The Next Transfer Window

Comments

• How many times has Haller been used in a pair? Not too many i would guess. If we want him to be a target man then we should have kept AC and saved £40m. I see Soucek as a box to box player so I wouldn't really want to see him up behind the striker, I'd rather Bowen play that role.
  • Soucek and Rice are developing nicely as a central midfield pairing behind Fornals,, I don't see Moyes messing with that.

Cullen as third choice and Noble as emergency cover until he retires in summer 2021 (as captain holding the FA Cup aloft for that fairy-tale ending)
  • Anderson will be hard to shift

We'd be lucky to get half of what we paid for him, so I think there is a chance he stays (remember that teams were linked for him for £60m after his first season, so worth hoping he pulls it together)

GK: Fab, Randolph, Martin & Roberto. Good for right now, may need to look into it after a year. Let Roberto go whatever way that is doesn't matter.

FB: Fredericks, Johnson, Cresswell, Masuaku. Weakest area of the squad. Sell Masuaku (£8m approx.) and get a new LB. Either promote Johnson to first choice or sell Fredericks (£5m) and get a new RB

CB: Oggy, Diop, Balbuena, Reid. Keep Diop unless we get an offer of £40mil or more, he can be big for us. Oggy also to stay. Balbuena can be moved on (£6m) and so can Reid (£2m) if he is a shell of the player he was. New CB needed.

CM: Rice, Soucek, Noble, Cullen. Have to keep Rice and make Soucek permanent. Need another CM though, Noble should be 4th choice. Promote Coventry? Think sell Cullen (£5m)

AM/WG: Fornals, Lanzini, Snodgrass, Yarmo, Bowen, Anderson, Diangana. Hardest area for us as few have consistently impressed. Bowen is key for us. I think Fornals has got potential to show more for us. Snodgrass won't get much for and his versatility (can play CM) and work rate mean he should stay. Yarmo (£8m), Lanzini (£12m) and Anderson (£25m) aren't bad players, but we could get some money for them. I doubt we'd sell all of them, possibly 1. Wouldn't know how much we'd get though or if there is enough interest. Think Anderson is the least likely to leave due to such a big financial hit on his fee. Diangana can cover whoever leaves. If 2 can go we should look at left wingers (don't think AM is a big deal for the way Moyes plays)

FW: Haller, Antonio, Ajeti, Silva, Hugill: Unless we can recoup the fee, keep Haller. Sell Ajeti (£4m), Hugill (£5m) & Silva (£2m) If we can. Obviously need a new CF

Tried to be fair with the prices I would say we shouldn't accept less than, but if we actively need those listed gone we would likely receive even less. We also don't know if we will get ANY sales. If we don't we have to prioritise:
    1 - Soucek
    2 - Left back
    3 - Striker
    4 - Hope any of Anderson/Lanzini/Balbuena remember how good they can actually be
  • WHU promote Coventry! No thanks they can stay in the Championship.
  • Personally I strongly disagree with classing Antonio as a FW. He can play there, as a last resort, but his decent performances there are the exception rather than the rule as has been shown consistently over the past 3 seasons. He offers much more from AM/WG, because he's much better without his back to goal, and also because he's a different type of option to the Anderson/Lanzini/Fornals type of player.

So not only do we have a mostly ineffective CF when he's played there, we lose his pace and power from midfield. We need at least 2 CF ahead of him as well as maybe a youngster who will hopefully be ahead of him by the end of next season. He should only be classed emergency cover at CF imo, but G&S will undoubtedly use the performance against Chelsea (which was a 1 in ten 9/10 performance) as an excuse to not buy the strikers we need.
  • Those comments Moyes made about Antonio backfired...
  • In what way?
  • Lukerz said:

Those comments Moyes made about Antonio backfired...

I’m a bit confused. Are you saying that Moyes would have wanted Antonio to play poorly instead so we didn’t have to give him a new contract? Because if you are I think you are incorrect.
  • Sorry, just meant more that it had no detrimental impact on his performance so maybe was more a motivational tool?
  • It was more poor reporting, imo.
  • Who do people think is likely to join us for next season? RB - Montiel (River) or Wague (Barcelona). LB Robinson (Wigan). New CB unless Declan plays there, if so new CM alongside Soucek. New striker to support Haller to help get the best out of him & score some goals. Believe there will be a lot of differing opinions on who should leave?
  • If we did shift Anderson and we had to get in a cheap replacement, trying to persuade Willian on a free would be my tip. Hard working player and for me still got it still miffed why Chelsea didn't extend his deal granted they have their 30+ 1 year contract scenario.
  • I don't think there'll be that many deals happening and I don't want to see us losing lots of money selling players in very unusual circumstances. I want to see the team balanced our before it's overhauled. Soucek and Bowen have helped that.

Another striker is the priority alongside fullbacks. Then a left-sided attacker. There are players to sell but I don't think it's smart to offload Anderson or Haller for less than we bought them this season.
  • Yeold, Willian I reckon will go to Spurs if he leaves Chelsea.
  • As ASLEF pointed out the other day, Diangana has played wide left most of the season for WBA.

To be better next year we need to improve in defence, fullbacks and at least one new CB. I think another CM would help, but I’d rather a striker if I had to pick.

Realistically, we need at least four, probably five players in and around the first team
  • Just no prima donna's / has been's / injury freaks PLEASE!..I've said it before, I like the look of players who are hungry to impress from the championship ( Bowen ) or similar ilk....

Soucek does look a very good buy from his last performances...

• What about bringing Rondon back from China
  • I wouldn't be surprised that once we make Soucek permanent we will be looking at sell to buy

Priority list for me
    1 - Buy Soucek
    2 - Sell Masuaku & use that money plus whatever we have left for a new LB
    3- Promote Diangana for the LW spot, Johnson for RB
    4 - Make calls on Hugill (could he suit Moyes system?), Ajeti and Xande. Whoever (all?) Isn't fancied sell and get a new CF as backup

- - - - - - - - - - - Fab - - - - - - - - - -
    Fredricks - Diop - Oggy - New LB
    Bowen - Rice - Soucek - Diangana
    - - - - - - Antonio - Haller - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - Randy - - - - - - - - -
    Johnson - Balbuena - Cordoso - Cressy
    Yarmo - Noble - Wilshere - Anderson
    - - - - - - - - - Fornals - - - - - - - - -
    - - - - - - - - - New CF - - - - - - - - -

Obviously I'd like a new CB, RB and CM but COVID has thrown that out the window
  • Imo sell the following:
    Randolph, Masuaku if money is right, Lanzini, Anderson if money is right, maybe Yarmolenko, Ajeti, maybe Haller, Hugill.

Bring in: New backup goalkeeper, left back, right back, maybe a versatile player who can play both CB/DM, 2 out and out strikers who can hold the ball up and/or run behind.

We should definitely buy Soucek and get Diangana in and around the first team.

If we can tighten up the defence and bolster up our squad depth a little, I think we have a pretty solid team and back up options too.
  • Champo, no mention of Lanzini as either sold or in either 11?
  • welove

I don’t see the logic in selling Randolph to buy another sub keeper, personally
  • alderz said:

As ASLEF pointed out the other day, Diangana has played wide left most of the season for WBA.

To be better next year we need to improve in defence, fullbacks and at least one new CB. I think another CM would help, but I’d rather a striker if I had to pick.

Realistically, we need at least four, probably five players in and around the first team

Forgot about Diangana. I agree mostly. I'm not sure CB is so crucial. We could be improved but I think we have three CBs who have all been good in spells. In a good unit, they'll mostly perform. I think any problems there are more structural than buying another CB.

Regarding buying from the Championship, I'm all for it but I don't think it's always as successful as players like Bowen, Antonio and Cresswell (he was a good signing when we got him in). There's been Hugill and Byram who were completely useless and Fredericks who hasn't been amazing. I'm all for recruiting from the Championship but it has to be very careful because we can end up with even more players who simply aren't good enough and actually aren't even that cheap, a lot of the time.
  • Outcast

Don’t disagree with any of that, but I do feel that a fourth centre back is important. We’re an injury or two away from Rice having to play there and that doesn’t suit us at all. Making Cordoso is the answer, but I’ve never seen him play so....
  • I'd like to see a young goalkeeper on the bench. I don't know who's in the under 23 squad but I think we're lacking in future promise. The young Bournemouth keeper shows promise and may be available after relegation
  • Well, Nathan Trott plays in various England youth set ups, has impressed at Wimbledon, and by all accounts appears to be one for the future. If you want a young keeper I guess it’s him, but I’d be happier seeing him out in loan next year getting 40 games under his belt
  • Champo, no mention of Lanzini as either sold or in either 11?

Was thinking where to put him. Think hes behind Fornals as #10 and Anderson on the left

Snodgrass was another I couldn't place

I suspect we may lose 1 of Yarmo, Anderson and Manu...and think Manu makes the most sense on paper
  • I would like to keep Yarmo, he's the only one of those three who actually tries to score and sometimes succeeds.
  • edited July 2020
    Some sources say we're interested in Dejan Lovren (£10m) but the Times says he's off to Zenit St Petersburg
  • edited July 2020
    Be interesting to see if we can convert Antonio into an out & out striker, instead of a ‘can do a job’ option.

Moyes seems to have the knack of converting wide players into forwards & getting great returns out of them; first Arnie & now Antonio.

I’ve always been critical of Antonio but over the last few games he has been excellent & if we do stay up, I think we can put a lot of that down to his excellent performances at various times of the season.
  • SOUCEK WANTS PERMANENT WEST HAM MOVE

Tomas Soucek says he wants to make his West Ham move permanent if they stay in the Premier League.

Midfielder Soucek, on loan from Slavia Prague, said: "I am enjoying the Premier League because we play against big teams and I’m enjoying every day on the training ground.

"I’m playing with guys that I’ve played with for four or five months but I’m really enjoying it and, hopefully, we’ll be safe and I will be able to enjoy more years here."
This discussion has been closed.