January Transfer Window

Comments

• He’s not in the country he’s at the Concacaf.
  • I thought he was Chilean?
  • He is. The Concacaf is for the Americas and is where Antonio is at the moment with Jamaica.
  • But Chile is South America, so they’re not in CONCACAF are they? They are in a separate organisation with the South American countries.
  • There are some World Cup qualifying matches taking place around South America atm. Chile played a day or so ago. 👍
  • You’re right he’s not at the Concacaf but Chile are playing in the World Cup qualifiers. They lost to Argentina yesterday 2-1 and he scored their goal and play Bolivia Tuesday.
  • Talks intensify for DCC today apparently hopefully get it done
  • But DCC isn’t a CF, suppose I should be grateful we appear to be getting someone in.
  • No but he does play as a left sided centre back, which is other big need, IMO
  • You’re right he’s not at the Concacaf but Chile are playing in the World Cup qualifiers. They lost to Argentina yesterday 2-1 and he scored their goal and play Bolivia Tuesday.

Mmm, scored their goal you say?
    Why haven’t we signed him then?
    We should be all over that.
    Always rated ( actually never heard of ‘til last week) him .

• Sky now got us linked with a 27 yo striker who’s illustrious career includes Cardiff, Colchester and Torquay.
  • But DCC isn’t a CF, suppose I should be grateful we appear to be getting someone in.

But if we concede less we won't have to score so many. 🤔
  • Sky now got us linked with a 27 yo striker who’s illustrious career includes Cardiff, Colchester and Torquay.

I hope not. We need a proven and established striker at this time, who can be thrown in against Dortmund if we get them in the Europa. There is space for a prospect or a gamble but not at this time. Calvert-Lewin has been the best rumour in my view, I don't expect Everton to want to sell him at present any more than we do Rice that's the kind of deal we need try and tempt someone with.
  • DCC playing for Marseille tonight. Suggests a deal may not be as close as some websites have said.

Who happens to be a Will Salthouse client.

Let's hope that's why there's a link, rather than why we may be interested.
  • Origi happens to be a Will Salthouse client too.

Are we sure we can afford him!?
  • IronHerb said:

But DCC isn’t a CF, suppose I should be grateful we appear to be getting someone in.

That old "chestnut" you sound as if you have been talking to David Moyes & the owners getting a press statement ready for late Monday night when our new striker doesn't sign. =)

• DCC playing for Marseille tonight. Suggests a deal may not be as close as some websites have said.

I reckon Marseille are playing him as a trial for West Ham to show he's worth the money.
  • edited January 2022

IronHerb said:

But DCC isn’t a CF, suppose I should be grateful we appear to be getting someone in.

That old "chestnut" you sound as if you have been talking to David Moyes & the owners getting a press statement ready for late Monday night when our new striker doesn't sign. =)

Kind of insulting, just because someone has a different perspective?
    Can they not legitimately have s different point of view?

A certain irony in your post, given the evident bias in your own.
  • Apparently we put in a 50m bid for Kalvin Phillips, lol.
  • so rejected Raphina's bid so just throw the 50m at Kalvin Phillips instead lol, unreal if true.
  • edited January 2022

Apparently we put in a 50m bid for Kalvin Phillips, lol.

A striker and centre back is the priority and we've reportedly bid £100m for two midfielders 😂

Monday's going to be fun.
  • As with Raphinha, I'd absolutely take Phillips, but no way are Leeds selling him.
  • If true that's like us putting in a bid for Rice.

Speaking of which there is an interesting way of looking at our problem with Rice.

He cost us nothing so in theory if we made him an offer of say 300k per week it would still be much better value than having to buy someone new.

150k per week is I imagine in the region of wage offer made and that is 7.8m per year so if we paid him 300k per year it's 7.8m extra which would be much less than an outlay for his replacement. There is no saying he would accept but a 300k per week contract might be worth a try. He is still young so would also get it back if selling 3 further years into it also, the theory even works at more than 350k but I am aware there are limits on wages paid.
  • The Guardian article about the bids also has us in for Benteke on loan
  • A deep feeling of gloom is descending upon me...
  • Wait till the fat lady sings Moyes loves a late deal then judge the window
  • Raphina and/or Phillips would improve the squad so why not go after them? Just because we need a CB and ST doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking at other improvements.
  • If the Raphinha and Phillips bids are genuine, and Ex says both are, then our strategy is all over the place. CM and AM are two positions where arguably we have the most options.

The bids imply a minimum of £50m is available, which given the values of players we've been heavily linked too, would be enough to address our priority positions.

But we haven't secured any of them.

I'm hoping all will become clear by 11pm tomorrow, but at the moment I'm thoroughly confused as to what our club is thinking right now.
This discussion has been closed.