January Transfer Window

Comments

• I agree with the view that it's not that we shouldn't look at players who may not meet our immediate needs but rather that the bid (if true) has no chance of success and so it's not surprising that it encourages people to think it's just to make us look ambitious when really trying to get our real targets on a 12 month loan approval. Raphina at a push you could say it's realistic enough but the Phillips bid would have zero chance of success. We may as go all out and bid 60m for Bruno from United, we don't need a midfielder but he would improve us.

It's not easy to get targets that possibly many clubs will be looking at but the means of doing so is not complicated, you need to tempt the selling club with the fee and the player with your ambition and wages. I do recognise none of us actually know what is being offered and on what terms but competing with the clubs we are now I suspect we may need start trying to make offers that are harder to refuse than these loan with a buy option, as so much can go wrong for the selling club with them. If they have a 30m asset at present to allow him 12 months loan with an option in possibly a new league in which he may not shine can only reduce their asset, and even if it works out the best they can get is the 30m which is the price now being valued at.

Football is not for the faint hearted or those without the ability and willingness to absorb financial loss, but that's the nature of the game now.
  • In advanced talks to sign DCC - €22m - being widely reported now
  • Lukerz said:

In advanced talks to sign DCC - €22m - being widely reported now

This would be a great start. A short and long term solution and hopefully a significant upgrade on Diop.

Still think we'll get Lingard tomorrow, and I'm hopeful, though not optimistic, on a striker.
  • Will Lingard even go now Greenwood isnt about
  • I think if Man Utd were willing to give us Lingard he’d be here by now.
  • I think if Man Utd were willing to give us Lingard he’d be here by now.

Yeah, that's good logic.

But it's nearly transfer deadline day; I ain't interested in logic.
  • I notice Joe Worrell is not in the Forest side today, maybe another Centre back on the way? Jordan Hugill also scores on debut for Cardiff!
  • If DCC comes in I can see Diop being shipped out tbh. I really hope it’s not just a CB, but tbh as a number of people of have said, we don’t really struggle to score, it’s our defence that’s a problem. I still think Lingard will come in, I know its probably not logical, but I just have a feeling.
  • edited January 2022
    We would all like a striker & another attacking player but the difference, for me, between 4th & 5th will be our defence. That’s what needs sorting. A solid CB pairing to see us through until the summer. If we had that against Leeds & Southampton we don’t lose 6 goals & 6 points. We’ve got the last 16 of the Europa & (hopefully) a run in the FA Cup too.
  • Benteke on loan is all over twitter. Personally I'd rather not sign a striker than sign him.
  • edited January 2022
    Imo of course
  • Hamstew said:

Benteke on loan is all over twitter. Personally I'd rather not sign a striker than sign him.

I'd take him right now. We create a lot of chances that come to nothing. I think we could re-energise him. He is playing better this season under a coach who knows how to play him.
  • I feel Palace rage from Hamstew. 🤔
  • Hamstew said:

Benteke on loan is all over twitter. Personally I'd rather not sign a striker than sign him.

I think he’s not a long term solution, but for a backup striker for 6mths he’s better than what we currently have.

What I would say, though, is that it is a bit of a climb down considering all the comms have been that we basically wanted to find the perfect players to join us, and now we’re apparently happy to settle.
  • Heart says no, head says he’s better than Yarmolenko
  • We may be the right team for him
  • Jason Burt (Telegraph) says DCC very unlikely due to us still only wanting a loan.
  • Lukerz said:

Heart says no, head says he’s better than Yarmolenko

On current form head says yes as he's better than Antonio at this time.
  • edited January 2022
    alderz said:

Hamstew said:

What I would say, though, is that it is a bit of a climb down considering all the comms have been that we basically wanted to find the perfect players to join us, and now we’re apparently happy to settle.
    This VERY MUCH THIS!☝️😡

I know it’s pure speculation but come on,Benteke?!

Mind you I remember saying that about Teddy Sheringham.😳

• Several reports dcc on his way to London probably to get some shopping knowing our luck 😁
  • Several reports dcc on his way to London probably to get some shopping knowing our luck 😁

Probably signing for Tottenham knowing our luck
  • Yep don't get this logic the guy has proved time and time again that he is pony. I'd rather we sign a right winger and play Bowen up top when Antonio needs resting. Last thing we need is him coming in missing sitter after sitter

Nah, early closing on a Sunday.😉

Probably signing for Tottenham knowing our luck
    Spurs got turned down by a non-league player today, which is fun
  • From Sky : West Ham interested in Nunez
    West Ham are interested in Benfica striker Darwin Nunez.

Nunez, who has scored 20 goals in 25 games this season, sees contract at Benfica run until 2025.

The 22-year-old is on international duty with Uruguay at present, with a match against Venezuela on Tuesday.
  • Lukerz said:

Jason Burt (Telegraph) says DCC very unlikely due to us still only wanting a loan.

Ah well, fun while it lasted.
  • yoyo said:

From Sky : West Ham interested in Nunez

Nunez, who has scored 20 goals in 25 games this season, sees contract at Benfica run until 2025.

The 22-year-old is on international duty with Uruguay at present, with a match against Venezuela on Tuesday.

He’s lightning fast (according to Football Manager)
  • Those Portuguese teams are very hard to negotiate with though - or at least used to be. They’re good at finding young talent and putting big clauses into their contracts.
  • Going to bed and its only 2.20pm here in Canada .That should get some movement going =)
  • alderz said:

yoyo said:

From Sky : West Ham interested in Nunez

He’s lightning fast (according to Football Manager)
    Used to stand on the North Bank with his dad apparently.

This discussion has been closed.