but..." transfer thread

Comments

• Dodger, I hope you are right about a few of those coming through but history doesn't bode well as the club nearly always lets them go as not many go onto appear as regulars in the First team.

• If we let him go and sign Johnstone, then I'd question whether Moyes is in charge of transfers, to be honest.

This is definitely a position you don't want to have to compromise on, but if it comes down to it (and financially there are bound to be compromises made this summer given the number of players we need to bring in) and it's Johnstone and a new LB, or Areola and no new LB, then Moyes has a very tough decision to make imo.
  • IMO one of the best things about Burnley staying up is that they would be reluctant to sell us Pope!

Also, I read something that said that Vlasic had most of his better games for previous teams playing more centrally (or in a number 10 role). I think he has only played wider for us. Would it be worth trying him more centrally before we write him off?
  • Back in March the Athletic claimed that we can either buy Areola for £11m in the summer or extend the loan for another season
  • edited May 2022
    We’ve got the best part of four months of this.🙄💤
  • Only if you read the transfer speculation thread, of course...
  • I feel like 4 months to buy a striker is cutting it a bit fine =)
  • Only if you read the transfer speculation thread, of course...

So true, right on the money yet again OCS.

• We haven't even got to the best bit of the window yet, the players numbers and what bag they get photoed going in with.
  • We need utility players like PJ
  • add a New Left Back
  • From the BBC Gossip Column: "Kylian Mbappe is on the brink of signing a two-year contract extension with Paris St-Germain worth £42.5m a year, plus an £85m signing-on fee for the 23-year-old France forward. (Le Parisien - in French, subscription required)"

That is just bonkers!
  • So are you saying are chances of signing him have gone then lol
  • P_L_F, Yes the club have said he is not a suitable signing.
  • If true, that is just plain greed. No player is worth being paid that much. That is just obscene.
  • It's stupid if he does it. He's a real talent. Reminds me of watching Ronaldo of Brazil with the mixture of pace, dribbling and finishing. Why continue wasting years at PSG where there's no challenge in the league? I don't think Neymar will really be remembered as one of the greats because he wasted his prime years at PSG. Mbappe should avoid that as well.
  • 40m seems a lot for Broja, but he looks a really good prospect. He reminds me of Arnautovic as a CF more than Antonio, but he runs hard, is physical, has good link up play, and is a tidy finisher. I think he’d be a great option for us.

That said, I think it’s very unlikely at that kind of price.
  • alderz said:

40m seems a lot for Broja, but he looks a really good prospect. He reminds me of Arnautovic as a CF more than Antonio, but he runs hard, is physical, has good link up play, and is a tidy finisher. I think he’d be a great option for us.

That said, I think it’s very unlikely at that kind of price.

Dawson will be very relieved
  • 40mio seems like a figure the journalist has pulled out of thin air , I like broja think he would give the team a good focal point and better finishing than Antonio. Probably his acgent looking for a move for his player planting the story
  • So we want to take advantage of their transfer situation....but also we can't do anything until they are sold....at which point the transfer situation is null....

Great
  • Reports that a bid has been accepted for Chelsea so that’s part of the issue sorted. Transfer window open 10 jun in PL intl transfer 01 jul some even more speculation and rumours this summer 😁
  • Hyp
    VERY hypothetical, but this is the sort of window I would like us to see. Yes some buy prices might be low, I’ve gone to the best of my knowledge, yes some sale prices might be high but I think we can negotiate up to teams like Newcastle. I’ve not put Soucek on the sale side despite a bad season, I’d like to keep him, but you could get £40m for him from Juve if the link is true.
    Plus, rumours are we have £150m to spend and you’ll notice my net is barely over half of that! I’m not on the small squad side of the fence either, and I agree this is probably too many but I wanted to show what might be possible and include some youth! Could be an exciting summer either way.
  • edited May 2022
    I got as far as getting £30m for Diop?????? You'd never, ever, ever get that, even if he had more than a year left on his contract.
  • No way we get Phillips for £30m either, not if we're valuing Rice at £150m; regardless of whether he has a relegation clause, other teams would pay more than that for him imo. Also can't see us getting £20m back for Vlasic given how little football he's had this season.

Not sure about the valuation for Gallagher, could be reasonable but can't see Chelsea selling, and definitely can't see us spending that sort of money on him. Also, really can't see us spending £25m on any FB, given the most we've spent on one is reported as the £6.2m on Masuaku.
  • edited May 2022
    One final point, even if we get Lingard, Tarkowski and Belotti in as free agents, their signing on bonuses because of the lack of transfer fees would be very significant, probably in the region of £15-20m between the 3 of them, as although they're free agents they're anything but free cost-wise.
  • Vlasic was Russian footballer of the year, you could easily negotiate £20m imo.

Diop is constantly being pursued and was once touted at £40m. Newcastle are constantly linked and have loads of money to spare so I don’t think £30m is out of the realms of negotiation. But like I said, it’s a hypothetical.

Phillips “apparently” has a £30m relegation release clause so that’s an assumption.

Signing on fees you can balance against how far under I’ve gone on the net :)
  • Not sure I'd say Soucek has had a bad season, perhaps that's just me.
  • edited May 2022
    One final, final point, can't see Benrahma being moved on, despite how frustrating he has been at times this season, and especially if we're moving on Vlasic (which I wouldn't be averse to but not sure it will happen). Hard enough to get enough players in to replace those leaving and the spaces we desperately need filling (like a CF) without upgrading those (other than Masuaku and Diop who both really need to go) who we'd prefer were a bit better. Really can't see anywhere near the 10 players you're suggesting coming in, however nice it would be to have the players; I think it's generally ill-advised to try and bring too many new players in during one window as well.
  • Vlasic was Russian footballer of the year, you could easily negotiate £20m imo.

Diop is constantly being pursued and was once touted at £40m. Newcastle are constantly linked and have loads of money to spare so I don’t think £30m is out of the realms of negotiation. But like I said, it’s a hypothetical.

Phillips “apparently” has a £30m relegation release clause so that’s an assumption.

Signing on fees you can balance against how far under I’ve gone on the net :)

There goes my thought process that Diops price was a mistype

#3Million
This discussion has been closed.