January Transfer Window

Comments

• Could be just that Outcast. For example, the talk tonight is that we want DCC on loan. Marseille want £17m. There's not an easy way to square that circle so a deal probably doesn't get done.
  • If they want him, then pony up. What difference does it make between paying now or in 6 months?
  • I appreciate it might be the modern way of doing deals for some but this we'll have him on loan with a view to buy option isn't going to work every time. It's a bit like saying to a butcher can I have a joint of beef to try and if I like it I'll pay for it.
  • I appreciate it might be the modern way of doing deals for some but this we'll have him on loan with a view to buy option isn't going to work every time. It's a bit like saying to a butcher can I have a joint of beef to try and if I like it I'll pay for it.

Or it’s like asking for a taster in the pub, which is perfectly ok
  • alderz, Can I have the name of these pubs? 😁
  • If they want him, then pony up. What difference does it make between paying now or in 6 months?

But you may well end up with another Yarmo.
  • alderz, Can I have the name of these pubs? 😁

Fortune, just about any pub these days. =)
  • I remember pubs something from 2019 I think
  • This whole “try before you buy” thing makes a mockery of the loan system.
  • This whole “try before you buy” thing makes a mockery of the loan system.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the loan system is, personally.

At the moment it is used to:
    1. Give young players playing time at a lower level
    2. Try before you buy
    3. Getting players off the wage bill temporarily
    4. Putting players in the shop window
    5. Allowing rich clubs to stockpile players
    6. Allowing less rich clubs to bring in quality for low money

I feel like football as a whole needs to decide what the loan system is for, and change the rules to reflect that.
  • I think they are trying to bring in a rule where a club can only loan 6 players to stop the big clubs hoovering up loads of players
  • Perhaps John Lewis or Marks & Spencer can become football agents. That way, if you don't like your purchase, you can return it for a full refund!
  • And John Lewis had or still has a never knowingly undersold so should undercut other agents.
  • I think they are trying to bring in a rule where a club can only loan 6 players to stop the big clubs hoovering up loads of players

FIFA are addressing loans.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12520895/transfer-news-fifa-announces-radical-new-loan-plans-that-will-limit-clubs-to-six-loan-exits-per-season
  • edited January 2022
    C&H (I know) are reporting that we've had a record bid for a striker turned down.

DCL? Or a bare faced lie?
  • Cue Yeold. 😂
  • So you reckon YeOld quite fancies DCL then?🤔
  • I really don't get the DCL hype.
  • Hamstew said:

I really don't get the DCL hype.

To be fair, he's a very good looking lad
  • I think DCL's a good striker when he's in the box getting those simple finishes but he needs those chances to be created. Everton stopped doing that after their good start last season. During his year+ of good form, Antonio was doing that as well but once he hit some bad form he started roaming about again. So if DCL can be disciplined about the role, he'd be a good addition.
  • I think DCL is head and shoulders above Antonio.
  • Everton will be about as keen to sell DCL as we are to sell Declan, they're only 4pts above the relegation zone so selling their star player would be insane.

The fans can't be happy they sold Digne just 3 days before they sacked Benitez, if they sold DCL they'd be riots
  • Stuart Pearce has been on TalkSport saying that we're still very much interested in Lingard, but it's up to Lingard and Man U where he spends the next six months.

I wonder if we're waiting on him before making a decision about a striker. Last January Moyes was very vocal that Lingard was considered a striker option, so nothing will have changed on that front.

This has deadline day drama written all over it.
  • IronHerb said:

I think DCL is head and shoulders above Antonio.

A fine head of hair....

Can't personally see this happening....

But personally think for the amount being touted ( £60 million ) could do better....Don't ask me who tho..
  • I've said this before, but I really rate Calvert-Lewin a lot. I think he's good at everything we would want a striker to be good at. He's great in the air, he's very good at holding up play, he's pretty quick, he works hard, he's a decent finisher. I would absolutely love it if we signed him.

BUT

I just don't see it happening. I don't see us forking over the money for him, and I don't see Everton selling him - certainly not mid-season.

The reason that Everton are rumoured to be willing to consider letting him go is that they have overspent a lot in the past few years and need to balance the books a bit, but I can't see that selling your star asset and then running the risk of getting relegated is going to help your bank balance.
  • IronHerb said:

I think DCL is head and shoulders above Antonio.

Nah, that was Joe Hart 😁
  • That's a flakey argument.
  • edited January 2022
    This is supposedly from Ex's Patreon site:

"Following a discussion yesterday, between all that are concerned with West Ham transfers, we are lead to believe that a few offers were submitted for players of which all have been rejected.

I think the club are still looking to do something with Caleta-Carr but prefer a loan move. It may be the case that the club have to take a gamble and try and sign the player, which is what Marseille want them to do. Nikola Vlašić is already said to have spoken to his compatriot about the move.

As covered multiple times this window the French market is very appealing to us both in talent and financial aspects for both defence and forward positions.

Moyes still wants Lingard, this is ongoing and I think could go right to the end but I don’t think the player will opt to join us this month anyway but the club are still going to try until the last minute and then other options that we have listed could be explored.

Moyes still remains keen on other previous targets in the shape of Youssef En-Nesyri of Sevilla although he is at the African Nations at the moment and despite the imminent arrival of Anthony Martial he is unlikely to leave this window and could be a summer target. Eddie Nketiah of Arsenal is another who we have looked at previously, Arsenal are said to be reluctant to allow him to move to us however again because we are challenging them for a top 4 position. The player is available for a free in the summer.

The club are expected to make further enquiries for other players discussed in this meeting. There are often late players who come available due to domino effects elsewhere and the club are not ruling that out again.

Longelo’s potential move to Forest, which we exclusively broke to you all, is still being discussed with other clubs showing an interest in the player as well as other academy players discussing loan moves as we speak too. Longelo could be allowed to leave on a permanent deal and the fee is currently being negotiated. A loan move may also be explored as an alternative."

This bit is a tad worrying:

"Moyes still wants Lingard, this is ongoing and I think could go right to the end but I don’t think the player will opt to join us this month anyway but the club are still going to try until the last minute and then other options that we have listed could be explored"

31 days in the transfer window and the suggestion here is that we're prepared to wait until the last minute, and our entire strategy is dependant on a player who doesn't appear that interested in joining.

And I'm not keen on letting Longelo go given our issues at left back. Looked good in the EL game earlier in the season and someone I thought the club rated highly. The fact that a fee is being negotiated suggests we're happy for him to go.
  • I think he was underused at the Euro's and should have been ahead of Kane. Given the choice of the two for 60m I would take DCL.
  • Can we all .yes you to Mr Moyes let this Lingard thing go and move on
This discussion has been closed.