The "I know its only September but..." transfer thread

Comments

• 🤔 The very fact that surgery was an option makes me worry that he's coming back too soon. I would have thought the alternative to surgery is prolonged rest. Being back on the grass already makes me a little nervous that he'll be rushed back.

I would’ve thought that when your dealing with a top international player worth zillions,that all avenues would be explored, but then I’m not part of the medical team.

• No doubt Slacker, but it's not as if we don't have history with this kind of thing. Antonio was brought back too early on a number of occasions and got injured again quickly.

We all hope that won't be the case with Zouma, but it's something to be conscious of.
  • Slacker said:

Any transfer rumours?? Surely someone must have heard from their butcher whose brother delivers milk to David Moyes's house that he overheard a conversation saying we are buying a Canadian striker from France. =)

OCS is your man mate.

Not any more. I'm off Twitter now so will only see speculation on here.
  • edited December 2021
    Wasn’t Zouma a hamstring injury? Was not far off the knee area but it was a hamstring tendon injury. I don’t know much about sport injuries but I would imagine the surgery option was on his muscle area where they have elected for it to heal naturally. His injury is going to be in the connecting muscles that link his knee area to his hamstring area. I would say that’s more low risk than a knee injury (ACL) where surgery is probably the only sensible option (see Ogbonna).
  • Tendon=what connects a muscle to a bone. (eg Achilles tendon).
    Tendons are quite good at healing without surgery.

Ligament = connects bone to bone (or cartilage). (eg cruciate ligaments)
    In the knee, the ligaments have a much more vital job, and a tear or rupture (in an athlete) almost always requires surgery as the knee becomes dangerously unstable and regularly needs to cope with a wider range of motion, and there are more bits being 'held together' by ligaments in the knee.
  • While we're at it. I have a twinge in my lower back. Any suggestions? 😂
  • A Back Transfer, loan with an option to buy should do the trick.
  • I think Diop is playing himself into a transfer for the summer, just not working for him here. If we could recoup what we paid for him and try another defender I would be looking at doing that in the summer.
  • IronHerb said:

While we're at it. I have a twinge in my lower back. Any suggestions? 😂

Transfer out Maguire and you wont have to lean forward wondering why he's in your team?
  • Probably won’t rank as major transfer news but Callum Marshall who plays for Linfield in the Irish League is set for a big move to the Premier League after signing a three-year deal with West Ham.

The 17-year-old broke into the first team earlier this season and scored his first goal for the Blues against PSNI last month in the League Cup.

Marshall will join the Hammers in the January transfer window.

• Zouma was reported to be out for up to 12 weeks three weeks ago, so that would see him returning at the end of February at the very latest.

Yesterday Moyes said that Zouma was "doing really well" and was "well ahead of schedule" so maybe January sometime

Moyes will loan in a CB with an option to buy
  • I really feel he will want a permanent CB..
    IMO Ogbonna has possibly seen his best days, it’s a shocker of an injury and sadly think he will struggle in the future to get back to his former self, his age, albeit not past it, but not that young for this injury….
    I also feel Diop sadly is not the answer, he’s still young and has time on his side, but he’s unconvincing at times and reckon Moyes probably feels the same…
    CB and striker are top targets plus a LB….
    This injury to Cresswell is possibly the most worrying for me…
  • Something to keep in mind is that you are only allowed to register three new players in January for UEFA competitions. So, any more than that at Moyes would have to choose which three he wants in Europe
  • I'd be amazed if we sign 3 players.
  • I'd be amazed if we sign 3 players.

So would I, but I’ve seen a lot of posts (mostly elsewhere) listing 4/5 players and saying that this is the perfect window.
  • edited December 2021
    alderz said:

Something to keep in mind is that you are only allowed to register three new players in January for UEFA competitions. So, any more than that at Moyes would have to choose which three he wants in Europe

Really can't see that being an issue somehow. We only seem to enter the market in January when we're really desperate; 3 players (good enough to warrant inclusion) would be an amazing window imo, and one we're unlikely to witness.
  • edited December 2021
    alderz said:

Something to keep in mind is that you are only allowed to register three new players in January for UEFA competitions. So, any more than that at Moyes would have to choose which three he wants in Europe

alderz said:

Really can't see that being an issue somehow. We only seem to enter the market in January when we're really desperate; 3 players (good enough to warrant inclusion) would be an amazing window imo, and one we're unlikely to witness.
    We have 23 on the 'A' List including Ogbonna, Randolph and Martin so plenty of wriggle room available.
  • edited December 2021
    Previous Moyes Januarys

Signed
    Jordan Hugill (Carroll and Hernandez not doing well)
    Oladapo Afolayan
    Patrice Evra (signed a week after Masuaku was handed a 6 match suspension)

Loaned
    Joao Mario

Signed
    Aaron Bowen
    Darren Randolph (to replace Roberto)

Loaned
    Tomas Soucek

Signed
    Said Benrahma from loan
    Signed Frederick Alves

Loaned
    Jesse Lingard

The evidence speaks for itself
  • ASLEF

Aaron Jarrod Bowen. Fixed it for ya. ;)

Can Frederik Alves (CB) be recalled from Sunderland?
  • IF the rumours are right about allowing four to go, which include two full backs, then I would hope we would get the 3 needed to address the CB & LB issue plus a new CF. Loans or otherwise I will be concerned if we don't sign three new players.
  • edited December 2021

IF the rumours are right about allowing four to go, which include two full backs, then I would hope we would get the 3 needed to address the CB & LB issue plus a new CF. Loans or otherwise I will be concerned if we don't sign three new players.

Fredericks is clearly not part of the Moyes masterplan, I could see Randolph wanting away and Yarmolenko will leave on a free in the summer but four including another full back is nonsense

ASLEF

Aaron Jarrod Bowen. Fixed it for ya. ;)

Can Frederik Alves (CB) be recalled from Sunderland?

Thanks
    Alves hasn't played since 8 November, he's not even guaranteed a place on the bench at Sunderland in League 1 so I doubt if he's ready for Premier League football
  • IronHerb said:

alderz said:

alderz said:

We have 23 on the 'A' List including Ogbonna, Randolph and Martin so plenty of wriggle room available.
    Just to be clear, as far as I am aware, there is a UEFA rule that you only add / replace 3 players in your squad in January. So even if there are still spaces in your 25 man squad, you can only make 3 changes to your Champions / Europa / Conference League squad mid season.

*Yes I am basing this knowledge off of an adverse Football Manager experience*
  • I'd be amazed if we signed more than three, even if we let a few go.

Randolph is expendable, given we have Fab, Areola and Martin on the books, as is Fredericks (Coufal, Johnson and Ashby). Those two can go without having to be replaced.

Yarmolenko offers so little that his place in the squad can be taken by Oko-Flex or Perkins without much impact.

So I think at most it'll be three; striker, centre back and left back. Personally, I think it'll only be the first two.
  • From the UEFA website

"Ahead of the round of 16, by 24:00 CET on 2 February, clubs can register a maximum of three new players"
  • Still hoping for Jesse.
  • edited December 2021
    Ex has told West Ham Way that we're looking at Derby youngsters Lee Buchanan (20yo LB, England U21), Jason Knight (20yo LM/CM/RM/LW/AM/RW, 8 full caps Ireland) and Max Bird (21yo DM/CM).

Derby are skint so they'd be cheap

90 mins reckon that City are not keen on selling Nathan Ake as they don't want to help out a rival Premier League team mid-season. In the Evening Standard Moyes mentioned that there are players he's interested in but they aren't for sale (or at least not at a price he's willing to pay) and Ake seems to fit that category

Other CBs 09 mins claim we're looking at are QPR's Rob Dickie, Boro's Dael Fry and Bournemouth’s Lloyd Kelly.
  • The Telegraph ran an ‘exclusive’ article a couple of weeks ago saying Moyes wants Lloyd Kelly so I imagine that could have some legs to it.
  • ASLEF said:

Alves hasn't played since 8 November, he's not even guaranteed a place on the bench at Sunderland in League 1 so I doubt if he's ready for Premier League football

It makes me wonder what's the point of him staying at Sunderland if he's not getting game time.
  • Going by what Moyes has said, we won't be signing anyone.
  • edited December 2021

Going by what Moyes has said, we won't be signing anyone.

Moyes always does this. He’s one of the best at this side of the game.

Watch whenever we win a game, his comments after are always along the lines of ‘we could have done better’, even if we’ve played really well. If a player is outstanding, it’s always ‘I felt he could have done this a bit better’. When we lose, even if we are dreadful, he‘ll make a comment to say ‘we were not too bad today’.

It’s the same with signings. He doesn’t want clubs thinking we are desperate or players thinking we are desperate & he also probably wants to create an air of calm in what can be a hectic & chaotic month.
This discussion has been closed.