The "I know its only September but..." transfer thread

Comments

• So competition for places is secondary to wages.
  • So competition for places is secondary to wages.

In terms of them deciding where to work, yes.
  • So wages are more important than competition for places which has already been equated to motivation.
  • edited December 2021
    Your comment is illogical.

Alderz was referring to factors that influence where a player signs. You are talking about motivation to play well/reach the highest levels of performance ( or at least, that's the context in which motivation was first raised.)

Also, the idea that players are currently lacking motivation has no grounds in evidence. So it's a moot debate
  • MrsGrey said:

Your comment is illogical.

Alderz was referring to factors that influence where a player signs. You are talking about motivation to play well/reach the highest levels of performance ( or at least, that's the context in which motivation was first raised.)

Also, the idea that players are currently lacking motivation has no grounds in evidence. So it's a moot debate

I thought that Alderz dodged the question by introducing another factor.

On the previous page there are several posts conflating motivation and lack of competition.
  • I lost it at page 10 hahaha
  • So.... Is this still the transfer thread? (mmmm transfers)
  • edited December 2021
    Centre back, left back, striker.

And maybe Lingard.

Although Vlasic is starting to show signs that he's getting there so maybe not.

I think we need a PL ready centre back to come in straight away, given the performances of Dawson and Diop. Can we risk bringing in someone new to the league and expect them to step up immediately? Tarkowski or Phillips would probably be better options than, say, Celeta-Car, in the short-term at least.
  • Ideally we need a left sided CB if we're going to trump up a lot of cash (can't see it happening though), as Ogbonna is getting on a bit anyway.

Obviously we really need a LB, as we miss Cresswell desperately when he doesn't play (and, again, he's no spring chicken); Masuaku just can't defend, and Johnson shouldn't be expected to cover there as he's as RB pure and simple.

Equally obviously we need, as we have done for more than the last 2 windows, an alternative to Antonio up front.

Unfortunately I can't see the required £60-80m materialising.
  • Thiago Silva is 37.

Ogbonna's age isn't the issue, imo.
  • CB is the biggest worry

Dawson and Diop as a pair just aren't good enough, they are ok when paired with an Ogbonna or Zouma they'll do ok but together they aren't good enough

LB is also a problem but don't see LB as dropping us points whereas the CB issue is

We're scoring plenty but a back up striker obviously wouldn't go a miss, not sure what will be available, would be happy if we can bring in Lingard
  • A Striker and a CB have to be the two priorities.
  • MrsGrey said:

Thiago Silva is 37.

Ogbonna's age isn't the issue, imo.

Thiago Silva is a different class to Ogbonna though. Not many CBs will be able to adapt at his age like him, especially after a serious injury like Ogbonna’s. I think a loan move is the most sensible and I like the idea of Ake.

Dawson and Diop really struggle with each other. Communication is just off. It was the same last season. Unless Zouma is back soon we need another CB.

A striker is essential.
  • Ake. I knew there was someone missing from my earlier comment.

Ake, Phillips, Tarkowski, in that order.
  • I know it’s been said many times before but there must be good additions to come in at CF & LSD (CH/LB) from Europe who would be better value than an existing EPL player. Although that would mean they wouldn’t already know the PL. 👍
  • Marseille’s DM Boubacar Kamara is quality and has played CB plenty. He’s on a free in the summer so might be cheap in Jan. Rumours of Man U being after him but who knows. It would be worth chasing I think. Could cover CB and then is a much better player than Kral in my opinion so could come in and help our midfield.
  • Zouma could be back start of Feb according to Ex
  • Lukerz said:

Zouma could be back start of Feb according to Ex

Hopefully, but it shouldn't stop Moyes from bringing another CB in. And that's the fear, because Moyes is very pragmatic, but it's too big a risk not to, IMO.
  • edited December 2021
    A new CB is ok, but I don't think it's realistic to want an addition to the squad. Clubs generally don't keep 5 first choice CBs on the books ... 4, yes, with a few kids/ makeshift arrangements. Any new player has to be a replacement, therefore ... One in, one out. So unless we can sort out a move for a current player, I don't see the point. And on that basis, is it really a priority, in the January market when players are vastly overpriced. Imo, no

' too big a risk' ? I don't think it is.
  • Oh yeah, should definitely still bring a CB in. I think one will be enough if Zouma is due back around February.
  • I don't think Dawson's good enough and I'm not sure where Diop is going with us. He has time to improve but he hasn't for a while and might need to do it elsewhere. So a CB should be to replace them.
  • edited December 2021
    We need a loan CB to get us to the end of the season then address the CB problem then.

Striker has to come in this window, it didn't last Jan when we needed one and sold Haller, it subsequently didn't come last Summer when we absolutely needed one. Even if again its another loan to buy type deal.
  • MrsGrey said:

A new CB is ok, but I don't think it's realistic to want an addition to the squad. Clubs generally don't keep 5 first choice CBs on the books ... 4, yes, with a few kids/ makeshift arrangements. Any new player has to be a replacement, therefore ... One in, one out. So unless we can sort out a move for a current player, I don't see the point. And on that basis, is it really a priority, in the January market when players are vastly overpriced. Imo, no

' too big a risk' ? I don't think it is.

Well the point would be to improve our chances of finishing top six. We're not under any threat of relegation so Diop and Dawson can see the season out, obviously, but if they play the majority of the remainder of the season then top six and European qualification is unlikely, IMO. Signing a better CB than either of those two gives us a better chance of another EL campaign and would mean there's less pressure to rush Zouma back.

Ultimately, the way I see it, Ogbonna needs replacing in the short and long term. If we can do it in January, then I think we should.
  • Right, it's nearly 100% agreement. So we can expect a couple of right backs and an extra winger anytime now. 'Ones for the future' 😉
  • New CB & CF. Rumours are Diop is wanted by a couple of clubs so if he left we would need another one. Some might say the striker could even replace Antonio! 😉
  • I think EPL rules say that Clubs can't have ore than two players on loan at any given time and can make a maximum of four loan registrations in a season. We already have Areola and Král on loan. So the only way to get a CB on loan would be either release one of these or sign one of them.

CB is a crucial position and we need someone who can walk straight into the team. That would suggest someone with EPL experience or someone at the top of his game in the Championship.
  • edited December 2021
    I think you can have more than two loans, I think the key is whether they are domestic or not. Fulham had Maja, Loftus-Cheek, Areola & Anderson last season (off the top of my head only).
  • The maximum 2 is for loans from other English clubs - I don’t think the foreign loans is limited.
  • Think Tarkowski is the obvious one

Moyes obviously fancied him at some point, 29 years old, prem experience and only 6-months left on his contract

Not the left sided CB we want, but he's he's improvement over Dawson and Diop (I think) and isn't young enough to block the futures of Alese or Baptiste

Ake is a no go, he isn't a first teamer but he's a solid squad player for City and they'll want him around
  • Not sure Ake is going to be a goer given Newman’s connections at City & him being placed on gardening leave until after the window. Doubt they’ll do him any favours.
This discussion has been closed.