The "I know its only September but..." transfer thread

Comments

• I know Nat Phillips has been suggested by some as a CB option in January. I just saw this on the BBC and thought I'd share, as I think it's crazy money.

Liverpool will let defender Nathaniel Phillips leave if their valuation of £15m is met in January report the Athletic.

The 24-year-old centre-back has made only three appearances this season and is keen to get more game time.

Newcastle and West Ham are among the Premier League sides said to be interested in Phillips

• Yeah I think that's why they couldn't sell him in the summer. They're trying to get a lot of money of an inexperienced Craig Dawson.
  • Must admit, I referred the rumours about Ake, doubles cover as a similar skill set to Cresswell, but significantly better in the air.
  • Similar to Cresswell in some ways, but he's not a crosser like Cresswell is. I think he'd be a great successor to Ogbonna though.
  • Always liked Ake for Bournemouth, I think they were weaker once they sold him.
  • Maybe we can try and get him on loan, game time for him and cover for us. If it works then get him in the summer to replace Ogbonna
  • edited December 2021
    Newsandcastle will be sniffing round Ake to get the Bournemouth boys back together. I reckon we should be trying to buy not loan though
  • Buying is good as long as you think they will be a long term better option than what we have. But we don't want to end up with a player we are stuck with for ages who is a drain on the wage bill once our 'main' player is back.
  • Would they be the same Bournemouth boys who took them down? 😄
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59632176

Interesting article about Traore. Could Moyes get more out of him or is he a hopeless case?
  • You'd think his coaches (past/present) would analyze why he shoots and passes poorly. Technique wise (maybe composure too) surely they could tinker (and dont call me surely) as he's frightening in terms of physique and pace. Could you imagine him and Antonio taking turns to frustrate us :)
  • Stay well away imo.
  • Moyes could turn him into a cult hero at our place.
    If we could get him for a decent fee I’d definitely take him.
  • I think we need to buy a ready made striker and stop trying to make strikers out of players who aren't strikers. We've done this with Arnie and Antonio with some success but neither of those have that natural instincts that strikers have.
  • Adama Traore must be such a frustrating player to have playing for your side. He is genuinely one of the best at running the ball up the pitch on a counter than pretty much anyone I've ever seen. His pace and strength is incredible.

However, his technique is pretty atrocious. And by that I mean his shooting, passing, crossing, assisting, trapping the ball etc. Also, his defensive work rate is often poor, his positioning often is well out, and his decision making is so frequently just plain bad.

Ultimately he is 25. I'm not sure if you can teach much more basic technique now if he hasn't learnt it already from being a pro footballer for all his adult life. He was in the Barca accademy from 8(?!) and with them until 19, if he can't learn technique and get a 'football brain' there over that period, he's not getting it anywhere.

An immense athlete though. And incredible to watch flying up the field.
  • Adama Traore must be such a frustrating player to have playing for your side. He is genuinely one of the best at running the ball up the pitch on a counter than pretty much anyone I've ever seen. His pace and strength is incredible.

However, his technique is pretty atrocious. And by that I mean his shooting, passing, crossing, assisting, trapping the ball etc. Also, his defensive work rate is often poor, his positioning often is well out, and his decision making is so frequently just plain bad.

Ultimately he is 25. I'm not sure if you can teach much more basic technique now if he hasn't learnt it already from being a pro footballer for all his adult life. He was in the Barca accademy from 8(?!) and with them until 19, if he can't learn technique and get a 'football brain' there over that period, he's not getting it anywhere.

An immense athlete though. And incredible to watch flying up the field.

He should be a winger for the Spanish rugby team tbh
  • edited December 2021
    Can you really imagine a PL footballer playing rugby and getting tackled for the first time. Mind you I'd love to see it. =)
  • alderz said:

He should be a winger for the Spanish rugby team tbh

He would be awesome at it. Doubt he'd get the same wages though...
  • Can you really imagine a PL footballer playing rugby and getting tackled for the first time. Mind you I'd love to see it. =)

Who would I select if I was coming up with a sevens team out of current Premier League footballers? Great question, thanks for asking.

Adama Traore, Tomas Soucek, Antonio Rudiger, Takehiro Tomiyasu, Craig Dawson, Chris Wood, Ederson
  • Surely you would have Antonio as your kicker. I mean he does hit everything way over the bar.....
  • IronHerb said:

Surely you would have Antonio as your kicker. I mean he does hit everything way over the bar.....

I thought that was Bobby Z
  • With Bobby Z, the clue is in the name.
  • alderz said:

Can you really imagine a PL footballer playing rugby and getting tackled for the first time. Mind you I'd love to see it. =)

Who would I select if I was coming up with a sevens team out of current Premier League footballers? Great question, thanks for asking.

Adama Traore, Tomas Soucek, Antonio Rudiger, Takehiro Tomiyasu, Craig Dawson, Chris Wood, Ederson
    We didn’t ask.
  • alderz said:

We didn’t ask.
    You’re welcome
  • David Ornstein reporting that Lingard wants to stay and fight for his place at Old Trafford.

Didn't realise it was July again.

But if it's true, what does that say about Lingard? Can't see him getting any minutes under Ragnarok, or whatever his name is, so what's the plan? Wait for the summer and have another six months on the bench?
  • David Ornstein reporting that Lingard wants to stay and fight for his place at Old Trafford.

Didn't realise it was July again.

But if it's true, what does that say about Lingard? Can't see him getting any minutes under Ragnarok, or whatever his name is, so what's the plan? Wait for the summer and have another six months on the bench?

Being cynical, maybe this is an article designed to make purchasing teams feel like it won't be as easy as they may have thought to get hold of him. Man Utd aren't going to let him go for cheap still (as they don't need the money), so if the word is that he wants to stay put and fight for his place, someone offering him a contract might feel they need to give him an inflated wage. Also, if he goes on a free in the summer his wages and signing on fee will be massive, so staying and 'fighting' for a place could really be staying and waiting for a fat cheque in June.
  • From a financial aspect, it obviously makes sense for him to stay there and collect his wages waiting to be free to sign/do as he pleases in the summer. So I wouldnt blame him for that. If he does indeed wish to still stay and think the new manager will give him sufficient game time then that makes me a lot more skeptical.

The style/formation and roles within it are well known to people who understand R.R.s methods/ideals. The system is pretty clear and requires certain things from its players. If Jesse thinks hes a fit for one of those places, Ralf doesn't seem to be showing it. That said, with the covid cancellations and new manager just in (a bit like Spurs) perhaps recent history/getting to know the manager will make decisions a bit clearer.

As it stands at the moment, barely a day goes by without the media detailing several United players and their impending moves (Martial is current flavour). For United, the only incentive they have to let Jesse go on loan would be for the other team to pay his wages. If they try to sell him I dont see how they can command any real sort of fee and ultimately it'll be his choice as to whether he stays on until the summer or makes a decision to play all the time at West Ham, Everton, Newcastle etc
  • Lingard isn't the major problem area. Defence and most importantly another Striker.
  • I think it says, I am settled personally in Manchester and will re-start my career as a free agent in the summer, at present my stock is high due to my last loan spell, should I go somewhere on loan now and not emulate that immediately my negotiating power will be reduced. Sounds sensible to me, unambitious perhaps but sensible.
  • Looks like Hazard won't be returning to the Premier League in January as his wife is "with sprog" for the fifth time and doesn't want to leave Madrid (Sun)
This discussion has been closed.