January Transfer Window

Comments

• Slacker said:

alderz said:

Slacker said:

Does anyone seriously think that they’re sitting back having a nice cup of tea and not doing anything to sign players that will improve us.
    Really?

I don’t think anyone thinks that, but I think intention isn’t good enough. They have to deliver something, I don’t care if they tried if they then fail to bring players in.
    My point exactly. I can’t believe they haven’t tried. Transfers are not easy, as I said earlier on this thread there are so many variables that can scupper a deal. It’s not as easy as “ Ooh he’s a good player, we should be all over that”.
    Apart from Villa and the murderers in the north-east I can’t think(I know someone will remind me) of many clubs who’ve brought in much.

But, again, I don’t care if they have tried but don’t succeed. They tried last January, they tried in the summer. All their effort is great but if we don’t have a striker it’s not good enough. I know that may sound flippant, but I really believe we’re beyond the “we tried but” line now.
  • The Telegraph's James Ducker reports Manchester United demanded Newcastle pay £16.5m, including a 'survival bonus' and wages, for Lingard.

Well I think that finally puts the "will he, won't he" debate to bed.
  • Well if you take out the unneeded survival bonus and his wages, we probably could afford him.
  • Well if you take out the unneeded survival bonus and his wages, we probably could afford him.

my guess is why pay now when we may get free in summer, which doesn't help much until then

Don't anyone will play for us unpaid. =)
  • edited January 2022
    In my view managing transfer windows to strengthen the team is a part of being the board and the manager. There are two windows a year and the January one is the lesser of the two as you can pay more and have less choice, but there are definitely deals to be done as we have found before regard Bowen and Soucek etc.

Should the club be midtable with not too much to play for I think you would need a good deal to present itself to do much business in the January window, if however you are in a place to still have aspirations for the season then January is a vital window. If you are in a relegation fight you have the opportunity to do something about it, if you are hoping to achieve something from the season and have ambition you have to also use this window.

We at present are in competition for the Europa places, still in the FA Cup and most importantly are in the last 16 of the Europa potentially three two leg matches away from a European Final. This is definitely the most positive place we have found ourselves in for decades, We all know we can't magic anything but I certainly hope that behind the scenes they are trying to move mountains to make something happen, as to reach the Europa matches without back up or competition for Antonio or to be reliant on Zouma remaining fit over such a busy period would show poor performance from those whose job it is to use these windows effectively. Let's hope all involved seize the moment.
  • alderz said:

Slacker said:

alderz said:

Slacker said:

Does anyone seriously think that they’re sitting back having a nice cup of tea and not doing anything to sign players that will improve us.
    Really?

I don’t think anyone thinks that, but I think intention isn’t good enough. They have to deliver something, I don’t care if they tried if they then fail to bring players in.
    My point exactly. I can’t believe they haven’t tried. Transfers are not easy, as I said earlier on this thread there are so many variables that can scupper a deal. It’s not as easy as “ Ooh he’s a good player, we should be all over that”.
    Apart from Villa and the murderers in the north-east I can’t think(I know someone will remind me) of many clubs who’ve brought in much.

But, again, I don’t care if they have tried but don’t succeed. They tried last January, they tried in the summer. All their effort is great but if we don’t have a striker it’s not good enough. I know that may sound flippant, but I really believe we’re beyond the “we tried but” line now.
    In the last window we brought in Zouma, Vlasic ( instead of Lingard as a striker/ attacking midfielder) and Kral on loan.
    From memory I think most were very happy with that.

• Slacker, Still no recognised striker though. ok. I was happy with the business we did but the need for a LB & CF remain.
  • Slacker said:

In the last window we brought in Zouma, Vlasic ( instead of Lingard as a striker/ attacking midfielder) and Kral on loan.
    From memory I think most were very happy with that.

I think, by the time the deals were done, many of us were relieved that we actually managed to do some business, but we only addressed 3 of the 5 issues that desperately needed dealing with. That means we needed a CF and a LB at the end of the last window, so those 2 positions obviously still need players in, and we're minus a starting CB in Ogbonna since the end of the last window, so that's a 3rd player that we need just to have any semblance of a balanced squad.
  • I was happy with the four players we signed, but of those four, only Zouma has become a first team regular. Moyes clearly doesn't trust Vlasic or Kral, so there's a question mark over those signings at the moment, for me at least.

And as Fortune says, we didn't address what the majority saw as the biggest problem; competition for Antonio. Everywhere else on the pitch you could argue there was adequate cover (although even in the summer a few of us had concerns about the LB situation) but I really do think the club has tried hard enough to resolve the problem that they willingly created over 12 months ago.
  • I am specifically talking of strikers when I say business was incomplete.
  • edited January 2022
    But everyone was screaming for a striker last January , Lingard came in it all went quiet, so when Moyes couldn’t get Jesse in the summer he got Vlasic to play that role. Ok Vlasic hasn’t set the world alight yet but he was bought to play Lingard’s role in that system.
  • Neither of them were strikers. We needed and still need a striker. Things went quiet last time because Moyes said he could fill in as a striker. I don't think he did - though he added something else that compensated for a while. It was Bowen who had to go up front when Antonio was out for a bit. Vlasic might come good but he's nothing like Lingard in playing style.

Don't anyone will play for us unpaid. =)
    No, what I meant is, Man Utd aren't going to include his wages in the asking price.
  • Have we actually signed anyone yet?
  • I've offered my M&S gold label tea as their new sponsor but haven't had a reply yet hahaha
  • edited January 2022
    Its not a busy January, these are all the players signed by Premier League teams

FIVE

Watford
    Hassane Kamara £4m
    Samir ???
    Edo Kayembe £4m
    Samuel Kalu £3.5m
    Maduka Okoye (loan back to Sparta Rotterdam)

THREE

Aston Villa
    Lucas Digne £25m
    Philippe Coutinho (loan)
    Robin Olsen (loan)

Everton
    Vitalii Mykolenko £17m
    Nathan Patterson £16m
    Anwar El Ghazi (loan)

TWO

Newcastle
    Kieran Trippier £12m
    Chris Wood £25m

Wolves
    Hayao Kawabe (loan back to Grasshoppers)
    Chiquinho £2.9m

ONE

Brentford
    Jonas Lossl (loan)

Brighton
    Kacper Kozlowski (loaned out to Royale Union St-Gilloise)

Crystal Palace
    Killian Phillips (academy)

Leeds
    Mateo Joseph Fernandez (academy)

Saints
    Willy Caballero (Free)

NONE

Arsenal, Burnley, Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Norwich, Spurs and us
  • ASLEF, Good research. 😁 Wolves have signed Hwang Hee Chan from Leipzig converting his loan.
  • It's deader than a dead thing in here.
  • It's deader than a dead thing in here.

all the action is on the Wordle thread
  • edited January 2022
    So basically Watford, Villa, Everton, and Newcastle have been active.
  • IronHerb said:

So basically Watford, Villa, Everton, and Newcastle have been active.

So 3 teams around the relegation zone, one of which now has the richest owner in the world

And then Villa who have some of the richest owners in football and the highest net spend since they've taken over in all of Europe

It's not easy in Jan, for anyone
  • I would get involved with Wordle but that will be another thing that will give me the hump if I can't complete it.
  • I would get involved with Wordle but that will be another thing that will give me the hump if I can't complete it.

It's not that bad. Even the missus can do it 🤔
  • Brian Deer’s available. =)
  • Apparently Barcelona want Traore (aka doing a "Lukaku") and will offer Wolves a loan back until the end of the season
  • edited January 2022
    Doesn't he play the same position as Ferran Torres, who has much better final product? Unless they're continuing with the Torres as false 9 thing that Pep did. Where are they getting the money from?

• We're 6th on merit with the squad we have

And because we’ve played more games than the teams around us.

It's not that bad. Even the missus can do it 🤔
    Bet she would know how to paste it on here ;)
  • I couldn't even paste it on here.
This discussion has been closed.