The Next Transfer Window

Comments

• Ravel Morrison was only on a one year contract with Sheffield Utd and that expired at the beginning of July so I guess he's a free agent.

In January he went on loan to Middlesbrough but he's only played three times, he's been left on the bench since the restart, he was dropped from the squad against Millwall and was ill for the last game against Reading.

If you can't get playing time with a team 19th in the Championship then something is very wrong.

Counter argument:

If you’re 19th in the championship and you aren’t playing someone who can dance through the entire Spurs defence and chip Hugo Lloris, then something is very wrong. Maybe that’s why Woodgate didn’t last...
  • More signings like Bowen and Soucek please!!

I liked the look of Johnson, he deserves to show in these last 2 games if he can make a case that we don't need a new RB
  • edited July 2020
    alderz said:

Counter argument:

If you’re 19th in the championship and you aren’t playing someone who can dance through the entire Spurs defence and chip Hugo Lloris, then something is very wrong. Maybe that’s why Woodgate didn’t last...

Morrison only played four times for Sheffield United, three cup games against lower league sides and a 12 minute appearance against Leicester, apart from those he only made the bench once before going out on loan.

So its not just Woodgate, Chris Wilder doesn't seem to have been impressed with what he saw either. He's now played under 20 different managers (this is his second time with Neil Warnock) and none of them seem to think he's worth the trouble

He might have danced through the Spurs defence back in 2013 but seven years later maybe his dancing isn't as good as it was.
  • Dean Ashton was on the radio this morning saying West Ham need to get out of the knack of signing other teams cast offs. He said there are players in the Championship who just need a chance to prove themselves in the Premier League and hopefully from what David Moyes has been saying they are the sort of signings we will be making this window. He has been seen at Charlton today maybe watching Cullen but he could also be scouting Robinson & Kipree of Wigan?
  • There is a few decent youngsters in the Championship we should aim for.
  • We should sign Pelly Ruddock off Luton
  • alderz said:

We should sign Pelly Ruddock off Luton

They’ve also got a left back I like
  • So who are we going to look to sell this summer?

Lanzini?
    Anderson?
    Masuaku?
    Balbuena?
    Ajeti?

Seems we need to raise some funds for Moyes to be able to spend. Soucek has solved us a massive issue but that depend on whether Rice stays. Our midfield is pretty solid how, however we probably need a decent No.10 for next season.

Full-backs need to be sorted, as does LW. Another CB would not go amiss either.
  • edited July 2020
    Depends how we're going to set up imo. If we're flat back four-ing it, then I think Johnson might be able to do a job (with Fredericks as an attacking alternative), but I've real doubts at LB. Masuaku is OK as a LWB, as might Cresswell be, as he adds something offensively with a left foot (although we do now have alternatives), but both are really not disciplined enough as LB for a club like ours that surrenders 60%+ possession on a regular basis.

I say this lightly as I used to like Cresswell a lot, but I'm not sure he's the player he once was before his injury.

CB obviously a concern; we can't afford to have to use Rice there, and, imo, we really need a decent CF. Antonio is NOT the answer imo, he's hit a purple patch, but he's been tried up front by himself many times and has been largely ineffective; we shouldn't let a purple patch disguise the need for an alternative to Haller. When we play Antonio up front, not only do we usually have an ineffective CF, but we lose his effectiveness driving forward from midfield. Especially if we get Diagana back, and have the chance of Anderson returning to any sort of form, a CF is much more important than a LW.
  • West Ham's 16-year-old midfielder Benicio Baker-Boaitey is set to join Bayern Munich and will travel to Germany for talks, having rejected the chance to sign professional terms at the Hammers when he turns 17 in January. (Sun)
  • Lukerz said:

So who are we going to look to sell this summer?

Lanzini?
    Anderson?
    Masuaku?
    Balbuena?
    Ajeti?

Seems we need to raise some funds for Moyes to be able to spend. Soucek has solved us a massive issue but that depend on whether Rice stays. Our midfield is pretty solid how, however we probably need a decent No.10 for next season.

Pretty much spot on imo on who we should look to move on, add to that Cullen, Hugill, Xande and other players who are on the periphery

Left back is priority
    Also need a striker, a AM/winger (dependant on who leaves out of Lanizni/Anderson/Yarmo) and a CB even if Balbuena stays

Would be happy enough letting Johnson and Diangana (for LW) stake a claim for a first team spot if funds are tight (which is likely)
  • Lukerz said:

So who are we going to look to sell this summer?

Lanzini?
    Anderson?
    Masuaku?
    Balbuena?
    Ajeti?

For me, the priorities are a LB (possibly two) and a CB. Cresswell is done at this level, IMO, and Moyes clearly doesn't have any confidence in Balbuena, but we're one injury away from him playing.

Johnson has done well enough in the few games he's played to make me think he's an genuine option at RB, but Fredericks' injury record alone means we may need someone else in.

As you say, the midfield looks to be ok; Soucek and Rice (if he stays) start every game, with one either Fornals or Wilshere (if he stays fit) as the third of three. I would imagine we'd use Noble and Coventry as alternates so I don't think we'll see any money spent in this area.

Where I disagree is LW. Diangana has looked the business, albeit in the Championship, and I'd keep Masuaku as a back-up winger and I'd give Anderson another season.

RW we're ok. Bowen is a starter, but I don't think either Yarmolenko or Snodgrass have much longer at the top level. Not sure Holland is going to cut it in the PL so we could do with someone young and pacy (Watford's Sarr looks ideal, but I suspect he's destined for someone better than us). Personally, I'd go for Matty Cash, who can cover both RW and RB. Obviously we have Antonio that can play there too, but he may be Moyes' first choice striker next season.

Which brings me onto the forwards. Antonio has improved as a striker so possibly worth persevering with, and Haller will hopefully benefit from having more support next season from Bowen and Soucek in particular. Still think we need another option as both Haller and Antonio have had their injury problems.

So, for me, Lanzini, Balbuena, Cresswell, Snodgrass, Yarmolenko, Ajeti and Hugill can go. Possibly Holland, too. What's that, £40-50m with West Ham's selling record? Not sure it's enough to get everything we need, but hopefully we can at least address the glaring issues.
  • edited July 2020
    £40-50m for that lot. That's generous.
  • Lanzini £10m (Once valued at £25mil)
    Balbuena £6m
    Cresswell £4m
    Yarmo £8m
    Snodgrass £6mil
    Ajeti £4m (young enough and good scoring record for Basel)
    Hugill £3m (Done ok in championship this year)
    Holland £2m (plus add-ons)
    About £40mil approx.

Don't think the above fees are unrealistic. Arguably could squeeze a few more mil for a couple. Personally think Masuaku can fetch more than Cresswell so would rather sell him
  • Lanzini £10m (Once valued at £25mil)
    Balbuena £6m
    Cresswell £4m
    Yarmo £8m
    Snodgrass £6mil
    Ajeti £4m (young enough and good scoring record for Basel)
    Hugill £3m (Done ok in championship this year)
    Holland £2m (plus add-ons)
    About £40mil approx.

Don't think the above fees are unrealistic. Arguably could squeeze a few more mil for a couple. Personally think Masuaku can fetch more than Cresswell so would rather sell him

Can't see us getting £6m for either Balbuena or Snodgrass, or £4m for Cresswell tbh. Did we really spend £8m on Ajeti (Wikipedia, so a genuine question, but, if we did, wow)? No idea what he'd be worth seeing as he barely got a look in this season, despite us having no fit CF for a good chunk of it.
  • Transfer fees are inflated these days.

We would get way more than £10m for Lanzini.

Same for Anderson, he’d be around the £20m mark.

Masuaku will be more valuable than Cresswell. He cost us £6m & is now only more experienced at higher level football, so we could probably get around £10m for him.

Balbuena, Cresswell, Ajeti; you won’t get much for those three. I would say around £10m for the three.
  • IronHerb said:

£40-50m for that lot. That's generous.

Lanzini - £10m
    Balbuena - £5m
    Cresswell - £2m
    Snodgrass - £2m
    Yarmolenko - £7m
    Ajeti - £5m
    Hugill - £8m
    Holland - £2m

These were my rough calculations. Hugill is a very good Championship striker, averaging a goal every three games with QPR, so I think £8-10m in the current market is about right. Ajeti is a full international and had a good scoring record at Basle (ave. 1 goal in 2) so I'm sure he would be worth at least £5m to a European team.

If aimed them at the right market, a club should be able to get £40m for those players, IMO. But our track record of selling players has been pretty poor of late.
  • We’ll get £40m for Anderson & Lanzini only.

I don’t think there is any value in selling Cresswell or Yarmolenko, personally.
  • I presume they are waiting to find out which division they’ll be in before any transfer business is dealt with. Highly probable it will be PL but you still never know.
  • Lukerz said:

We’ll get £40m for Anderson & Lanzini only.

I don’t think there is any value in selling Cresswell or Yarmolenko, personally.

There is if we can re-invest in better players, surely.

At a push I'll give you Yarmolenko, he could be useful off the bench, but Cresswell is not good enough for the PL, IMO. If we can get any money for him I'd take it and re-invest in Anthonee Robinson, who from what I've read has a £1.5m release clause.
  • OCS - but I would argue we keep Cresswell as the back up option & sell Masuaku instead, if we were to do that. 👍
  • Yeah, I get that, but if we have Cresswell as back-up and our first choice gets injured, then Cresswell is back on the pitch. I would rather avoid that given how much of a weak link he is.

Masuaku isn't the answer either at LB, but I'd keep him as a back-up winger, especially if we're getting rid of Anderson.
  • I agree Cresswell is not the future at this level, & he has regressed loads of late. I don’t think his performances have been that bad of late. I think he is expected to play a lot of games for us, a bit like Nobes, & after a while you start to decline. Nobody has ever challenged him since he signed. I agree about pushing Masuaku forward more, but that needs to be experimented in in the last two games & pre-season, if we are properly going to convert him.
  • edited July 2020
    I think Anderson will 100% be moved on. When you actually look at his career here, he’s only had a good five months. August 2018-December 2018. Since then, his form has been very poor & his stats for season 1 only look reasonable because he got all those assists/goals in his first 5/6 months. He is not a Moyes player.
  • image, probably because there is nothing to be said against trying to put a deal together. =)

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/are-these-the-big-six-david-moyes-wants-to-sign-as-part-of-red-bull-west-ham-plan/

This quotes a £5 million valuation on Hugill?
  • Moyes trusts Cresswell over Masuaku

Masuaku is worth more than cresswell

Cresswell will be the back up

I dont rate this version of Cresswell at all, but hes good enough to be a back-up
  • "He is not a Moyes player"

Welcome Marouane Fellaini. lol
This discussion has been closed.