Transfer Deadline Day: Skype to be set to 'busy'

123457»

Comments

• Oh well, Coufal up front against Kidderminster.
  • Sky (and Ex) saying we tried a late move for Zapata which wasn't done in time

What a fiasco
  • How can there be no forwards out there that improves the team but then all of a sudden on the last day there are 5 or 6. How convenient that we ran out of time.
  • Hamstew said:

How can there be no forwards out there that improves the team but then all of a sudden on the last day there are 5 or 6. How convenient that we ran out of time.

Come on Ham, Sulli did try ............................. didn't he?
  • Yet another window we are net down on squad, we let players go, they could have at least given us an illusion of a full bench, we put in record bids well under the market value for players, a typical DS move as he thinks we are stupid and think he has tried. Nothing unexpected for this mob really. No doubt in summer we will wait until late again, rinse repeat then sale
  • Probably no more new recruits until the shysters have lined their pockets and gone. Just hope that Declan isn't part of the money making process.
  • I honestly think that as custodians of our club (their words, remember), the board should release Moyes' list to the fans. At least offer some transparency as to how shambolic our transfer strategy is.

I mean, If Nunez and Zapata were on there, irrespective of how far down, why were bids only made on day 31 of 31 of a transfer window? Presumably this list would have been started last January, when Moyes agreed to let Haller go, so the club have had over a year to identify and sound out a replacement.

The only reason I can think that they left it so late is that they didn't want to deals to happen. Absolute best case scenario is that they genuinely wanted the players and left it to the last minute to try to get the cheapest possible deal, but even this demonstrates incompetence on an industrial scale because of the risk involved.

Nunez had a £100m release clause. And he appears to have been way down the list of targets, so who the hell was top of Moyes' list? Lewandowski? Haaland? As has been said many times in this thread, there must be realistic options in world football that were available, affordable and could improve our striker options. It's a huge failing on Moyes, Newman and Sullivan to not have found any, IMO.
  • Yet another window we are net down on squad, we let players go, they could have at least given us an illusion of a full bench, we put in record bids well under the market value for players, a typical DS move as he thinks we are stupid and think he has tried. Nothing unexpected for this mob really. No doubt in summer we will wait until late again, rinse repeat then sale

I'm as disappointed as anyone but we haven't "let players go"

Odubeko, Alves & Coventry haven't played this season for us and neither would have even if our squad was decimated

Hoping we can see some of Alese, Baptiste, Ashby, Ekwah, Perking, Oxo-Flex, Longelo etc . although I'm pessimistic
  • Not a dicky bird on the OS. Probably trying to recruit a top PR person to spin this one.
    I can’t remember when, if ever, we failed to sign anyone even a loanee.
  • Morning all, I have posted on threads in the past, but i mainly read and enjoy the comments you all post. However, I really need to vent my frustration this morning. Yes, we have a much better team than we had a few years ago and Moyes has done wonders. This was however the time for us to push on. When are we ever going to get a chance to secure another European place again? Villa and Newcastle (it they stay up) will be different animals next season. United, Arsenal and spurs are all having bad seasons. This was the perfect time to try and invest and get European football again next year. We may have not lost players, but did we really have players we could lose? I'd be surprised if we finished above 8th this season. Then no doubt we'd lose rice in the summer. I'm more disappointed in myself that I allowed myself to believe we'd try and be ambitious. Sorry for the rant! :)
  • I am surprised that we didn't even get linked with a Salthouse reject

Odubeko, Alves & Coventry haven't played this season for us and neither would have even if our squad was decimated

Hoping we can see some of Alese, Baptiste, Ashby, Ekwah, Perking, Oxo-Flex, Longelo etc . although I'm pessimistic
    Not trying to be pedantic, but we have. Winston Reid was named in our first team squad at the start of the season and was later released. Granted, he was unlikely to play, but he was an option. Released but not replaced. Alves was also sold (the board have made a profit this window at least) and not replaced.

Add to that the season-ending injury to Ogbonna (who has not been replaced), and our options at CB are lighter than they were when the season kicked off.

On the youth, yes, it's an opportunity. Hopefully a good number of them will play at the weekend, but generally, Moyes has been reluctant to use them. Can't see that changing unless there's an injury crisis (even then he's likely to play players out of position instead).
  • I am surprised that we didn't even get linked with a Salthouse reject

We were. Rhys Healey (played most of his career at Championship/League One level, currently with Toulouse in Ligue 2) was linked as a fall back option. Rumour is he was offered to Moyes but rejected.
  • Morning all, I have posted on threads in the past, but i mainly read and enjoy the comments you all post. However, I really need to vent my frustration this morning. Yes, we have a much better team than we had a few years ago and Moyes has done wonders. This was however the time for us to push on. When are we ever going to get a chance to secure another European place again? Villa and Newcastle (it they stay up) will be different animals next season. United, Arsenal and spurs are all having bad seasons. This was the perfect time to try and invest and get European football again next year. We may have not lost players, but did we really have players we could lose? I'd be surprised if we finished above 8th this season. Then no doubt we'd lose rice in the summer. I'm more disappointed in myself that I allowed myself to believe we'd try and be ambitious. Sorry for the rant! :)

No need to apologise. A lot of us feel the same way. 100% an opportunity lost, particularly, as you say, other clubs seem to be getting themselves together.
  • I woke up this morning having had a dream that we didn’t sign anyone this window. Alan Shearer said “you don’t win anything with kids”, but we beat Barcelona in the Europa League Final with Oko-Flex scoring the winner, and Rice having lifted the cup signed up for another 5 years,.
    Well the first part of the dream came true, so roll on Alan Shearer! 😢⚒
  • From Sky and note the third paragraph. If that’s how long it takes us to firm up an interest with a bid we need to check out other clubs under 9’s for future signings.

West Ham failed in a late bid to sign Atalanta striker Duvan Zapata on Deadline Day.

It is understood the club submitted a deal sheet to the Premier League, but failed to get the transfer over the line for the Colombia international.

The Hammers' interest in Zapata dates back to at least 2013, when he played for Estudiantes in Argentina.
  • Which suggests Zapata was a panic offer. Which suggests our strategy is shot to pieces.
  • edited February 2022

Which suggests Zapata was a panic offer. Which suggests our strategy is shot to pieces.

Can’t be true - °he doesn’t fit Moyes profile, so we wouldn’t be interested. 😂 Remember, “trust in Moyes”.
    He’s got this window very wrong!
  • Which suggests Zapata was a panic offer. Which suggests our strategy is shot to pieces.

Is he better than Yarmo? If yes then he meets your criteria. 🤔
  • It's that bad that I'm actually jealous of Sunderland for signing Defoe.

Not trying to be pedantic, but we have. Winston Reid was named in our first team squad at the start of the season and was later released. Granted, he was unlikely to play, but he was an option. Released but not replaced. Alves was also sold (the board have made a profit this window at least) and not replaced.

Add to that the season-ending injury to Ogbonna (who has not been replaced), and our options at CB are lighter than they were when the season kicked off.

On the youth, yes, it's an opportunity. Hopefully a good number of them will play at the weekend, but generally, Moyes has been reluctant to use them. Can't see that changing unless there's an injury crisis (even then he's likely to play players out of position instead).
    Winston Reid hasn't played for us since 2017, he was only egistered because we had spots free so we thought why not. He doesn't need to be replaced as his contribution this season would've been 0 minutes.

Ok we made a "net profit" of like £1mil, but we were 4th highest net spend in the summer, probably still top 5 amongst the entire league over both Windows

As I said, I'm as frustrated as any but this point is not one of them, if anything its removed deadweight and youngsters who aren't cutting the grade and giving ones who are a chance (Coventry, Odubeko and Alves have all had unsuccessful loans in an inferior leagues)

You can't just buy a player every time you get an injury...if Zoumas was also serious i'd agree but hes already back, if we had another CB next year we would be sitting with 5 CBs in the summer, meaning we'd HAVE to sell if we wanted to bring another in

We need reinforcements, but I don't agree that we've lost players or we are significantly weaker now
  • Mods, I've opened a thread for a more general discussion around our transfer strategy, so please feel free to close this one.
  • I wouldn't go that far OCS.
  • I think Summer could be a monumental disaster of a window.
  • ........... oh sorry, you can't see me. I'm shaking my head in disbelief that we didn't get at least one new signing
  • edited February 2022

Yet another window we are net down on squad, we let players go, they could have at least given us an illusion of a full bench, we put in record bids well under the market value for players, a typical DS move as he thinks we are stupid and think he has tried. Nothing unexpected for this mob really. No doubt in summer we will wait until late again, rinse repeat then sale

Winston Reid hasn't played for us since 2017, he was only egistered because we had spots free so we thought why not. He doesn't need to be replaced as his contribution this season would've been 0 minutes.

Ok we made a "net profit" of like £1mil, but we were 4th highest net spend in the summer, probably still top 5 amongst the entire league over both Windows

As I said, I'm as frustrated as any but this point is not one of them, if anything its removed deadweight and youngsters who aren't cutting the grade and giving ones who are a chance (Coventry, Odubeko and Alves have all had unsuccessful loans in an inferior leagues)

You can't just buy a player every time you get an injury...if Zoumas was also serious i'd agree but hes already back, if we had another CB next year we would be sitting with 5 CBs in the summer, meaning we'd HAVE to sell if we wanted to bring another in

We need reinforcements, but I don't agree that we've lost players or we are significantly weaker now
    Equally then, why name Reid at all? If there's no intention of playing him, why name him? I suspect just to make the squad look bigger than it actually was.

Re buying a CB to replace Ogbonna; it's not just about the short-term. Og will be 34 in the summer and has suffered a serious knee injury. There's no guarantee he'll be back next season. We could have signed his long-term replacement in January, who could have helped us this season, and then, if Og broke down on his return, kept his place.

Moyes has never rated Diop, and has been 4th choice pretty much throughout Moyes' time here. He'll be gone in the summer anyway so I honestly don't think there was any reason not to bring in a CB in January.

Equally then, why name Reid at all? If there's no intention of playing him, why name him? I suspect just to make the squad look bigger than it actually was.

Re buying a CB to replace Ogbonna; it's not just about the short-term. Og will be 34 in the summer and has suffered a serious knee injury. There's no guarantee he'll be back next season. We could have signed his long-term replacement in January, who could have helped us this season, and then, if Og broke down on his return, kept his place.

Moyes has never rated Diop, and has been 4th choice pretty much throughout Moyes' time here. He'll be gone in the summer anyway so I honestly don't think there was any reason not to bring in a CB in January.

It's exactly the same as why we used to register Xande Silva...because why not...you don't have empty spots and then just not use them especially if we ar paying for them, it's basically an insurance that if they aren't sold they can be used in a crisis

I think we need to look for a long term CB but is January the best time?

If we are going to sign a CB to partner Zouma the next 5 years why would we purchase them in a window where prices are 50-100% more expensive than in the summer? Its just not a good strategy

The striker situation if different but we have 4 senior CBs at the club if we were going to buy one it would either restrict us in the summer or it would've meant Diop going (as you said he isn't fancied) which would still eave us with 4
  • I don't buy into this 'January doesn't offer good value' argument. It may not be the best time, but it's still an option.

Caleta-Car was available for £15m. He certainly wasn't subject to January tax. Moyes has been after him for two years, so why didn't we get this deal done?

A better defender than Diop and Dawson could have been the difference between 6th and 8th this season. We finish 8th and maybe Moyes can't get the defender he wants in the summer. Then we're back round the houses again.

I just think, in our position and with money supposedly available, we could have taken a bit of a risk on players that maybe weren't perfect, but could have still made us stronger.
  • As a new thread has been created for business and disappointment chat, I’m going to close this thread.
This discussion has been closed.