The "I know its only February and Mrs Grey is going to scream "Noooooo" but..." transfer thread

Comments

• It could probably be tracked back to the birth of the Premier League and the ever increasing amount of money that’s flowed into game.
    It’s so vital for clubs to stay in the top league now as relegation could mean financial disaster and and at the other end of the table they need the riches from Champions League qualification to prevent managers and club staff losing their jobs. So it makes sense for managers to play safe regarding promoting young players from within. Those players that do come through are pretty exceptional.
  • It would be good to have figures for how many of our academy who get let go do go on to make their living as a professional footballer. I would hope a good few who wouldn't make it into our first team can still make a decent living in lower leagues.

I seem to recall reading an article in which it stated the average wage difference between the leagues. I think the Premiership was around 60k (but increased by a handful of mega earners, so nearer 50k really), the Championship was around 25-30k, then a big drop to around 5k in league one and 2k in league two. So even in league two a player could hope to earn just short of 100k PA, which is not too shabby.
  • L'Equipe claim that Lyon are after Diop
  • hopefully before we play them ;)
  • Although Rice isn't for sale, his price is at least £150m, although he isn't for sale

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60962430

🤔🤔🤔
  • I take that as good news. To me it’s very much “he’s not leaving”. Unless he starts scoring 10+ a season nobody is paying £150m+ for a centre midfielder.
  • That will start to tick down as the months go by & Moyes will know that. He has a maximum of 3 years left on his contract.
  • Does anybody think we can keep Declan next season if we don’t secure any form of European football next season? I think that makes keeping him very tough after this season’s experiences. The only thing that may help us is him having a World Cup to look forward to.
  • That's a good point Lukerz. The disruption of joining a new club and not necessarily playing all the time might make him consider his position for next season. Also puts him on a world stage. 😬
  • edited April 2022
    Yeah I think, actually, with no World Cup we may lose him in the summer with no European football but actually the Qatar World Cup gives him something massive to look forward to either way. That plus his age. He may be thinking his focus is now the World Cup for England & he’ll deal with his club future the following summer.
  • Depends on Rice

Seems like the club are relaxed, they obviously don't want to sell him and he has at a min 2 years left on his contract, which in reality is 3 years as we have a one-yyear extension option

If we get a bid we don't think is good enough we won't accept....unless Rice tries forcing it which I doubt he'd do in a Payet way but I can see him being honest and trying to convince the club that's its best for him to move on
  • Both parties need to be honest about it, in that unless anyone offers what we want then we aren’t obliged to sell and Declan can’t really expect us to do so.
  • Liverpool want to sign a top-class central midfielder this summer - and their number one target is West Ham's England international Declan Rice, 23. (Football Insider)

Firstly, I dont actually believe Liverpool have designs on Rice at all.

Secondly, y'all know I'd love him to go there instead of Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City!
  • No way do they spend over £100m on a player when they have Fabinho & Thiago.
  • I don’t see why any player that is pivotal for their country would agitate for a move 5 months before a World Cup. Why rock the boat? Why risk things?
  • They are 29 and 30. Both excellent players, but lots of miles in the legs. Signing Declan this year or next would give him time to bed into the Liverpool systems - not that I want him to go, but they’re not averse to paying for the right people.
  • alderz said:

I don’t see why any player that is pivotal for their country would agitate for a move 5 months before a World Cup. Why rock the boat? Why risk things?

Because elite footballers will back themselves to be starter regardless of who they play for

Also, Rice could join City this summer....not play a minute due to Rodri (not that this would actually happen) and you'd still back him to start for England

United were a problem because of their money but if they don't get top 4, which now seems incredibly unlikely....no chance Rice goes there

So really, unless a European teams becomes interested, its really down to Chelsea and City, and again I doubt City are interested

Starting to feel like Rice may just stay another 12 months to see if there are more suitors come 2023
  • alderz said:

I don’t see why any player that is pivotal for their country would agitate for a move 5 months before a World Cup. Why rock the boat? Why risk things?

5 months? That's nothing!

Less than a month before the start of the 1966 World Cup Bobby Moore was refusing to sign a new contract because he wanted to join Tottenham on a free.

His contract was due to expire on 30 June 1966 and he only signed a one month extension because under FIFA rules he would have been ineligible to play
  • Ah that was in the black and white days hahaha

• Because elite footballers will back themselves to be starter regardless of who they play for

I think there's a lot of evidence that this might not be the case. Lots of players looking for loans or permanent moves, asking for playing guarantees or they won't sign. We see reports of that all the time....

• alderz said:

5 months? That's nothing!

Less than a month before the start of the 1966 World Cup Bobby Moore was refusing to sign a new contract because he wanted to join Tottenham on a free.

His contract was due to expire on 30 June 1966 and he only signed a one month extension because under FIFA rules he would have been ineligible to play
    Well, yeah, but that’s my point. He finished a season where he was.

Anyway, regardless of the World Cup, regardless of our involvement in Europe next season, I don’t think Rice is going anywhere this summer.
  • An unnamed club has joined Real Madrid in competing for France striker Kylian Mbappe's signature. (RMC Sport - in French)

We should be all over this.
  • Slacker said:

An unnamed club has joined Real Madrid in competing for France striker Kylian Mbappe's signature. (RMC Sport - in French)

We should be all over this.

We undoubtedly are:

"We tried"
  • buffy, Is this unnamed club English?
  • Mbappe & Chris Wood would be some pairing
  • buffy, Is this unnamed club English?

No idea, I was just working off Slacker's post.
  • you know Dave's already been on the blower offering Yarmo in part exchange
  • I don’t know if he’ll be the right fit for us tbh.
    Ok he’s a World Cup winner and has definitely got pace,but he can’t cross a ball and gives it away a lot.
  • He's also got a sulky face that begs to be slapped. Its a no from me...
  • Interesting decision making criteria Baz.
This discussion has been closed.