The "I know its only September but..." transfer thread

191011121315»

Comments

• The window will probably be no signings in first 3 weeks everyone moans when a player goes somewhere else saying we should have signed so and so then Moyes pulls a few signing out the bag with two days to go and then Sully signs a randomn south american for good measure lol
  • We will also be linked with the entire czech league
  • I hear we are going to enter the MOL Cup next year.
  • The window will probably be no signings in first 3 weeks everyone moans when a player goes somewhere else saying we should have signed so and so.

Can I please reserve the space to be first to comment on the thread to say this as I will. =)

• edited December 2021

The window will probably be no signings in first 3 weeks everyone moans when a player goes somewhere else saying we should have signed so and so then Moyes pulls a few signing out the bag with two days to go and then Sully signs a randomn south american for good measure lol

Unfortunately true, but it's hardly going to help our performances throughout January if they don't sign till deadline day. We say it every window, deficiencies in the squad are always glaringly obvious for weeks if not months beforehand, but we never move till the end of the window as we try and haggle a better deal, conceivably dropping points in the meantime.
  • I’m curious to find out if our business looks any different now we have Kretinsky on the board
  • CB / LB / Striker would be ideal even if loans.
  • The window will probably be no signings in first 3 weeks everyone moans when a player goes somewhere else saying we should have signed so and so then Moyes pulls a few signing out the bag with two days to go and then Sully signs a randomn south american for good measure lol

Unfortunately true, but it's hardly going to help our performances throughout January if they don't sign till deadline day. We say it every window, deficiencies in the squad are always glaringly obvious for weeks if not months beforehand, but we never move till the end of the window as we try and haggle a better deal, conceivably dropping points in the meantime.
    C&H are reporting that Moyes and Newman haven't even submitted their list of targets to the board yet.

It's been seven weeks or so since Ogbonna was ruled our for the season. A replacement for him and competition for Antonio should already be lined up, IMO.

As with everything C&H, it has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but with a Head of Recruitment in place and the holes in the squad obvious and, in some instances, long-standing, I'd be disappointed if we didn't have early deals in place.
  • "C&H are reporting that Moyes and Newman haven't even submitted their list of targets to the board yet."

Or they're keeping their cards close to their chests. ;)
  • edited December 2021

The window will probably be no signings in first 3 weeks everyone moans when a player goes somewhere else saying we should have signed so and so then Moyes pulls a few signing out the bag with two days to go and then Sully signs a randomn south american for good measure lol

C&H are reporting that Moyes and Newman haven't even submitted their list of targets to the board yet.

It's been seven weeks or so since Ogbonna was ruled our for the season. A replacement for him and competition for Antonio should already be lined up, IMO.

As with everything C&H, it has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but with a Head of Recruitment in place and the holes in the squad obvious and, in some instances, long-standing, I'd be disappointed if we didn't have early deals in place.
    Early deals don’t make sense because deals become available for better players at the end when situations get desperate. Look at Zouma. Rumour was he didn’t fancy coming to us earlier in the summer & we couldn’t afford him/his wages, but less than a week before the end of the window & the deal was possible. I’d rather this approach than ‘get a load of average players available in as soon as possible’ (although I am not saying you can’t get good players in early).

I also doubt Newman needs to submit a list to the board. The whole point of a Head of Recruitment is that he does the identifying & negotiating on the boards behalf & they should provide the money. So at some point Newman may say ‘Sully, you got £15m for this player’. I highly doubt he is meant to submit a player list to the board to do the negotiating. Moyes could do that. Makes his appointment pointless.
  • Lukerz said:

I also doubt Newman needs to submit a list to the board.

I was thinking this, Lukerz.

Before he's criticised for not having a list of targets ready, let's find out if he actually does.
  • I think it could be summed up as “ nobody actually knows anything “.
  • It's not about rushing in Lukerz. It's about using the time between windows to identify players and negotiate for them. I get that you can sometimes get a better deal late in the window, but going early doesn't mean you're rushing in blind.

For example, Everton identified a requirement for a left back and have, by all accounts, lined up a deal for Mykolenko to be signed tomorrow. All the donkey work was done between windows, and there was nothing stopping us from doing the same. If C&H is to be believed (debatable, I know), it sounds like we're waiting for the 1st January before we even begin talking to clubs and players.

Like you, I don't want players early just for the sake of it, but equally we've had nearly 12 months to scout a suitable striker and seven weeks to identify a suitable centre back, both of which could help us get more points in January and progress in the cup if we get them early.
  • edited December 2021
    I don’t think our scouting department ( such as it is) sits around on it’s collective bum from September to Dec 31st and then goes to work on Jan 1st.
    If they do I wouldn’t mind that gig.
  • We definitely need a new striker & this is not so we look round & say ‘Antonio’s hamstring could go’ as he has now played half the season, but Moyes did reference knowing the right time to leave him out to manage him & this hasn’t happened. Ironically, after missing the Spurs cup game & the first half v Southampton, he has actually looked fresher in the minutes he has played since. It is more important to get a striker in not to cover for any injuries but to allow us to leave him out for a week if needed. When Antonio’s performances drop for a couple of games, he tends to then need a game on the bench or out the squad just to recharge & go again.
  • Transfer window is open
  • Have we signed someone yet?
  • Wishing all on here an endless flow of three points. A happy and COVID free New Year everyone.
  • 'ave we bought anyone yet?
This discussion has been closed.