January Transfer Window

Comments

• It's too early to judge Kretinsky really. This is his first window and probably too soon to see any genuine influence.

Moyes himself has suggested the money is there, whether it's Sullivan's or Kretinsky's, so he seems to be driving this windows (lack of) activity.

Big week for Moyes, this.
  • Broja (Chelsea forward currently on loan with Southampton) and Caleta-Car the latest names to be linked.

It's been about three years now that we've been linked with C-C, who would be a good signing at LCB. Marseille have financial problems so I could actually see this one happening.

Broja seems to have had a decent spell with Southampton, but can't see why Chelsea would be in a hurry to sell him now seeing as he's contracted until 2026.
  • I dont think theyre in a hurry to sell. Potentially taking advantage of the good impression hes made though would make sense.

I mentioned him the other day. He's strong, quick and knows where the goal is. I'd like it if we got him
  • A week left and there is more action on the Wordle thread
  • edited January 2022
    I bet the other West Ham forums see our Wordle thread and think "only those lot..."
  • Bazshuayi said:

I dont think theyre in a hurry to sell. Potentially taking advantage of the good impression hes made though would make sense.

I mentioned him the other day. He's strong, quick and knows where the goal is. I'd like it if we got him

Yes, from what I've seen of him he looks like he could do a decent job for us, but I just can't see it happening. There's apparently no recall clause in his loan so Southampton would want recompense for letting him go early, which presumably would be added to the fee, which Twitter talk suggests it upwards of £20m and they want a buy-back clause.

So we need Chelsea to agree to sell, Southampton to agree to let him leave them early (why would they?), for Sullivan to agree to pay £20m and accept a buy-back clause, and for Broja to want the move.

In short, it ain't happening.
  • If you look at his Wiki entry, there's no way he'll be leaving Chelsea. Also he's another one Spuds have missed out on. Shame =)
  • edited January 2022
    Whatever happened to the rumour about Barbosa from Flamengo? Don’t know much about him, but he sounds like he might be worth a go. He’s obviously been identified, but maybe not right for Moyes?
  • edited January 2022

Next thing you know it'll be on Channel 4 and Terry Christian, Dani Behr, Katie Puckrik plus Amanda de Cadenet will be bidding for a comeback
  • ScotHammer, He probably would be very good but is alleged to be inclined to have a strop so DM won’t like that.
  • I bet the other West Ham forums see our Wordle thread and think "only those lot..."

I think most other forum users would consider us too gentile and well mannered, the Stephen Fry of West ham Forums, drinking their tea from a bone china cup with their pinky finger protruding. I like that it's possible to disagree, debate and have a smile but it's all kept reasonable and the language good.

A doth of the cap to all the Mods
  • edited January 2022
    Broja needs to work on his image

• The tea in question, which Stephen Fry drinks, is M&S gold label tea, just like me.
  • Newcastle could turn to Dele Alli if they can't get Lingard and Sevilla's Diego Carlos if they can't get Tarkowski, Sevilla after Martial on loan (Guardian)

Spurs also looking to sell De Celso (Goal)

Brentford close to signing Christian Eriksen on a 6-month contract (Sky)
  • Still reckon we are signing no one this window. G&S have zero intentions of spending anymore money since they are selling up next year. Kresintsky is hardly going to part with much money until he has actual control.
  • Still reckon we are signing no one this window. G&S have zero intentions of spending anymore money since they are selling up next year. Kresintsky is hardly going to part with much money until he has actual control.

I fear you may be correct re the lack of signings, but don’t think we can blame G&S for this lack of activity. Moyes has said the money has been made available.
  • We just have to surely. Our woefully out of form only striker is in Jamaica playing 3 games during the winter break lol.
  • I'm getting worried. All very quiet.
  • edited January 2022
    I think on twitter ex has implied that the Southampton fella and the Marseille fella rumours are true but we only want a loan for the Marseille fella.
  • edited January 2022
    Jorderz, It's so quiet I can hear a pin drop! It's the lull before the storm of activity isn't it?
  • You mean it's gone a bit Bjork?
  • Hamstew said:

I think on twitter ex has implied that the Southampton fella and the Marseille fella rumours are true but we only want a loan for the Marseille fella.

And Marseille don't want to loan him, so we're in a bit of a pickle.

One assumes (hopes) that Moyes, Newman are Sullivan are working like mad men to get things done, and we're just not seeing it played out so publicly, as it was in the past.

If Moyes is talking up top four, he must know we need players this month to get there.
  • I won't get excited until DG says that we shouldn't go to bed yet

I fear you may be correct re the lack of signings, but don’t think we can blame G&S for this lack of activity. Moyes has said the money has been made available.
    I don't believe it is, to me it feels like "the money is there for David" is on par with when David says "There is no one available at the price we want and we will wait till summer" both are just a complete myth in my view.

Unless the players contract is running out in the summer or publicly comes out wanting to leave to influence the price I highly doubt the price of any player we would target would change from now till Summer other than the price increasing upwards.
  • I’d imagine prices would be higher for pretty much everyone in January, as is commonly reported? Nobody wants to sell prized assets mid season so the prices go up
  • I just don't believe that. I think clubs might be more reluctant to sell than in summer by virtue of having more time to make deals and friendlies to test those players out in, but prices being higher i find that a complete myth.

Put it this way if DCL is valued at this magical 60m I'm willing to bet Summer time that price does not go lower than 60m and if it was to change it would go up.
  • edited January 2022
    For top quality assets, it's different.

But for mid range, their price can be inflated by limited other players available, less time to negotiate deals and play chicken, players running down their contract to get a big signing on fee in summer, clubs in the relegation zone prepared to pay extra to secure their PL status while they still have a chance...

Capitalism 101
  • If clubs are more reluctant to sell.... How will that play out in the market?

Higher prices, obvs.
  • But that's what we are talking about for West Ham, Moyes clearly has indicated he is looking for players that add to the team i.e probably better than the current occupant in that position. That is going to cost a lot of money to achieve that if he is valuing Rice at 200m etc.

I might be wrong but I don't think we are in for Mid Range players. The types of players Moyes wants are probably players to push us to the next level of competing on a regular European front which I would say are Top Quality Assets. Which for the most part, the majority of players we have been linked with are probably some of the best players at their clubs or players already in Champions League teams.

These assets aren't going to decrease in value between now and summer. The Striker, the Left Back, the Centre Back he wants, I'm willing to bet that whichever players he is looking at or wants; unless their contract is up come the Summer time or the player kicks up a fuss and wants out their value is not going down between now and then.
  • alderz said:

I’d imagine prices would be higher for pretty much everyone in January, as is commonly reported? Nobody wants to sell prized assets mid season so the prices go up

I think the assumption is there’s a premium because they’re needed mid season. But I’d be interested in whether there’s actually any comparison of whether prices are higher. You obviously can’t do an exact comparison but maybe some kind of study.

The fact that Moyes has repeated his “we know what we need to get” thing does make me wonder about whether there is a problem in the deals being done. I read that the offer for Gabigol was an 18-month loan which the Brazilian club had no intention of accepting. So maybe there’s an issue it would kind of deals we’re trying to make.
This discussion has been closed.