The "I know its only September but..." transfer thread

Comments

• I’m not sure he’s earned it though. He had a good performance against us by bullying Haller (let’s not go into why) but don’t think he was anything more than a very average PL CB in his other games. He’s been associated with quite a high fee that is not deserved given he hasn’t really proven himself.

To me he just seems like a younger version of Dawson who doesn’t really play like he’s a younger version.

• Reece Oxford has 3 goals this season 👀
  • Outcast, Much as I was disappointed to see him leave, and I know one player doesn’t make a team, have you seen where Augsburg are in the league? 👍
  • The scary thing is we have only just hit the beginning of the very busy Christmas period. Have to hope we do not run into anymore injuries.
  • He is now getting minutes and seems to be having a good impact. Everton bought Godfrey after that awful Norwich season! I don't think we could've stopped him leaving but I think probably mistakes were made that set expectations too high and led to him wanting to play. To be 22 and getting regular minutes in a major league as a CB is still impressive, even if the team isn't doing well. I find it so hard to comprehend how young he still is given how long ago that Arsenal game was.

At the end of the day, he was going to go but it's just a shame. Imagine if we had him here with us now to fill that CB spot!
  • edited December 2021
    Ok, so in the summer my perfect window consisted of 8 positions, we got 5 of them and it was a fantastic window. The 3 we didn't get were two strikers and a left back. With the CB situation it's really tough because if we sign someone permanently we will have 5 in the summer and I don't think any deserve to be given the chop. That said, my preferred option of the names mentioned will only be possible as a permanent imo. So, my perfect January?
    • LB - Unsure - need our scouts to find a gem in Europe for under £10m. I'm sure there's good left backs out there that we haven't heard of. Something like the Coufal signing.
    • CB - Tarkowski
    • St - Lingard - I was wary originally as I didn't want Lanzini's chances hindered even further but I think he's done enough lately to not have to worry about players coming in. Plus Lingard is striker/AM whereas Lanzini is CM/AM so different now anyway.
    • St - Unsure - this is really hard as we need a like for like for Antonio. Someone who allows us to play the same way but will challenge for a starting spot. He needs to be fast, strong and hard working, I'm not sure who fits it.
  • I personally don't rate him, don't think he'd work particularly hard but most importantly I don't think Liverpool would let him go. He's scoring goals and they're losing Mane and Salah to ACON.
  • St - Unsure - this is really hard as we need a like for like for Antonio. Someone who allows us to play the same way but will challenge for a starting spot. He needs to be fast, strong and hard working, I'm not sure who fits it.

That’d be Traore at Wolves.
    Perfect fit.
  • eskimoking,

Do we need two strikers?

Any money we have should be put to buying a striker and now a centre half or utility defender. We could try to get the latter in on a loan deal if there is a belief one of the young ch we already have is going to be able to play in the first team in the years to come? I expect there are a few bargains to have in Lique Une but some will be off the AFCON so wouldn't be able to play until early February? Buying British comes at a premium although they would know the league.
  • Haller scores again for Ajax..... Just saying
  • Slacker said:

Perfect fit.

No, not imo. For a start, he's not a striker.
  • edited December 2021

eskimoking,

Do we need two strikers?

Any money we have should be put to buying a striker and now a centre half or utility defender. We could try to get the latter in on a loan deal if there is a belief one of the young ch we already have is going to be able to play in the first team in the years to come? I expect there are a few bargains to have in Lique Une but some will be off the AFCON so wouldn't be able to play until early February? Buying British comes at a premium although they would know the league.

The key bit I said is "perfect" window. Do we need 2? No probably not. Should we be getting 2? Imo absolutely yes. Obviously I would be happy with youngsters getting game time if they're ready instead, I don't really care where they come from but we need more competition in that position.
  • MrsGrey said:

Slacker said:

Perfect fit.

No, not imo. For a start, he's not a striker.
    Neither was Antonio or Arnie.

• Maybe he could change his name to A-Traore...
  • I’m not saying that we can get him just that I think he would be ideal for us , especially if Moyes works his magic on him.
  • I would love to see Andrea Belotti as the striker - hard working, experienced, mobile, won't give up
  • Not keen on Traore myself. He is quick and strong but his end product is questionable, just like Antonio.
  • IronHerb said:

Not keen on Traore myself. He is quick and strong but his end product is questionable, just like Antonio.

His output is way worse than Antonio's, even before he was moved to CF. The only real similarity is their build, physicality and speed; in terms of ability Antonio is streets ahead.
  • I'd say its end product rather than ability. Traore is ridiculous picking up the ball, running with it and beating players. But he's totally poor doing anything dangerous with it (like scoring or assisting :) )
  • I agree he is still a bit of a raw talent but Moyes has done it before.
  • So how much would Traore cost in the EPL market? One of the two Lille strikers would be cheaper IMHO.
  • The one thing about Traore that might help us is that he is basically unstoppable when running with the ball, and whilst he can’t cross or shoot very consistently, what he can do is kick the ball against a defender and win a corner. Craig Dawson could end up with double figures!
  • despite his obvious flaws, hes been constantly linked with decent clubs and Wolves I bet will be asking a hefty fee (30M+ IMO). Even at 25M thats still too much again IMO. I'd rather we shop elsewhere and hope we find a young Antonio type striker
  • Osimhen might be a good shout.
  • Have we really put in a bid for Eden Hazard (before Jan window)... Also, have we really been told to double our offer? Lastly, would we want him on our left side? ;)
  • If we can afford him and he wants to come to West Ham then it's very clear he is no longer the Eden Hazard who left Chelsea.
  • I would hazard a guess we have not, more of a barcode signing
  • God, Hazard's stock must have fallen if he is going to join Notts County!
  • edited December 2021
    Not a transfer, but Nico Schira - Tier 2 Twitter ITK - is reporting Antonio will sign a new deal until 2024.

A 34-year-old Antonio banging them in over the bar in the CL.
This discussion has been closed.