January Transfer Window

Comments

• Don’t believe the Philips one for one second. Valuing Rice at over £100M and offering half that for his international partner would seem like an insult. All paper talk I reckon because this window nothing is officially coming out of the club.
  • I agree. You can’t publicly say Rice is worth north of £100m then bid half that for Phillips & Raphina.

Don’t believe it at all.
  • Nope me neither.
  • Lingard just posted another pic of him celebrating in our kit last season…
  • It’s the old three card trick innit, we’re all distracted by fake bids and the suddenly the real deal is revealed. Welcome Mo Salah.⚒
  • edited January 2022
    I think DCC will arrive (loan, option to buy) & Diop will leave (loan, option to buy)

I reckon there will be some last minute drama around Lingard coming

A couple of failed striker loan offers on deadline day

That’s it
  • IronHerb said:

Raphina and/or Phillips would improve the squad so why not go after them? Just because we need a CB and ST doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking at other improvements.

I absolutely agree. And I would love to have both players and the quality and depth that they'd bring to the squad. Phillips as a replacement for Noble and Raphinha in for Yarmolenko. Perfect.

But with a CB and ST needed urgently, and with Leeds incredibly unlikely to let either leave, particularly for what we reportedly offered, the bids feel a bit... distractionary.

Hopefully it means we're busy bringing in the players we need.
  • It's odd how Ex is accepted as a reliable source, except when we disagree with him. 😂
  • edited January 2022
    I think his info is correct, but I don’t think it’s as simple as reported. Football is a bit more complex than football manager & I just don’t believe we submitted an official offer for either player. There may have been communication over phone or email & a conversation about what they would be willing to consider, but I just don’t believe those offers as there is no chance either would be accepted.

It also makes no sense to make this public. Gonna be great for our negotiations for other players. ‘You we’re happy to offer £50m for a Leeds player, so you have the money’.
  • edited January 2022
    The cynics would suggest it would make sense for Sullivan to make it public. Fans getting restless over a perceived lack of inactivity, and suddenly we're making record-breaking bids for players that won't be released by their club. It plays perfectly into his 'we tried' narrative.

Of course, it could all just be media click bait. And if, as has been suggested, Ex's genuine sources at the club have dried up and his contact are now mostly agents and people in the media, he could just be recycling fake news.
  • If the Raphinha and Phillips bids are genuine, and Ex says both are, then our strategy is all over the place. CM and AM are two positions where arguably we have the most options.

The bids imply a minimum of £50m is available, which given the values of players we've been heavily linked too, would be enough to address our priority positions.

But we haven't secured any of them.

I'm hoping all will become clear by 11pm tomorrow, but at the moment I'm thoroughly confused as to what our club is thinking right now.

CM is where we have the most options?

But hasn't everyone been saying that we need cover for Soucek/Rice if Kral isn't up to scratch?
  • Something that involves speculation and shirt numbers (sorry Slacker 😉):

A post on KUMB says that Danish media outlets are claiming we've sold Frederik Alves to Bromby.

If true, this frees up the No14 shirt. Which is of course Lingard's number at Man U...
  • If the Raphinha and Phillips bids are genuine, and Ex says both are, then our strategy is all over the place. CM and AM are two positions where arguably we have the most options.

The bids imply a minimum of £50m is available, which given the values of players we've been heavily linked too, would be enough to address our priority positions.

But we haven't secured any of them.

I'm hoping all will become clear by 11pm tomorrow, but at the moment I'm thoroughly confused as to what our club is thinking right now.

CM is where we have the most options?

But hasn't everyone been saying that we need cover for Soucek/Rice if Kral isn't up to scratch?
    In terms of numbers, yes. Rice, Soucek, Noble, Kral and Lanzini have all been played as CMs this season.

If Kral goes, then bringing in another makes sense, but when you compare our CM options to ST options (Antonio and, at a push, Bowen), it's a veritable feast.
  • Something that involves speculation and shirt numbers (sorry Slacker 😉):

A post on KUMB says that Danish media outlets are claiming we've sold Frederik Alves to Bromby.

If true, this frees up the No14 shirt. Which is of course Lingard's number at Man U...

At last, some proper shirt number news!
    All month I’ve been waiting, all month.
  • edited January 2022
    The difficulty with this window is it’s always been for the clubs who are desperate. It’s either one of two things; you need players as the first half of the season has gone terribly or you need players as you have an injury crisis. That’s it. We have neither.

Anybody expecting this to be ‘let’s kick on’ window is going to be disappointed & always will be in January. That’s what the summer window is for. With all our players fit (excluding Ogbonna) & us sitting in the top 5, we are not in one of those desperation positions.
  • Traore on loan to Barcelona until the end of the season with an option to buy

Almost as strange as when we loaned Julian Faubert to Real Madrid
  • Lukerz said:

The difficulty with this window is it’s always been for the clubs who are desperate. It’s either one of two things; you need players as the first half of the season has gone terribly or you need players as you have an injury crisis. That’s it. We have neither.

Anybody expecting this to be ‘let’s kick on’ window is going to be disappointed & always will be in January. That’s what the summer window is for. With all our players fit (excluding Ogbonna) & us sitting in the top 5, we are not in one of those desperation positions.

I'm not sure anyone is wanting 'let's kick on'. What some of us want is 'finish what should have been done in the summer', i.e. sign a striker.

And we have had an injury crisis in defence, which has highlighted that the back ups aren't really good enough. Arguably we can wait until the summer to address those issues, but in doing so we risk finishing outside of the European positions this season, which in turn increases the risk of a) our better players leaving and b) better players being less inclined to sign for us.

I’m not sure I agree with this. A lot of us have bemoaned our back up CM options (Kral getting no minutes, long term Rice replacement, Noble leaving and being 34, Lanzini not being a DM), and our inability to change games from the bench (Vlasic not as effective as hoped, Yarmolenko being useless, people begging for Oko-Flex to be given a try). I think both of them would be amazing signings.

That said, the reason they are weird for me is because there’s absolutely no way Leeds would sell with 48 hours left of the window
  • And certainly not for the money quoted. If we believe Rice to be worth £100M then I would hazard a guess that to them they value Philips somewhere near that.
  • edited January 2022

The Guardian article about the bids also has us in for Benteke on loan

Is Baz the source?
    Lukerz said:

I don’t believe Sullivan has any involvement now in bids. We have Newman. I think believing Sullivan is responsible for any bids going in is wrong. The man is now on the way out & we appointed a Head of Recruitment for a reason.

Do we know that his role though? I viewed his role as basically chief scout. I don’t think he’s a negotiator.

• edited January 2022
    alderz, I'm talking about what we need right now as a priority. Agreed, in the summer we'll need a CM with Noble and, in all likelihood, Kral leaving.

In terms of what we need in this window, to make the most of the current season without Man City levels of money, a CM and AM are not priorities, IMO.

There's no reason, with a PL budget, a Head of Recruitment poached from Man City and an experienced manager, that we can't do businesses this month that benefits us in both the short and long term. Caleta-Car being a good example; what we need now (a LCB to cover Ogbonna) and at 25 someone that can be Zouma's partner for the next five years.
  • The Leeds stuff could be a tactic... By making a phone call to the club, word gets out, players now know there is interest.

If you were the players, would you want to stay at Leeds and be relegated or go to west ham and finish top 6.

Maybe they'll start agitating for a move...
    Might make it more likely we get them in the summer?

Just speculating, obvs.
  • Forget the shirt numbers, I'm missing the "What bag is said player bringing with him when he arrives?"
  • Anyone think we offered 50 million for BOTH the Leeds pair and thats why we got turned down =)
  • Forget the shirt numbers, I'm missing the "What bag is said player bringing with him when he arrives?"

See you get it.
    That’s what I meant ( much much) earlier in this thread, these are just two of the many variables that can scupper deals along with things like “ is there a decent hairdresser nearby” or “ my dog will need three paid holidays a year”.

Not easy is it?

• I hope we make a couple of signings, otherwise I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Bench looks very short on quality these days.

With the window closing tomorrow, we don't even appear close. Can only hope some conversations are going on that haven't leaked.
  • 36 hours until its confirmed that we have to watch Yarmelenko come on to the pitch
  • Diaz has joined Liverpool, surely we should be in for Origi as at £10m we can still then look to find a long term forward option over the next couple of seasons seeing as this seems to be a position that Moyes struggles with.
This discussion has been closed.